Discussion Board
KRK
  • KRK
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
2019-07-18T10:14:10Z
https://cheeseheadtv.com...adTv+%28Cheesehead+TV%29 

Rodgers elated over Packers' defensive acquisitions

Quote:

- One could argue it's been a long time since the Green Bay Packers have had a formidable defense to accompany a surging offense.

If all goes well, 2019 could be a great year.

On top of the coaching staff adjustments on the offensive side of the ball with the hiring of new head coach Matt LaFleur, offensive coordinator Nathaniel Hackett and quarterbacks coach Luke Getsy to aid Aaron Rodgers, the Packers spent big in free agency on acquisitions they hope get their defense over the hump.

Between outside linebackers Za'Darius and Preston Smith, as well as safety Adrian Amos, the Packers will spend just over $19.1 million dollars on those three contracts in year one. The cap hit for each player increases each season thereafter, signifying the acknowledgment of Rodgers' dwindling championship window entering his age 36 season.

On top of the defensive trio general manager Brian Gutekunst targeted in free agency, the Packers spent both of their first-round picks in April's draft on pass rusher Rashan Gary and safety Darnell Savage, who was already running with the first-team defense in minicamp.

While these new additions are finding their niche with Mike Pettine, returning players are hoping -- even expecting -- for a collective jump as a unit in their second season under the team's defensive coordinator.

"It's great," Rodgers told Chris Simms of NBC Sports this week. "Everything's new for those guys; they're going into their second year with Mike Pettine, but there's just a different feel.

"Blake [Martinez] is stepping into his role as a middle linebacker and owning it. We brought in some really good leadership with Adrian Amos at safety. We drafted a young kid who's really talented."

A hidden perk behind bringing aboard (Za'Darius) Smith is the flexibility he offers. While he'll be able to flip inside as opposed to standing up on the edge, doing so can open up a spot for either one of Gary or Kyler Fackrell, who is coming off of the first double-digit sack season of his career.

Pettine showcased his ability to not only disguise blitzes but send blitzers from various locations in his first season as the Packers' coordinator. Between the outside linebackers, interior defensive linemen -- Mike Daniels and Kenny Clark form one of the best duos in the league -- and a secondary who saw a multitude of free rushes at the opposing quarterback in 2018, the sky is the limit.

"I think the coolest thing is really the two outside linebackers. Just watching them just kind of fit in is really cool, Za'Darius and Preston -- and they're hungry. They're young kids who haven't won anything yet, so as an old guy, you love to see that.

"As much as you love the veterans, it's good to have some new energy and I like what our GM did bringing those guys in."

If he is excited, I am excited. I think he is one of the smartest guys in the building, and if he likes what he sees, great

