macbob
4 years ago
Dan Devine really hosed Starr in 1974 by trading 1st, 2nd, & 3rd round picks in 75 and 1st & 2nd in 76 for 34 year old John Hadl (and then leaving for Notre Dame at the end of 74). Both years our draft position ended up in the top 10.

DD traded for Hadl 10 days after he threw 6-16 for 59 yds and 2 interceptions in a loss to the Packers and was beaten out of the Rams startiing QB by James Harris.

Hadl's record as a Packer: 7 wins -15 losses; with 9 TDs and 29 Ints (amazing they won that many games with QB stats like that).

It wasn't all Hadl's fault--the OL was porous and Hadl wasn't exactly the most mobile QB.

Packers traded him at the end of 75 and he finished out his career as the Oilers backup QB.

The Rams in the meantime turned the 5 draft picks into a 64-25-1 record over the next six years.

It amused me that the Vikings did the same thing when they traded Hershel Walker in 89. Amused me less when the Cowboys kept knocking us out of the playoffs in the early 90s...

UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
4 years ago
nerdmann
4 years ago
Bart held the door for my dad at an insurance sales meeting back in the 80s. My dad remarked about what a great guy Bart was. Didn't have to do that. Went out of his way for my dad, who wasn't even the boss man at that job.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
4 years ago
A couple of more stories from ESPN.
Bart Starr was 'the boss,' but he was 'such a gentleman' 

"Dan (Devine) was the one who hired me so when Dan left, I thought I might have trouble," Harlan said. "And the day Bart was hired [in 1975], he called me at home and said, 'I want you to help me and take over doing all the contracts.'

Remembering Bart Starr

The legendary Packers quarterback, son of a tough-love World War II veteran, was the player who made Vince Lombardi's dynasty possible. Ian O'Connor »

"I said, 'Bart, it's going to be an honor to work for you.' He said, 'You won't work for me, you'll work with me.' And that was just the way he handled things. He was the boss, but yet he was such a gentleman."

Bart Starr was somehow vastly underrated in his era

He never passed for 2,500 yards in a season, never threw more than 16 touchdowns in a season. He averaged 19.5 pass attempts per game in his 14 years as a starter. But as a starter, Starr won five NFL titles -- as many as Unitas, Brett Favre, Joe Namath, Steve Young and Dan Marino combined.

And Starr is the only quarterback in pro football history to win three titles in a row. He lost just one of 10 playoff starts -- the first one, in 1960, when the Philadelphia Eagles beat the Packers in the title game at Franklin Field. Starr's .900 playoff winning percentage is the best in NFL history.

Unitas had a passer rating of 68.9 in his postseason career. Starr's career postseason passer rating was a gaudy 104.8, the highest in NFL history, safely ahead of the No. 2, Kurt Warner (102.8 career postseason rating).

Imagine this for mind-blowing accuracy and proficiency: In 10 postseason games, Starr threw the football 213 times -- and he had just three interceptions.

My Starr story is the same one shared by tens of thousands.

Every year the Packers bring out former players. One at a time. With each name the fans would cheer. Some would be louder and longer than for others but the fans appreciate all former players.

Always last was Bart. I am sure it wasn't vanity on his part. I can well imagine he didn't want the limelight. But he also realized if he came out sooner, other players would miss their ovations. If you never experienced it, imagine the roar of the crowd after the game winning touchdown in the final 10 seconds of a Super Bowl. It might not be quite that loud, but to me, it sure seemed like it was. People standing on their feet giving Bart such a cheer and it would go on for the longest time. I am so disappointed we will never do it again. Perhaps the Packers will put a video of him on the board for us.

UserPostedImage
KRK
  • KRK
  • Veteran Member
4 years ago
Our Football Team Just Go A lot Better

UserPostedImage
In Luce tua Videmus Lucem KRK
Cheesey
4 years ago
I heard they are going to have some kind of remembrance for him in Green Bay, just don’t know when it will be yet.
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
4 years ago

In 10 postseason games, Starr threw the football 213 times -- and he had just three interceptions.

wpr wrote:

Not only was his postseason interception rate an unearthly low 1.4 percent, but he threw 15 touchdowns, posting an astronomical postseason touchdown percentage of 7.0.

By way of comparison, Tom Brady's postseason numbers are 2.1 percent and 4.6 percent, respectively.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
4 years ago

Favre told SiriusXM NFL Radio on Tuesday that, after every game, he’d receive a letter from Starr.

“I think the thing that kind of tells you a lot about what type of guy he is, there wasn’t a game that I didn’t get a letter from him, whether it be complimenting me on how I played or the fact that we won, or ‘keep your chin up, it will get better,'” Favre said. “I mean, you think about the games that I played, that’s a lot of games. To get a personal note from Bart each and every time, I’m not gonna lie, it made me feel pretty special.”

In 2016, Starr’s wife, Cherry, said that the two men had a memorable moment when Favre’s jersey was retired.

“He looked up at Brett, and Brett looked down at him, he looked up and he said, ‘I love you, Brett,'” Cherry Starr said, via the Pro Football Hall of Fame’s website. “And Brett looked down with tears in his eyes and said, ‘I love you too, Bart.’ It was the sweetest moment.”

Mike Florio  wrote:

I think a lot of Packers fans realized that Bart and Brett had a pretty good relationship. It's nice that Florio is letting everyone else know too.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
4 years ago

UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
4 years ago
Here's a link to some more stories .

I like Troy Aikman's line.
Hall of Fame quarterback Troy Aikman on a surprise visit from Starr:

To this day, not sure how he even knew I was there.

UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (8h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (15h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (16h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (16h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (19h) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (22h) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (22h) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (22h) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (22h) : Against tbd
dfosterf (22h) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (22h) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (22h) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (22h) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (22h) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (22h) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (23h) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (23h) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (23h) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
dfosterf (25-Mar) : A major foul will be enforced on the offense if there are offsetting penalties in a change of possession situation
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Teams will receive a 3rd challenge if 1 was successful. Previously, it took 2
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

20h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.