Discussion Board
nerdmann

Audio 

I hear varying reports on Jmon. But Kizer is getting panned. Sounds like we'll see what he's got in the first preseason game tho.

Sounds like they're afraid to put Aaron out there right now.
gbguy20
I read somewhere this is kizers 6th offense in 6 years. Set up for failure.
Cheesey
Well, EVERYONE is having to learn a new offense this year, so Kizer is in the same spot as everyone else.
It’s not like last year, where he was the only one.
Even Aaron Rodgers is having to learn it.
We will see how smart Kizer is. I HOPE he’s up to the task. I’d like to see a decent backup QB for a change.
buckeyepackfan
Since Gutey traded for Kizor, I doubt they will give up on him.
I compare Kizor to what Alex Smith went through.

Smith went through either 4 or 5 OC's his 1st 5 years.

Wasn't till Harbaugh came in amd Smith was in the same system for more than a year that he proved he could be a starter.

I don't know if Kizor will ever get his chance.
He should have this year and next to prive himself.
DoddPower
Originally Posted by: buckeyepackfan 

Since Gutey traded for Kizor, I doubt they will give up on him.
I compare Kizor to what Alex Smith went through.

Smith went through either 4 or 5 OC's his 1st 5 years.

Wasn't till Harbaugh came in amd Smith was in the same system for more than a year that he proved he could be a starter.

I don't know if Kizor will ever get his chance.
He should have this year and next to prive himself.

I'm fine with that as a 3rd string QB. But the Packers need much better play out of their #2 QB, who is almost certainly going to see some action here and there. I personally don't think Kizer is worth keeping around. Hopefully he proves me wrong.
nerdmann
Originally Posted by: DoddPower 

I'm fine with that as a 3rd string QB. But the Packers need much better play out of their #2 QB, who is almost certainly going to see some action here and there. I personally don't think Kizer is worth keeping around. Hopefully he proves me wrong.

When was the last time Aaron made it thru a season?
nerdmann

Thought he looked ok. Just needs to get grounded, work his fundamentals. Be consistent.
nerdmann

Boyle, for comparison.
KRK
the more I see of Kizer, the greater my level of concern on accuracy.
Nonstopdrivel
Can you imagine how it must suck to be cut in favor of an UDFA just two years after being taken in the second round of a draft in which you were ranked the second-best quarterback—and it was rumored that if you had simply waited another year, you might have been the first quarterback taken?

Then again, what does it say about you when you can't beat out an UDFA just two years after being taken in the second round of a draft in which you were ranked the second-best quarterback? Or perhaps more to the point, what does Kizer's inability to succeed in the pros say about the ability of talking heads to adequately evaluate player potential?
nerdmann
Originally Posted by: Nonstopdrivel 

Can you imagine how it must suck to be cut in favor of an UDFA just two years after being taken in the second round of a draft in which you were ranked the second-best quarterback—and it was rumored that if you had simply waited another year, you might have been the first quarterback taken?

Then again, what does it say about you when you can't beat out an UDFA just two years after being taken in the second round of a draft in which you were ranked the second-best quarterback? Or perhaps more to the point, what does Kizer's inability to succeed in the pros say about the ability of talking heads to adequately evaluate player potential?

I still think he has a shot. Aaron couldn't play his first 3 years either. Kizer is only 23, has had to learn a new system every year for 5 consecutive seasons.

He's got all the skills, just needs to work on happy feet and accuracy. I'd PS him if no one picks him up, Jmon too. And Curtis Bolton. IR that dude, stash him for next year. Martinez won't be back.
Zero2Cool
Originally Posted by: Nonstopdrivel 

It says the ranking system is bullshit, that is what it says. When are we going to stop blasting guys based on rankings that have no value whatsoever.
go.pack.go.
Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

I still think he has a shot. Aaron couldn't play his first 3 years either. Kizer is only 23, has had to learn a new system every year for 5 consecutive seasons.

He's got all the skills, just needs to work on happy feet and accuracy. I'd PS him if no one picks him up, Jmon too. And Curtis Bolton. IR that dude, stash him for next year. Martinez won't be back.

Why do you say Martinez won’t be back?
nerdmann
Originally Posted by: go.pack.go. 

Why do you say Martinez won’t be back?

Contract is up, he'll wanna get paid.

Heard Hoyer got cut. They'll go after him as a backup QB for sure.
go.pack.go.

Contract is up, he'll wanna get paid.

Heard Hoyer got cut. They'll go after him as a backup QB for sure.

I’m sure he will want to get paid, deservingly so. And I hope we pay him. Although I have my doubts.
wpr
I can't believe he's THAT bad. He nearly beat GB when Cleveland played them in 2017.
Cheesey
During the preseason I kept hearing how close it was between Kizer and Boyle. I kept thinking “have they been watching the same games I’ve been watching?” Boyle seemed to be so much ahead of Kizer. That’s my opinion at least.
Maybe they were just hoping that Kizer would get it together and get “it”, and they didn’t want to hurt him by saying “he looks bad”.
Will he ever develop into a NFL quality QB? I don’t know.
Just being drafted high doesn’t mean a guy will be good. You can go over the NFL draft every year for the last 40 years and find plenty of first round “can’t miss” players that missed.
Being great in college doesn’t mean you will be great in the pros. Of course it works the other way too. Some late round guys have been incredible.
The draft is a crapshoot.
nerdmann
Originally Posted by: Cheesey 

During the preseason I kept hearing how close it was between Kizer and Boyle. I kept thinking “have they been watching the same games I’ve been watching?” Boyle seemed to be so much ahead of Kizer. That’s my opinion at least.
Maybe they were just hoping that Kizer would get it together and get “it”, and they didn’t want to hurt him by saying “he looks bad”.
Will he ever develop into a NFL quality QB? I don’t know.
Just being drafted high doesn’t mean a guy will be good. You can go over the NFL draft every year for the last 40 years and find plenty of first round “can’t miss” players that missed.
Being great in college doesn’t mean you will be great in the pros. Of course it works the other way too. Some late round guys have been incredible.
The draft is a crapshoot.

Kizer wasn't exactly great in college either.

5 years, 5 new systems. Now it will be 6. Good pickup for the Raiders. He's in kind of a "go to the Raiders" type situation. And who knows, Gruden used to be thought of as a QB guru.
gbguy20
gruden never had a succesful qb unless you count the tail end of rich gannons career
Cheesey

Kizer wasn't exactly great in college either.

5 years, 5 new systems. Now it will be 6. Good pickup for the Raiders. He's in kind of a "go to the Raiders" type situation. And who knows, Gruden used to be thought of as a QB guru.

Maybe he wasn’t “great”. But he was a pretty high pick.
He can’t do any worse with the Raiders then he has done thus far.
Of course going to the Raiders is where players go to watch their careers die.
nerdmann
Originally Posted by: Cheesey 

Maybe he wasn’t “great”. But he was a pretty high pick.
He can’t do any worse with the Raiders then he has done thus far.
Of course going to the Raiders is where players go to watch their careers die.

Just win, baby!