Discussion Board
Welcome Guest! You can login or register. Login or Register.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
buckeyepackfan  
#1 Posted : Monday, June 17, 2019 6:27:41 PM(UTC)
Evan " said: Go to Quoted Post
McCown is retiring, but one play will live on in the memories of Packers fans forever. Josh McCown is calling it quits. A veteran of 17 NFL seasons, McCown was a third-round draft pick of the Arizona Cardinals in 2002 who went on to play for seven different teams.
Green Bay Packers fans with short memories probably remember McCown as a thorn in their side in 2013. That year, McCown — then with the Chicago Bears — filled in for an injured Jay Cutler and led the Bears to a 3-2 record in his five starts. McCown almost certainly played better than Cutler did; he completed a higher percentage of his passes, had a much better yards per attempt number, and turned the football over far less than his counterpart. He also was the starter in week nine, helping the Bears to a 27-20 victory over the Packers when Aaron Rodgers suffered a broken collarbone.
However, ten years earlier, McCown was the architect of one of the most stunning throws in the league, and one that had a massive impact across the NFL and in Green Bay in particular. A second-year player at the time, McCown stepped in late in the season as the starter, taking over for Jeff Blake.
Entering week 17 of that season, the Packers and Minnesota Vikings were tied at 9-6. The teams split their season series, but Minnesota held the playoff tiebreaker due to a superior record against NFC teams. Beat the 3-12 Cardinals, and the Vikings were in the postseason. Lose and they would need to see the Packers lose to the 10-5 Broncos, who had already locked up a Wild Card spot and sat a number of starters.
To make things even more fun, the games kicked off within minutes of each other. However, it became clear that the onus would be on the Vikings, as the Packers drubbed the Broncos thanks to over 200 rushing yards by Ahman Green. However, Minnesota had trouble putting away the Cardinals, and after McCown led a touchdown drive to pull the Cardinals within five points, Arizona converted an onside kick to give them a chance.
That’s when McCown delivered the finest throw of his career (at least, the finest for Packers fans). With the clock ticking down and one final play on the season — and with nothing to play for — McCown lofted a pass to Nathan Poole in the back right corner of the end zone. Just listen to the reaction from Vikings radio announcer Paul Allen in the clip:

This throw and catch sent the Vikings home in January and gave the Packers a division title. Interestingly, though the Cardinals were 4-12 on the year, they also beat the Packers early in the season in an ugly 20-13 slog of a game.
Without this play, Packers fans would never have Al Harris’ walk-off pick-six against Matt Hasselbeck and the Seattle Seahawks in the Wild Card round a week later. Of course, they also would not have had 4th and 26 the following week against Philadelphia either, so perhaps that ends up being a wash.
But on the day that McCown hangs up his cleats for good, let’s all give him a hearty “thank you” for delivering the Packers to the postseason in 2003.

[/URL]

Continue Reading @ [url=https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2019/6/17/18682481/thanks-for-sending-the-packers-to-the-playoffs-in-2003-josh-mccown-nathan-poole-vikings-nooooooooooo]Evan "Tex" Western

Rookie Josh McCown puts Packers in playoffs while sending Vikings home!

17 year career!
Congratulations Josh!
gbguy20  
#2 Posted : Monday, June 17, 2019 7:10:43 PM(UTC)
thanks josh for reminding me how much i loved the push out rule.......and for sending us to the playoffs
Mucky Tundra  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, June 18, 2019 4:00:17 PM(UTC)
Article didn't mention that during the GB-Denver game Mike Sherman forbade the stadium staff from showing the Vikings-Cardinals score on the Titletron or announcing updates during the game. However, people in the boxes had access to tvs, changed the channel to Vikings game and gave updates to people below and info passed word of mouth around the whole stadium. The whole stadium knew before the PA people caved and announced the outcome.
wpr  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, June 18, 2019 4:59:01 PM(UTC)
Mucky Tundra said: Go to Quoted Post
Article didn't mention that during the GB-Denver game Mike Sherman forbade the stadium staff from showing the Vikings-Cardinals score on the Titletron or announcing updates during the game. However, people in the boxes had access to tvs, changed the channel to Vikings game and gave updates to people below and info passed word of mouth around the whole stadium. The whole stadium knew before the PA people caved and announced the outcome.

one of my cousins was sitting about 4 rows below the boxes. I sent him a text moments after the winning td but he already knew. Technology.
Rss Feed
Users browsing this topic
Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Notification

