wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
4 years ago

Mason Crosby's position with the 2019 Green Bay Packers has been anything but certain, but he should make the roster with just two weeks to go until the regular season begins. The Green Bay Packers wanted competition at kicker, and so far this summer, it looks to have brought the best out of Mason Crosby.

Continue Reading @ LombardiAve 

LombardiAve wrote:

Mason's cap hit is $4.8 mil which is the highest among kickers. His average is a little over $4 mil and that drops him to 8th. I wouldn't mid seeing him re-do the deal but would they really save much is he is at $3 mil for the cap hit. That would put him 13th in the league. He's better than the 13th best kicker.

On the other hand, just how much better is he than Fricken and his $495,000 league min salary? Even if he's great he won't see a $ 1mil for at least 3 years Probably 5.
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
4 years ago
Keep “Bing”.
Ever since that one bad spurt he had, he’s been good.
The kicking game is taken for granted too often. Stay with the known guy until he’s proven he can no longer do it.
The extra money he makes, he has earned.
That’s my thought, at least.
UserPostedImage
go.pack.go.
4 years ago
Keep him. Tired of letting good & proven veterans go because their cap hit is a little too high. I wouldn’t say his is too high though. Like Cheesey said, I feel like he’s earned it.
UserPostedImage
sschind
4 years ago
I don't mind paying top money for a top kicker but as someone on another forum pointed out Crosby is not a top kicker. At least not over the past several years. He ranked 23 in FG % last year. In the years before that he was 29th, 10th, 16th, 23rd, 13th. One year out of the last 6 he was in the top 3rd.

In that thread I was defending Crosby pointing out that 1 missed FG a year can make a big difference in the ranking but I realized that Crosby is not elite either, and he is being paid like he is. That said I don't think you replace him simply for cap reasons. If he is clearly out kicked in camp and PS then make the switch but to make the switch to save a few million dollars when the new guy hasn't clearly out performed is a mistake.

Another interesting stat he pulled up (or out depending how you look at it) Since Crosby came into the league, as a team, the Packers ranked 30 or 31 in FG percentage.

The thing is an 80% career FG kicker was fine 10 years ago but its near the bottom now. The problem is when the new guy comes in and hits 65% you would be wishing you had the 80% guy but until it happens you just don't know. You could cut him and sign a bargain basement guy and he could do just as well or he could be crap and it could lead to a revolving door situation that costs several games all to save a few million dollars.

Honestly I could go either way on Crosby but like I said the new guy would have to outperform him and probably bey a significant amount for the cap savings to be worth the risk
Zero2Cool
4 years ago
Since 2014 on Kicks 49 yards or longer.

Mason Crosby GNB 16 made 27 attempt 59.3%

For comparison sake, here is the guy who's kicked the most 49+ yarders
Justin Tucker BAL 37 made 52 attempt 71.2%

Mason is about the 8-10th on average in salary. Justin Tucker is #1.

Seems like we're paying for what we're getting. Somehow.
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/play-index/fg_finder.cgi?request=1&year_min=2014&year_max=2018&game_type=R&game_num_min=0&game_num_max=99&week_num_min=0&week_num_max=99&min_distance=49&max_distance=80&order_by=distance 
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/contracts/kicker/ 
UserPostedImage
sschind
4 years ago
I'm not sure what your point is. Crosby counts 4.85 million against the cap this year. Tucker counts 4.65 and 5.1 in each of the next 3 years. I think Tucker is worth every penny. I'm not sure Crosby is.

All those guys who are ahead of Crosby signed new deals either this off season or last. Crosby signed his deal in 2016. Salaries go up so it doesn't surprise me that after 3 years he has been passed by several players.

Crosby is being paid like a top 10 kicker and he isn't kicking like one. I still don't want to see him cut simply to save cap space but I'm not opposed to seeing if there is someone better and if he is cheaper (as he likely would be) even better.

I guess it depends on how much of a gambler you are. I think chances are good that you find a better kicker but they are probably equally as good you don't so the question then becomes how much does the cap savings offset the drop in production. I'm not sure I am willing to take that gamble so my gut says stay with Crosby. It the devil you know vs the devil you don't
Cheesey
4 years ago
My hope is, that the new offense and players, hopefully we will mostly need Crosby to kick extra points!

UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
4 years ago

I'm not sure what your point is.

Originally Posted by: sschind 

No worries, mate. You can read the same post an unlimited amount of times until you get the point. I'll wait.

Crosby is being paid like a top 10 kicker and he isn't kicking like one. I still don't want to see him cut simply to save cap space but I'm not opposed to seeing if there is someone better and if he is cheaper (as he likely would be) even better.

Originally Posted by: sschind 

What is Mason Crosby not doing well at in regards to kicking? Kickoffs or Field Goals? Everything?

34 of 36 extra points. 94.4% (whopping 17th!) in 2018

Only two kickers made more 50+ FG's than he did in 2018

3rd in attempted FG's in 2018 (the two who kicked more than him were in the high 80's for FG made % and 4th in FG's attempted was a full 10% higher in percentage and he kicks for the Jets!)

6th in made FG's in 2018

23rd in FG Made % ... TWENTY THIRD! in 2018

In 2017 he kicked almost half as many FG's and actually had a lower FG Made %

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/cap-hit/kicker/ 

Looks like we'd have a 2019 Cap Savings: $3,600,000 if we Cut or Traded Mason Crosby.

The only thing that makes me nervous about that is the issues I see other teams having trying to find a guy who can kick the ball between the uprights. I'd rather keep Crosby under a different deal. I just don't know that is a possible thing to do.
UserPostedImage
gbguy20
4 years ago
Kickers also talk about how hard it is to kick in lambeau as well. Who is to say Tucker, called the top kicker in the league (above) wouldn't struggle, or see his stats drop to Crosby level? idk

KRK
  • KRK
  • Veteran Member
4 years ago
Let's not be penny wise and pound foolish. Ask the Bares how important a reliable kicker is.

If we let him go, we will find somewhere during the season, that kickers are a lot like policemen....when you really need one, they are hard to find.
In Luce tua Videmus Lucem KRK
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (22m) : No.
Mucky Tundra (2h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (3h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (5h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (7h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (17h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.