buckeyepackfan
4 years ago

If Davis does make the 53 — something that looks more likely now than it did before spring practices — there should be a role for him on offense. Spring headlines around the NFL should always be taken with a grain of salt. However, dismissing them out of hand is equally foolish as taking them as gospel, and for that reason, Green Bay Packers  fans must pay attention to a player who has largely been an afterthought this offseason.
That player is Trevor Davis , the former University of California wideout who was a fifth-round draft pick back in 2016. Davis, who is entering his fourth year in the NFL, has to this point been almost entirely a non-factor as a receiver, only making special teams contributions as a gunner and return man. Indeed, Davis has just eight career receptions for 94 yards and one touchdown, compared to 448 yards on punt returns and another 791 yards on kickoff returns.
However, the word out of Packers OTAs and now the first day of minicamp suggest that Davis is a different player at this point in 2019, and that he will threaten to make noise on offense for the first time. Head coach Matt LaFleur praised Davis’ work this offseason on Tuesday afternoon : “A guy who is forgotten a little bit is Trevor Davis . He’s made a lot of great plays down the field,” he said. “I’ve been really impressed with him, I feel like he’s come a long way. I think the effort, the intensity level at which he practices has certainly improved. I’m excited for him come training camp.”
That answer from LaFleur came largely unprompted after he rattled off a list of the young receivers who have impressed him in the spring. For now, Marquez Valdes-Scantling  is running with the first-team — notably ahead of Geronimo Allison  on Tuesday when the Packers opened up with two boundary receivers, suggesting that Allison  is destined for a primary role in the slot — and MVS got the first name-check from his coach. LaFleur also mentioned the other contenders, Equanimeous St. Brown , J’Mon Moore , and Jake Kumerow , before getting to Davis. But once he had the opportunity to talk about the fourth-year pro, he went on for a while.
With Davis’ impressive speed — 4.42 seconds in the 40 at the 2016 Combine, with a blistering start of 1.51 seconds in the first ten yards — it’s not difficult to see where he could potentially fit into the offense. He could provide the Packers with a tantalizing deep threat on the boundary opposite Davante Adams. Of course, Valdes-Scantling  appears to have the starting job in that role largely carved out, but Davis’ ability to make tacklers miss when the ball is in his hands adds another dimension to his game.
Still, Davis may need more than just intensity and a few nice deep balls in training camp to guarantee himself a spot on the 53-man roster come September. After all, the rest of the players competing for roster spots seem to draw similar praise to this point. But what likely distinguishes Davis from the other is, of course, his return ability.
Special teams coordinator Shawn Mennenga touched on that area when he spoke on Tuesday . “(Trevor has) continued to get better through the spring and (I’m) excited about where he’s trending to and where he’s projecting to,” Mennenga told reporters. “He’s got a lot of big-play ability.” However, Davis’ abilities on coverage units is as important to Mennenga as his return ability: “The thing I think people forget about is he’s also a very good cover player. He’s a very good gunner and he’s a very good cover player on kickoffs. To get a guy who can return both punts and kickoffs and cover kicks is invaluable.”
Ultimately, Davis may earn his roster spot based largely on his special teams abilities. But if he does get a spot on the 53, expect LaFleur and company to find roles and opportunities for him on offense. Through 29 games over three years, Davis played a total of 193 offensive snaps. Based on recent comments, he might hit that number again in 2019 alone if he makes the squad.

[/URL]      

Continue Reading @ [url=https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2019/6/11/18661805/trevor-davis-packers-playing-time-offense-2019-not-just-special-teams-returner-gunner]Evan "Tex" Western 

Evan "Tex" Western wrote:

Well this really could shake things up.
All these recievers stay healthy and there is going to be some tough cuts at the end of the preseason .

Stiff competition can only be a plus for the team!
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
nerdmann
4 years ago
Dude has run a 4.3, no? He's a speed guy.

Man if he could run routes, imagine the speed we'd have at this position. Let's face it, this is basically his third year. If TD makes the team, Allison doesn't.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Zero2Cool
4 years ago

Dude has run a 4.3, no? He's a speed guy.

Man if he could run routes, imagine the speed we'd have at this position. Let's face it, this is basically his third year. If TD makes the team, Allison doesn't.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

He ran a 4.3?
UserPostedImage
gbguy20
4 years ago
He ran 4.42 according to the article. I doubt Allison gets cut after the contract he just signed.
nerdmann
4 years ago

He ran a 4.3?

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

4.42 was his combine time.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
KRK
  • KRK
  • Veteran Member
4 years ago
Gee...and if I recall most of the opinions correctly from the roster experts, WR was an area we were devoid of talent, other than Adams.

How a change in coaching changes things.
In Luce tua Videmus Lucem KRK
sschind
4 years ago

Gee...and if I recall most of the opinions correctly from the roster experts, WR was an area we were devoid of talent, other than Adams.

How a change in coaching changes things.

Originally Posted by: KRK 

Not so much devoid of talent but devoid of anyone who has proven to be reliable. Lots of talent and lots of potential but other than a some flashes from the rookies and a very good first 4 games from Allison last year there is a lot to get excited about but not much to take to the bank.

beast
4 years ago
Davis always gets hyped in OTAs for standing out and making plays at WRs... until the pads go on in training camp and he disappears.

Stop the Davis hype until he freaking does something in pads please.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
4 years ago

Davis always gets hyped in OTAs for standing out and making plays at WRs... until the pads go on in training camp and he disappears.

Stop the Davis hype until he freaking does something in pads please.

Originally Posted by: beast 

Seems to me he was never big on route running. If he can figure that out, he has a shot.

He is a bit of a cream puff, but so was Don Beebe. For me, his problem is more learning how to run routes. If he's doing that, it would be significant. Imo
Cheesey
4 years ago
If David is serious about keeping his job, he better figure out how to be able to do something on offense.
We have too many WRs that sure look like they can be a big help on offense.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (5h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (12h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (13h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (14h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (17h) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (19h) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (19h) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (19h) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (19h) : Against tbd
dfosterf (19h) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (19h) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (19h) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (19h) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (19h) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (20h) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (20h) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (20h) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (20h) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
dfosterf (25-Mar) : A major foul will be enforced on the offense if there are offsetting penalties in a change of possession situation
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Teams will receive a 3rd challenge if 1 was successful. Previously, it took 2
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.