buckeyepackfan
4 years ago

If Davis does make the 53 — something that looks more likely now than it did before spring practices — there should be a role for him on offense. Spring headlines around the NFL should always be taken with a grain of salt. However, dismissing them out of hand is equally foolish as taking them as gospel, and for that reason, Green Bay Packers  fans must pay attention to a player who has largely been an afterthought this offseason.
That player is Trevor Davis , the former University of California wideout who was a fifth-round draft pick back in 2016. Davis, who is entering his fourth year in the NFL, has to this point been almost entirely a non-factor as a receiver, only making special teams contributions as a gunner and return man. Indeed, Davis has just eight career receptions for 94 yards and one touchdown, compared to 448 yards on punt returns and another 791 yards on kickoff returns.
However, the word out of Packers OTAs and now the first day of minicamp suggest that Davis is a different player at this point in 2019, and that he will threaten to make noise on offense for the first time. Head coach Matt LaFleur praised Davis’ work this offseason on Tuesday afternoon : “A guy who is forgotten a little bit is Trevor Davis . He’s made a lot of great plays down the field,” he said. “I’ve been really impressed with him, I feel like he’s come a long way. I think the effort, the intensity level at which he practices has certainly improved. I’m excited for him come training camp.”
That answer from LaFleur came largely unprompted after he rattled off a list of the young receivers who have impressed him in the spring. For now, Marquez Valdes-Scantling  is running with the first-team — notably ahead of Geronimo Allison  on Tuesday when the Packers opened up with two boundary receivers, suggesting that Allison  is destined for a primary role in the slot — and MVS got the first name-check from his coach. LaFleur also mentioned the other contenders, Equanimeous St. Brown , J’Mon Moore , and Jake Kumerow , before getting to Davis. But once he had the opportunity to talk about the fourth-year pro, he went on for a while.
With Davis’ impressive speed — 4.42 seconds in the 40 at the 2016 Combine, with a blistering start of 1.51 seconds in the first ten yards — it’s not difficult to see where he could potentially fit into the offense. He could provide the Packers with a tantalizing deep threat on the boundary opposite Davante Adams. Of course, Valdes-Scantling  appears to have the starting job in that role largely carved out, but Davis’ ability to make tacklers miss when the ball is in his hands adds another dimension to his game.
Still, Davis may need more than just intensity and a few nice deep balls in training camp to guarantee himself a spot on the 53-man roster come September. After all, the rest of the players competing for roster spots seem to draw similar praise to this point. But what likely distinguishes Davis from the other is, of course, his return ability.
Special teams coordinator Shawn Mennenga touched on that area when he spoke on Tuesday . “(Trevor has) continued to get better through the spring and (I’m) excited about where he’s trending to and where he’s projecting to,” Mennenga told reporters. “He’s got a lot of big-play ability.” However, Davis’ abilities on coverage units is as important to Mennenga as his return ability: “The thing I think people forget about is he’s also a very good cover player. He’s a very good gunner and he’s a very good cover player on kickoffs. To get a guy who can return both punts and kickoffs and cover kicks is invaluable.”
Ultimately, Davis may earn his roster spot based largely on his special teams abilities. But if he does get a spot on the 53, expect LaFleur and company to find roles and opportunities for him on offense. Through 29 games over three years, Davis played a total of 193 offensive snaps. Based on recent comments, he might hit that number again in 2019 alone if he makes the squad.

[/URL]      

Continue Reading @ [url=https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2019/6/11/18661805/trevor-davis-packers-playing-time-offense-2019-not-just-special-teams-returner-gunner]Evan "Tex" Western 

Evan "Tex" Western wrote:

Well this really could shake things up.
All these recievers stay healthy and there is going to be some tough cuts at the end of the preseason .

Stiff competition can only be a plus for the team!
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
nerdmann
4 years ago
Dude has run a 4.3, no? He's a speed guy.

Man if he could run routes, imagine the speed we'd have at this position. Let's face it, this is basically his third year. If TD makes the team, Allison doesn't.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Zero2Cool
4 years ago

Dude has run a 4.3, no? He's a speed guy.

Man if he could run routes, imagine the speed we'd have at this position. Let's face it, this is basically his third year. If TD makes the team, Allison doesn't.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

He ran a 4.3?
UserPostedImage
gbguy20
4 years ago
He ran 4.42 according to the article. I doubt Allison gets cut after the contract he just signed.
nerdmann
4 years ago

He ran a 4.3?

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

4.42 was his combine time.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
KRK
  • KRK
  • Veteran Member
4 years ago
Gee...and if I recall most of the opinions correctly from the roster experts, WR was an area we were devoid of talent, other than Adams.

How a change in coaching changes things.
In Luce tua Videmus Lucem KRK
sschind
4 years ago

Gee...and if I recall most of the opinions correctly from the roster experts, WR was an area we were devoid of talent, other than Adams.

How a change in coaching changes things.

Originally Posted by: KRK 

Not so much devoid of talent but devoid of anyone who has proven to be reliable. Lots of talent and lots of potential but other than a some flashes from the rookies and a very good first 4 games from Allison last year there is a lot to get excited about but not much to take to the bank.

beast
4 years ago
Davis always gets hyped in OTAs for standing out and making plays at WRs... until the pads go on in training camp and he disappears.

Stop the Davis hype until he freaking does something in pads please.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
4 years ago

Davis always gets hyped in OTAs for standing out and making plays at WRs... until the pads go on in training camp and he disappears.

Stop the Davis hype until he freaking does something in pads please.

Originally Posted by: beast 

Seems to me he was never big on route running. If he can figure that out, he has a shot.

He is a bit of a cream puff, but so was Don Beebe. For me, his problem is more learning how to run routes. If he's doing that, it would be significant. Imo
Cheesey
4 years ago
If David is serious about keeping his job, he better figure out how to be able to do something on offense.
We have too many WRs that sure look like they can be a big help on offense.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (8h) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (8h) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (8h) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (20h) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (20h) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Stefon Diggs' trade will not be processed as a post-June 1 designation, so that is just over $31 million in dead cap this year.
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Bills trading WR Stefon Diggs to the Texans in exchange for a 2025 2nd-round pick. (via @rapsheet)
beast (3-Apr) : Using Patterson as RB and RB/WR tweener... so I think they also signed Patterson as a 3rd down RB, not just a kick returner as articles are
beast (3-Apr) : I think PFT missed the real Steelers/Patterson connection, Steelers new OC Arthur Smith has been Patterson's head coach the last 3 years
wpr (2-Apr) : It has Martha. I was stunned when I was in HS to learn Iowa was still playing half court BB in the 70's.
Martha Careful (2-Apr) : Caitlin Clark, Angel Reese...women's sports has come a long way. GREAT TO SEE!!
Martha Careful (31-Mar) : Happy Easter everyone. I hope you all have a great day.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
6h / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

15h / Random Babble / Martha Careful

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

22h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

8-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.