Icon
Error

Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (24m) : Packers inactives today include Jake Kumerow and Montravius Adams dealing with shoulder injuries, along with Dexter Williams, Ka'Dar Hollman, Oren Burks, Cole Madison and newly re-signed Adam Pankey.
Zero2Cool (1h) : or buy a MiniPC stick. $100 and plug that into your TV. So many options bud!
Zero2Cool (1h) : Connect your laptop to your TV. I do it all the time. HDMI is great baby!
buckeyepackfan (1h) : GAMEDAY! GO! PACK! GO!
buckeyepackfan (1h) : GOOD MORNING PACKER FANS!
gbguy20 (1h) : then again I should not complain bcuz bila us the best stream we have ever had
gbguy20 (1h) : wish there was a tv app so i didn't have to stream it on the laptop
Zero2Cool (2h) : bilasport is playing the damn Packers!
hardrocker950 (2h) : Local fox is playing the damn Viqueens
Mucky Tundra (20h) : Seat could be getting hot for Jim Harbaugh
Cheesey (21h) : I thought the first call was BS. But the 2nd legit
Cheesey (21h) : The Badgers will be in huge trouble for next week losing 2 starting DBs
Zero2Cool (21h) : Taylor is OK. Cramps. Might be cautious with him though.
Cheesey (22h) : Hopefully j. Taylor is ok
Zero2Cool (22h) : Badgers doing well so far
Zero2Cool (23h) : COLLEGE BADGERS WINNING YEAH
KRK (21-Sep) : Sorry that was supposed to say watching game day on ESPN
KRK (21-Sep) : if anybody is watching college game day today honey SBN, it seems that Lee Corso needs to hang it up.
gbguy20 (21-Sep) : legal battle ensues
gbguy20 (21-Sep) : yeah i guess its possible they try to get away without paying him
Zero2Cool (21-Sep) : Zero money for one game. He was due five million on the 23rd. Ruh oh
gbguy20 (20-Sep) : 9 mill for 1 game.
KRK (20-Sep) : Antonio Brown released by Patriots
KRK (20-Sep) : And he did it in very difficult playing conditions yesterday
Porforis (20-Sep) : Keep it up and he'll be a shew-min for pro bowl
gbguy20 (20-Sep) : he's got some really nice stats after 3 games...wow.
TheKanataThrilla (20-Sep) : Minshew
TheKanataThrilla (20-Sep) : Minkshew is such a great character. Pulling for him.
hardrocker950 (20-Sep) : Minshew making some nice throws
Cheesey (19-Sep) : He didn’t do much here the last several seasons. I’m not upset that he’s gone.
Cheesey (19-Sep) : The rams have several good players on D. I’m sure that made some openings for Matthews.
wpr (19-Sep) : I was going to check on CM3 stats but I didn't care to make the effort.
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : Pass him a cookie.
gbguy20 (19-Sep) : clay Matthews has 2 sacks, 1 FF and 6 tackles in his 2 games with the rams
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : @JuhKipp According to @PFF, the #Packers lead the NFL in QB pressures (44) after two weeks.
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : Great birthday present... bastids!
wpr (19-Sep) : yes its throw up jersey weekend. rah
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : is this a throwback jersey game?
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : We still have 6 WR on the active roster. No need to bring another WR.
TheKanataThrilla (19-Sep) : Was wondering if they would bring Teo Redding back. He had a few good games in the preseason
TheKanataThrilla (19-Sep) : Keon Hatcher back on the Packer PS
gbguy20 (19-Sep) : bdubs
gbguy20 (19-Sep) : go to the BW's where Jmike found a chicken head
Cheesey (19-Sep) : Cool Buckeye! Good for you!!!
buckeyepackfan (19-Sep) : 7 days I will be roaming The Mean Streets of Green Bay!
Cheesey (18-Sep) : Just read Davis sent to the Raiders
TheKanataThrilla (18-Sep) : We traded Trevor Davis
buckeyepackfan (18-Sep) : DD's son is a 4 star wr/db. Has received 22 offers.
buckeyepackfan (18-Sep) : Wisconsin has offered Christian Driver football scholarship .
Cheesey (18-Sep) : Ok Kevin! Just let me know if you hear anything either way!
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2019 Packers Schedule
Thursday, Sep 5 @ 7:20 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
BRONCOS
Thursday, Sep 26 @ 7:20 PM
EAGLES
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Cowboys
Monday, Oct 14 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
RAIDERS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 7:20 PM
Chiefs
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
Chargers
Sunday, Nov 10 @ 12:00 PM
PANTHERS
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ers
Sunday, Dec 1 @ 12:00 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 8 @ 12:00 PM
REDSKINS
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 12:00 PM
BEARS
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Lions
Think About It
Think About It
Recent Topics
14m / Random Babble / Cheesey

2h / Around The NFL / Zero2Cool

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

23h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

20-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / warhawk

20-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Porforis

19-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / yooperfan

18-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Cheesey

18-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

18-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Cheesey

18-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / KRK

18-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / go.pack.go.

17-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

17-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / KRK

Headlines