Discussion Board
Welcome Guest! You can login or register. Login or Register.

wpr  
#1 Posted : Saturday, August 10, 2019 5:53:52 AM(UTC)
jsonline

Quote:
A foghorn reminiscent of the Minnesota Vikings' Gjallarhorn might not be the way to enhance home-field advantage at Lambeau Field, but Packers coach Matt LaFleur is open to other ideas.

Making Lambeau Field a place other teams hate to visit was on LaFleur's mind after Thursday's 28-26 preseason victory against the Houston Texans. He talked about creating "a true home-field advantage," but did not seem to be specifically critical of Packers fans so much as stating a philosophy.

"We've all been talking about how do we get this to be a tremendous home-field advantage," he said after his first home game at Lambeau Field.

It is amazing to me how myopic the franchise can be. They have spent millions doing research and trying to invent ways to get more fan excitement and participation during games. It has taken many different shapes in the past 20 years including the "Get Loud" electric signs that they flash during the game now culminating in the fog horn.

None of that matters. The Packers leadership fails to understand that the crowd volume of the noise is determined exclusively by the performance on the field. You can't artificially manufacture enthusiasm. I have watched/listened to fans roar in the first quarter then grow quieter as the game progressed because the team has let them down, yet again. Time and time again great 1st and 2nd down plays by the defense give way to absurd 3rd down conversions by the other team. (It's not something new. 4th and 26 anyone?) It's frustrating. Watching a mediocre team march right down the field and score is not exciting. It's frustrating. It's depressing. When some in the stands try to rally those around them to cheer, fans often tell them let the Packers get a few 3rd down stops THEN we will start to cheer louder. Perhaps it not being a true "fan". Perhaps it is their way of showing frustration with the product on the field.
nerdmann  
#2 Posted : Saturday, August 10, 2019 6:44:33 AM(UTC)
Don't they play Thank God I'm a Country Boy anymore? Laugh
Cheesey  
#3 Posted : Saturday, August 10, 2019 7:34:05 AM(UTC)
Wpr, you hit the nail on the head with your entire post!
When you wrote about the 2 great plays on first and second down, then giving up a big play in third....that is something that has gripped me for years! I can’t count the times I have seen that happen.
If you can’t perform on the field, a stupid horn isn’t going to artificially get fans excited.
When I first heard it in my TV, I thought maybe they were having technical difficulties.
If we have to copy the Vikings for anything, something is seriously wrong!
Make plays on the field, and the fans will get excited. You don’t need any tricks. Give them a real reason to cheer!
dhazer  
#4 Posted : Saturday, August 10, 2019 11:04:29 AM(UTC)
Didn't they close the one end of the stadium to add more seats but also help get it loud? I remember when they did it and watching the game and the announcers saying how loud it was and they could barely hear each other, but others hit it on the nail. The real fans aren't going to the game anymore either because the mediocre teams we've had or just the cost is to much. So they sell their tickets to which I thought i would never see to the other teams fans.
Zero2Cool  
#5 Posted : Saturday, August 10, 2019 11:23:49 AM(UTC)
dhazer said: Go to Quoted Post
Didn't they close the one end of the stadium to add more seats but also help get it loud? I remember when they did it and watching the game and the announcers saying how loud it was and they could barely hear each other, but others hit it on the nail. The real fans aren't going to the game anymore either because the mediocre teams we've had or just the cost is to much. So they sell their tickets to which I thought i would never see to the other teams fans.

Real fans go regardless if the team is mediocre or not. Head Meet Wall
Mucky Tundra  
#6 Posted : Saturday, August 10, 2019 1:32:26 PM(UTC)
I think another thing is with all the time stoppages for TV timeouts, official timeouts, team timeouts etc it really slows the flow of the game and makes it hard for sustained cheering.
Porforis  
#7 Posted : Sunday, August 11, 2019 9:27:27 PM(UTC)
I swear to freaking god, if they add that infernal foghorn to Lambeau Field or something similar, I'll probably watch all games on mute. That is SO freaking obnoxious.

First down? WHOO-OOOOOOOOO!

20 yard gain? WHOO-OOOOOOOOO!

Want a home field advantage? Play well at home. Find ways to pump the crowd up. Don't go with gimmicks.
PackerTraxx  
#8 Posted : Monday, August 12, 2019 1:19:52 PM(UTC)
OK - Which came first the chicken(cheering to help the D win 3rd down) or the egg(team stops 3rd down to get crowd cheering).
Zero2Cool  
#9 Posted : Monday, August 12, 2019 1:24:58 PM(UTC)
Did this happen during the preseason game? I didn't hear it or notice lol
KRK  
#10 Posted : Monday, August 12, 2019 1:25:41 PM(UTC)
Porforis Proudly Posted:
Quote:
Want a home field advantage? Play well at home. Find ways to pump the crowd up. Don't go with gimmicks.
Amen...just kick some ass on defense and it will happen.

I would also get rid of the lame "Do-do...do do do do GO PACK GO" cheer
  1. It sounds truly moronic, soft and like you are at cheerleader contest of pep rally instead of a football game
  2. Fans then rely on the lame ass artificial cheer to get them going.
wpr  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, August 14, 2019 8:38:41 PM(UTC)
PackerTraxx said: Go to Quoted Post
OK - Which came first the chicken(cheering to help the D win 3rd down) or the egg(team stops 3rd down to get crowd cheering).

It starts with the players on the field. They are the professionals. They lead, the fans follow/support them and their effort. They shouldn't say (implied) "we can't perform at a high level without the fans leading the way." That's lame.
wpr  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, August 14, 2019 8:43:09 PM(UTC)
Aaron Rodgers: Slash beer prices to get fans as loud as possible

Quote:
Aaron Rodgers wants lower beer prices and louder fans at Lambeau Field.

Rodgers said that for the fans to support the Packers while the defense is on the field, making beer cheap might be the answer.

“I’m up for anything that’s gonna get the fans as loud as possible,” Rodgers said. “Maybe slash some beer prices or something, would be a good idea.”

Domestic beers were selling for $8.25 for a 16-ounce can at Lambeau Field last year. If Rodgers succeeds in his campaign to get those prices down, he’ll become even more popular in Green Bay.

I don't drink but it does make sense. It would be a lot more rowdy. Sorta like Oakland or the old Cleveland dog pound.
gbguy20  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, August 14, 2019 8:43:50 PM(UTC)
I love that cheer. I'd like to steal jump around from the badges and get all of Lambeau to do it
Cheesey  
#14 Posted : Thursday, August 15, 2019 8:21:20 AM(UTC)
gbguy20 said: Go to Quoted Post
I love that cheer. I'd like to steal jump around from the badges and get all of Lambeau to do it

BADGES!?! We don’t need no stinkin’ badges!!!

(I know what you meant! Just having some fun!)LOL
Rss Feed