Zero2Cool
4 years ago

Kickers also talk about how hard it is to kick in lambeau as well. Who is to say Tucker, called the top kicker in the league (above) wouldn't struggle, or see his stats drop to Crosby level? idk

Originally Posted by: gbguy20 

I'm not sure the Ravens stadium is much better than Lambeau Field for kickers.
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
4 years ago
Also, the long snapper and holder make a difference too!
When a kicker and holder are together for a long time, they get comfortable together. So that can make a huge difference.
It’s not all on the kicker. All 3 have to work as a unit. Any one of them messes up and it can blow the kick.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
4 years ago

Also, the long snapper and holder make a difference too!
When a kicker and holder are together for a long time, they get comfortable together. So that can make a huge difference.
It’s not all on the kicker. All 3 have to work as a unit. Any one of them messes up and it can blow the kick.

Originally Posted by: Cheesey 

That is true. I won't be going through and figuring out Kicker/Holder partnership duration for the kickers. I am not that ambitious!

If we NEED the money, I can understand cutting him if we have someone we feel is going to be as good, if not better. If we don't NEED the money, I say keep him.
UserPostedImage
yooperfan
4 years ago
Unless the other guy beats Crosby out by a considerable margin, I say keep him.
sschind
4 years ago

No worries, mate. You can read the same post an unlimited amount of times until you get the point. I'll wait.

What is Mason Crosby not doing well at in regards to kicking? Kickoffs or Field Goals? Everything?

34 of 36 extra points. 94.4% (whopping 17th!) in 2018

Only two kickers made more 50+ FG's than he did in 2018

3rd in attempted FG's in 2018 (the two who kicked more than him were in the high 80's for FG made % and 4th in FG's attempted was a full 10% higher in percentage and he kicks for the Jets!)

6th in made FG's in 2018

23rd in FG Made % ... TWENTY THIRD! in 2018

In 2017 he kicked almost half as many FG's and actually had a lower FG Made %

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/cap-hit/kicker/ 

Looks like we'd have a 2019 Cap Savings: $3,600,000 if we Cut or Traded Mason Crosby.

The only thing that makes me nervous about that is the issues I see other teams having trying to find a guy who can kick the ball between the uprights. I'd rather keep Crosby under a different deal. I just don't know that is a possible thing to do.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

So are you in the keep him or cut him camp. I still can't tell from your "explanation" Your stats are all over the map. You post one stat that has his 23rd and another that has him 6th. It sounds like you think we should cut him (assuming the current contract) but again your pointing out the 50+ yarders, 3rd in attempts, 6th in made FGs sounds like you are defending him.

n your first post, the one where I didn't understand your point (and I still don't) you said we are getting what we are paying for. I disagree. Crosby is being paid like a top 10 kicker and for the past 2 years he has performed like a bottom 10 kicker.

I don't care if he makes all his kicks over 50 yards if he misses a bunch from 40.

I don't care if he is 1st in attempts or last. That is more a factor of the offense than the kicker. If they move the ball well the kicker has more attempts. Percentage is what matters most to me but when we are talking about such low numbers 1 extra miss or two or 1 extra made kick or two can make a big swing in percentage.

Extra points are not a huge factor to me. Crosby was 17th. He missed 2. If he would have missed 1 more he would have dropped to 25th. If he would have made 1 more he would have risen to 7th. Even more than FG attempts extra point attempts are not a kicking stat they are an offensive stat tied directly to TDs scored..

I am not in favor of cutting him just to save money. Even though his percentage is not on par with his cap hit I do realize that he does have some intangibles that make him desirable and several have brought up good points. It is hard to kick in Lambeau but if I am not mistaken opposing kickers actually have a better percentage kicking there than Crosby does.

Like yooper said I would only be in favor of cutting him if the other guy outperforms him by a wide margin but I am in favor of looking very seriously at finding someone else. I don't think this guy we have is teh one to do it though.

I share your nervousness about struggling with kicker after kicker if we decide to move on and aside from the Detroit fiasco last year, which I think was just a really really bad game, Crosby wasn't that bad. If he goes 2/4 in that game his percentage rises to 86.5 which puts him at 17. Not great but not terrible.

If we cut him he won't be out of a job long as he is better than many kickers out there but I do think it would be possible to find a better one. The problem, like you alluded to, is how many worse ones would we have to go through before we find the better one.

