wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
4 years ago

Big additions are a theme here, as the Packers’ new safeties combine with young corners to give this group a very high ceiling. The safeties are almost all new. The cornerbacks are largely the same. But that combination of new arrivals and development of young players gives the Green Bay Packers ’ secondary a chance to be a very good unit in 2019, and some people around the NFL are beginning to take notice as OTAs are set to begin on Monday.
This week, Danny Kelly of The Ringer listed the seven most underrated position groups in the NFL , and the Packers’ secondary was one of the highlights of the list. In a sense, Kelly is looking at the potential ceiling for these units compared to their wider expectations and finds that this gap is massive for the Packers’ defensive backs: “Put together, Green Bay has amassed one of the most talented, versatile, and high-upside secondaries in the NFL.”
The projected safety duo of Adrian Amos  and first-round pick Darnell Savage, Jr. appears to be a perfect set of complements for each other on the back end. Although the initial analysis suggests that Amos  will be more of the in-the-box safety while Savage will play a center field role, that’s not how they must line up. Both players are capable of playing in any safety alignment, while Savage has plenty of slot corner experience as well. Ultimately, though, it is Amos’ ability to always reliably carry out his assignment that should allow Savage to roam more freely and hunt out big plays.
That versatility will be critical for the Packers on the back end this season. After all, Mike Pettine loves to disguise pressure on the quarterback as well as hide his coverage schemes, something that these players should help him do. As Kelly notes, this year’s group of safeties “should give (Pettine) the ability to deploy his safety group in any number of schemes or coverage looks—and should augment his ability to send blitzes from everywhere on the field.”
Then there’s the cornerback group. Admittedly, optimism among Packers fans about the position is centered around the development of young talent. Sure, Tramon Williams  is a steadying presence and will likely contribute in the slot a fair amount, but it is the top-end talent and swagger of Jaire Alexander  that will lead this group on the field. A full offseason of development on man coverage should help Josh Jackson  as well, and for Kevin King , it’s all about staying healthy rather than worrying about development. Kelly didn’t even get a chance to dig deeper into the depth chart either, where Tony Brown  projects as a physical, athletic number five cornerback and Ka’Dar Hollman brings exceptional speed and tenacity to the table.
Adding the Packers’ defensive backfield to a list of units that includes the 49ers ’ defensive line (with new additions Nick Bosa and Dee Ford ), the Colts ’ receivers (which added Parris Campbell and Devin Funchess ) and the Falcons ’ offensive line (first-round picks in Chris Lindstrom and Kaleb McGary) shows that big additions are a theme here. These groups all have received significant investments from their GMs this offseason, and are looking for big steps forward in 2019.
Here’s hoping that the Packers’ secondary stays healthy, because if they do — and if the revamped pass rush in front of them does as well — this defense could get very good very quickly.

[/URL]      

Continue Reading @ [url=https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2019/5/18/18630513/packers-young-secondary-is-among-the-most-underrated-units-in-the-nfl]Evan "Tex" Western 

Evan "Tex" Western wrote:

It should be an exciting year for the GB DBs. I am looking for the 2nd year players to take a step up.
UserPostedImage
KRK
  • KRK
  • Veteran Member
4 years ago
The group should be aided by a vastly improved pass-rush and likely improved health of the defensive line.

For those of us clamoring to keep Pettine, he needs to coach em up....no excuses. My concerns:
[list][*]alot of new faces may take time to learn[*]still weak at ILB[*]We looked like crap agains any team that ran no-huddle last year...they need to be ready[/list]That notwithstanding, I am very excited about this defense.
In Luce tua Videmus Lucem KRK
play2win
4 years ago
To me, the DBs here will be a strength of our team, in terms of a starting unit. Loaded with a great mix of size, speed, experience and instincts. It is a young group, and I wonder if anyone will push Williams for a position on this team? Seems he doesn't have the speed to keep up like he used to, but, would love for GB to offer him a coaching position if they deem necessary to keep younger and faster players. His experience is indeed valuable, and he could be an important part of a pick party with this new pass rush. I could easily see the group break down to some variation of these 10:

Alexander - Hollman - Brown
Savage - Hamilton
Amos - Greene
King - Jackson - Williams

Maybe Jackson and Hamilton flip positions, maybe Williams backs up Savage. This is going to be a serious camp battle for sure.
nerdmann
4 years ago
King needs to stay healthy.

Jackson needs to not grab WRs. He can be an Al Harris type, but he can't be drawing flags.

It will be interesting to see if we can stay healthier under the new regime. DB has been one area of constant attrition.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
gbguy20
4 years ago
The whole team has been in attrition for much of the last decade.
sschind
4 years ago
In a sense I agree but as a whole I think they are still too unproven to be rated high enough to not be considered under rated. I do think people are over looking them and they will end up being much higher than people think but I completely understand why they are being over looked. IMO Amos is the only one of significance who has shown enough to be rated in the first place. Alexander looked great last year but he is only in his second year. I expect Savage to be...well I expect him to be savage but he is a rookie. King needs to stay healthy and Jackson needs consistency.

I really like this group and I expect great things from them but if you consider the youth and inexperience I really don't see how you could rate them very high unless you are going strictly on potential.
play2win
4 years ago
wpr, the pass rush we now have is really going to help this group go over the top. I'm right with you that this is going to be super special.
Nonstopdrivel
4 years ago
I think we should bring this young man in for a look:

UserPostedImage
gbguy20
4 years ago
I thought they made plate collisions illegal now?
Cheesey
4 years ago
They are illegal in the pros now.

Anyway, I think the point was that our defense needs to attack like that. Not like a bunch of pansies.
On paper our D looks better. But whether or not that plays out on the field, only time will tell.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (1h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (1h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (3h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (5h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (5h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (8h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (9h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (19h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.