Perhaps I am Pollyannsh but I can't remember the last time I felt like we had as good a chance as anyone to win it all. I am really looking forward to this year.
Cheesey
2019-07-18T14:23:39Z
I agree. The last few years I think Rodgers felt kind of like he was trying to swim upstream. Now he might not feel like he has to do it all himself.
Users browsing this topic
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (24-Sep) : @JimOwczarski Good news for the #Packers - Pro Bowl defensive tackle Kenny Clark returned to practice.
Zero2Cool (23-Sep) : That wouldn't have happened if Packers picked him.
Zero2Cool (23-Sep) : Eagles rookie WR Jalen Reagor has a UCL tear in his thumb, the team says. Likely will miss some time.
Zero2Cool (23-Sep) : @AdamSchefter The Chargers’ team doctor accidentally punctured his own quarterback Tyrod Taylor’s lung just before kickoff Sunday while trying to administer a pain-killing injection to the quarterback
wpr (23-Sep) : Very sad. Gale was a great man.
Zero2Cool (23-Sep) : Wow, Gale Sayers passed away. 77 years old.
Zero2Cool (23-Sep) : Thanks everyone.
Mucky Tundra (23-Sep) : Happy Birthday Zero2Forty! :D
Cheesey (23-Sep) : I meant TIME!
Cheesey (23-Sep) : Oh...my....that means you were only 29 when you brought the Wii over to me! Man, tim flys!😜
Zero2Cool (23-Sep) : Four. Zero.
Cheesey (22-Sep) : Hold old is ya, Zero? Are u a geezer yet? Happy Birthday!🎂
buckeyepackfan (22-Sep) : Happy Birthday Zero!
wpr (22-Sep) : HAPPY BIRTHDAY ZERO2COOL!!
Zero2Cool (22-Sep) : I can't look day of games cuz I change them and get it wrong lol
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : I orginally picked the Raiders but got cold feet after the Minny-Indy game+all the favorites winning this week :/
Zero2Cool (22-Sep) : Why the wow lol
Zero2Cool (22-Sep) : Picking Raiders, that a bad thing?? Or what
Smokey (22-Sep) : The Killers, I've heard better 70s garage bands.
Smokey (22-Sep) : Wow Zero picked "THE Raiders".
Smokey (22-Sep) : Wow Zero picked "THE Raiders".
Cheesey (22-Sep) : “Chucky” wearing a mask on his CHIN! Lots of good that does!!!😔😠
Cheesey (22-Sep) : Cheesey AND correct!😂
Smokey (22-Sep) : Cheesey, but correct.
Cheesey (22-Sep) : Man....watching the Saints game. Our D is going to have its hands full next week.
Zero2Cool (21-Sep) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur says Davante Adams wanted to go back in the game late yesterday, but LaFleur told him to take it easy with a big lead.
Zero2Cool (21-Sep) : @PFF Jaire Alexander: highest-graded CB in the NFL through Week 2 (86.3)
Zero2Cool (21-Sep) : @RapSheet #Vikings LB Anthony Barr has a torn pec and is out for the season. A difficult loss in a tough start to the season.
Zero2Cool (21-Sep) : Geez. Sutton with ACL too.
Zero2Cool (21-Sep) : @RapSheet The #Giants confirm that RB Saquon Barkley has a torn ACL. He’s out for the season.
Zero2Cool (21-Sep) : @TomPelissero #Packers C Corey Linsley left Sunday’s win after spraining the thumb on his snapping hand, source said. Should be OK moving forward, but one more thing for Aaron Rodgers’ banged-up line
Zero2Cool (21-Sep) : I'm pulling for the 16 and blank!
Smokey (21-Sep) : LOL
Smokey (21-Sep) : X3 ! A triple Wow !
beast (21-Sep) : I was coming to post, can you go 16-0 in pick'em this week! So many got so many right this week, but still 16-0? Wow
beast (21-Sep) : I was coming.to.post, can you go 16-0 in pick'em this week! So many got so many right this week, but still 16-0? Wow
beast (21-Sep) : I was coming.to.post, can you go 16-0 in pick'em this week! So many got so many right this week, but still 16-0? Wow
Smokey (21-Sep) : 15-0 looking for 16 in pick'em.
TheKanataThrilla (21-Sep) : Was so hoping the Seahawks would lose. Gotta have a pass option there.
Mucky Tundra (21-Sep) : Wild finish here
TheKanataThrilla (21-Sep) : I just discovered I liked the Cam Patriots more than the Brady Patriots. Still hate the Seahawks.
TheKanataThrilla (20-Sep) : Amazing final KC/Chargers
TheKanataThrilla (20-Sep) : Diggs is lighting it up in Buffalo. They are a well balanced team.
TheKanataThrilla (20-Sep) : I agree Zero to temper my expectations. Herbert wasn't supposed to play today. He is taking it to the Champs which is pretty impressive.
Zero2Cool (20-Sep) : Stefon Diggs had more receiving yards than the Vikings' whole team today
Zero2Cool (20-Sep) : People said Sam Darnold was the real deal too. Now they saying he's bust. Moral? People need to give three seasons before stating such things. 😂
Zero2Cool (20-Sep) : People said Sam Darnold was the real deal too. Now they saying he's bust. Moral? People need to give three seasons before stating such things. 😂
TheKanataThrilla (20-Sep) : OT Chargers/Chiefs great game. Herbert is the real deal
Zero2Cool (20-Sep) : @AndySlater Sad news to report. Patriots' RB James White's father was in a car crash today and did not survive. His mother was also in the car and is in critical condition. White's father, Tyrone, wa
TheKanataThrilla (20-Sep) : Lots of Lions fans up here in Canada. Feel so sorry for them.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2020 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 13 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Sep 20 @ 12:00 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Sep 27 @ 7:20 PM
Saints
Monday, Oct 5 @ 7:15 PM
FALCONS
Sunday, Oct 18 @ 3:25 PM
Buccaneers
Sunday, Oct 25 @ 12:00 PM
Texans
Sunday, Nov 1 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Thursday, Nov 5 @ 7:20 PM
49ers
Sunday, Nov 15 @ 12:00 PM
JAGUARS
Sunday, Nov 22 @ 12:00 PM
Colts
Sunday, Nov 29 @ 7:20 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Dec 6 @ 3:25 PM
EAGLES
Sunday, Dec 13 @ 12:00 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 20 @ 12:00 PM
PANTHERS
Sunday, Dec 27 @ 7:20 PM
TITANS
Sunday, Jan 3 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Think About It
Think About It
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Cheesey

4h / Random Babble / Cheesey

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / KRK

14h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buffstream.io

24-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

24-Sep / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

23-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

23-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

22-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

22-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

22-Sep / Random Babble / wpr

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2020 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.