I believe we pretty much agree on this after reading this comment from you If we NEED the money, I can understand cutting him if we have someone we feel is going to be as good, if not better. If we don't NEED the money, I say keep him. the only difference is I think even if we don't NEED the money we should cut him if we think we have someone as good or better.
Zero2Cool
4 years ago

If we don't NEED the money, I say keep him.[/b] the only difference is I think even if we don't NEED the money we should cut him if we think we have someone as good or better.

Originally Posted by: sschind 

I was trying to lay out everything I was finding. I dunno about you, but I am not trying to convince others to agree with me. I'm trying to lay things out to see what is what. Personally, I do not know if we SHOULD replace him or keep him. I see lots of kickers missing kicks. That said, if both kickers perform equally, I would release Crosby for the money.

I do think they need to be tested a helluva lot more though than all these sub 40 yard kicks. I would toss in some insanely bogus things like throwing a baseball at the kicker as he's approaching the kick. Why? To see how he handles the stress of a non-perfect kicking attempt. More or less trying to get them to be comfortable being uncomfortable.

UserPostedImage
buckeyepackfan
4 years ago
The Bears decided not to pay Robbie Gould in 2016.

6 kickers later they just brought in NINE guys to audition for the kicking job.

Mason is under contract for this year.

I wonder if The Bears wish they had paid Gould top kicker money?

They could have very well been playing in The SB last year.

Don't make the mistake The Bears made.
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
sschind
4 years ago

I was trying to lay out everything I was finding. I dunno about you, but I am not trying to convince others to agree with me. I'm trying to lay things out to see what is what. Personally, I do not know if we SHOULD replace him or keep him. I see lots of kickers missing kicks. That said, if both kickers perform equally, I would release Crosby for the money.

I do think they need to be tested a helluva lot more though than all these sub 40 yard kicks. I would toss in some insanely bogus things like throwing a baseball at the kicker as he's approaching the kick. Why? To see how he handles the stress of a non-perfect kicking attempt. More or less trying to get them to be comfortable being uncomfortable.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Fair enough. Like I said, I think we are pretty much on the same page. They should be looking for someone better but they shouldn't be looking to dump Crosby and sign someone cheaper just to save some money.

I don't know how many kicks a guy can make in a day and not wear himself out but they should be holding special kicking sessions in the Don Hutson center every day with multiple kickers. 5 kicks from 35 yards then 40 then 45 then 50 then 55. That's 25 kicks maybe that is too much for one day I don't know. Maybe they do do that, again, I don't know Do that for a few days and see who comes out on top. I realize kicking on a practice field in August is different than in a game in December but if you are going to use that excuse we will never see if there is anyone better. You can't use preseason games as much of a gauge unless you are going to forgo trying for TDs as soon as you get into FG range. Kickers may not get any chances in the pre season or certainly not enough to make an educated decision.
beast
4 years ago
As of right now I think Mason Crosby is probably the only choice for this year.

I mean there is FA Matt Bryant who is 8th in career FG% but there are a lot of teams in much worse shape than the Packers at kicker (including the team that let him go, the Falcons) and not a single one has publicly shown great interest, meaning that he is either refusing to sign during the off-season to spend more time with his family, or more likely he's got a good price tag on him and waiting for teams to start their last second bidding for him right before the season. But he's a decade older than Crosby and who knows what he would cost, apparently the Falcons thought too much as they moved on to a younger guy.

The only real other decent option, is a guy that I believe I read is leader of FG% kicks at Lambeau Field, says it's his favorite place to kick and currently #2 all time in career FG%, former Bears kicker Robbie Gould.

Gould has been franchise tagged by the 49ers. Meaning that his one year contract is gonna be in the $5 million range (higher than Crosby), he's older than Crosby, and he's currently holding out as he's demanding a trade to place closer to home so he can spend more time with family on flights home and because he loves his town (Chicago).

49ers don't want to trade him, but if they can't get him, they might have no other choice, and they might be interested in Crosby in exchange. Maybe... might cost a bit more but Green Bay is much closer to Chicago than San Francisco. Might have to throw another player in like the Packers 7th WR or SS Josh Jones, bit it could be done if both side wanted to (Packers might just prefer sticking where they're at)... though there is always the chance Gould finds.his way back to the very Kicker needy Bears team.
UserPostedImage
PackerTraxx
4 years ago
At least he got a bunch or his misses out of the way in one game against the Lions and didn't spread it out over 4 or 5 games which could have hurt more.😂 😂 😂 😂 😂 😂
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
Fan Shout
dfosterf (1h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (2h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (3h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (5h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (6h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (8h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (9h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (20h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.