Discussion Board
Welcome Guest! You can login or register. Login or Register.
2 Pages12>

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Zero2Cool  
#1 Posted : Saturday, August 24, 2019 4:08:11 PM(UTC)
Do you want him on the Packers? What do think is fair trade offering?

The salary stuff, I don't even know how to start that!

Updated by user Sunday, August 25, 2019 1:57:52 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Cheesey  
#2 Posted : Saturday, August 24, 2019 5:22:36 PM(UTC)
I’d like to have him here, but I doubt they will pull the trigger.
beast  
#3 Posted : Saturday, August 24, 2019 5:51:12 PM(UTC)
I think he'd be a perfect fit for Pettine's defense, but I think they already addressed this with Z. Smith and Gary both of which are similar fits.

Gute has been mostly been releasing veterans to open up playing time for young guys with potential. Not adding veteran that block them... so if Gary is healthy, I don't see Gute considering it.

Even if Gary is not healthy, I think whomever trades for Clowny is gonna want to resign him and Packers have so much invested there already.
nerdmann  
#4 Posted : Saturday, August 24, 2019 11:41:17 PM(UTC)
beast said: Go to Quoted Post
I think he'd be a perfect fit for Pettine's defense, but I think they already addressed this with Z. Smith and Gary both of which are similar fits.

Gute has been mostly been releasing veterans to open up playing time for young guys with potential. Not adding veteran that block them... so if Gary is healthy, I don't see Gute considering it.

Even if Gary is not healthy, I think whomever trades for Clowny is gonna want to resign him and Packers have so much invested there already.

Disagree. He's a traditional edge guy. Pettine likes these 288 lb guys who can stuff the run, he schemes them to the QB.

He's good tho. Would Aaron be willing to take a pay cut?
beast  
#5 Posted : Sunday, August 25, 2019 12:50:52 AM(UTC)
nerdmann said: Go to Quoted Post
Disagree. He's a traditional edge guy. Pettine likes these 288 lb guys who can stuff the run, he schemes them to the QB.

He's good tho. Would Aaron be willing to take a pay cut?

You can disagree, but that just makes you mistaken ... Clowney is a big, long, power edge rusher who can stuff the run, just like the others, and of course all coaches try scheming him to the QB too!

Clowny has publicly admitted to weighting in at 284 lbs but perfering to be lighter... where all I can quickly find about Z'Smith or Gary is being in the 270s.
nerdmann  
#6 Posted : Sunday, August 25, 2019 9:08:30 AM(UTC)
You can disagree, but that just makes you mistaken ... Clowney is a big, long, power edge rusher who can stuff the run, just like the others, and of course all coaches try scheming him to the QB too!

Clowny has publicly admitted to weighting in at 284 lbs but perfering to be lighter... where all I can quickly find about Z'Smith or Gary is being in the 270s.

I have him listed at 255. He's tall and thin imo. He's not a OLB/DT hybrid.

I do like him, but we're paying Aaron 25+ this year. Don't have the camp space.
KRK  
#7 Posted : Sunday, August 25, 2019 10:39:38 AM(UTC)
Boys, it s a mute point:
  • We don't have the money
  • If we did, we would spend it elsewhere
  • We just signed the Smiths and Gary, so we should be set.
beast  
#8 Posted : Sunday, August 25, 2019 11:08:53 AM(UTC)
nerdmann said: Go to Quoted Post
I have him listed at 255. He's tall and thin imo. He's not a OLB/DT hybrid.
They're all tall, and he's not the only thin one... you're making this a beauty contest and all about looks. I'm talking about what they can actually do on the football field if asked to do the same thing.

Also you do know an OLB/DT hybird is simply called a DE right? And despite what you think, they can all play DE. Hell, they had Matthews doing it (with a hand up) for a while with the 3-4 giving way to the 4-2 nickel packages and Mathews is smaller than all of them.

KRK said: Go to Quoted Post
Boys, it s a mute point:
  • We don't have the money
  • If we did, we would spend it elsewhere
  • We just signed the Smiths and Gary, so we should be set.
That was my point, we already got similar players which locked up a lot of talent capital.

nerdmann  
#9 Posted : Sunday, August 25, 2019 11:58:52 AM(UTC)
They're all tall, and he's not the only thin one... you're making this a beauty contest and all about looks. I'm talking about what they can actually do on the football field if asked to do the same thing.

Also you do know an OLB/DT hybird is simply called a DE right? And despite what you think, they can all play DE. Hell, they had Matthews doing it (with a hand up) for a while with the 3-4 giving way to the 4-2 nickel packages and Mathews is smaller than all of them.

That was my point, we already got similar players which locked up a lot of talent capital.

Yeah, like Kabeer. Kampman too. But Pettine wants these bigger dudes. "War Daddies."

Anyway it's moot given all the money tied up at the QB position.
Zero2Cool  
#10 Posted : Sunday, August 25, 2019 4:55:05 PM(UTC)
Texans looking for a Tackle. Maybe they trade Bryan Bulaga for Clowney?

Dhazer says Dolphins and Packers are the two teams talking to Texans about Clowney.
dhazer  
#11 Posted : Sunday, August 25, 2019 5:06:36 PM(UTC)
Quote:
lowney, 26, still has not signed the $15.97 million franchise tag tender. He wants a long-term commitment from Houston that would make the Pro Bowler one of the league’s highest-paid defenders.

This has led to trade speculation on a nearly daily basis with the Miami Dolphins and Green Bay Packers being bandied about as potential destinations. Houston has to think long-term here. That includes locking up franchise quarterback Deshaun Watson once he’s eligible for an extension next March. He’s likely going to earn north of $35 million annually on said deal. Paying Clowney $20-plus million annually would be cap restrictive. This is a clear indication that a Clowney trade is imminent.

https://www.forbes.com/s...ore-week-1/#617dc0cf3839
KRK  
#12 Posted : Sunday, August 25, 2019 5:25:27 PM(UTC)
Jets, Falcons, Redskins, Eagles, Seahawks (4 ‘flight’ teams) far more likely.

There is no way the Packers trade for this guy, IMO.

And to give up a starting tackle?!?! That would be insane.
nerdmann  
#13 Posted : Sunday, August 25, 2019 5:41:45 PM(UTC)
KRK said: Go to Quoted Post
Jets, Falcons, Redskins, Eagles, Seahawks (4 ‘flight’ teams) far more likely.

There is no way the Packers trade for this guy, IMO.

And to give up a starting tackle?!?! That would be insane.

Bulaga is what, 30? Going into the last year of his contract.
KRK  
#14 Posted : Sunday, August 25, 2019 6:19:33 PM(UTC)
Nerd noted:
Quote:
Bulaga is what, 30? Going into the last year of his contract.
So What? We are thin there to start. Why would we take an obvious area of susceptibility and weaken ourselves further?

I am not willing to write off another year.
Cheesey  
#15 Posted : Sunday, August 25, 2019 8:27:57 PM(UTC)
Well, if it’s all about money, he will sign somewhere else.
If he wants a shot at a super bowl, signing here will give him a realistic shot.
JMO of course. I AM after all a “homer”.
earthquake  
#16 Posted : Sunday, August 25, 2019 9:15:47 PM(UTC)
If the asking price (draft picks/players) and contract demands are way, way less than what it took for the Bears to get Khalil Mack, sure, go for it. If not, that's a big nope from me.
Zero2Cool  
#17 Posted : Monday, August 26, 2019 3:08:47 AM(UTC)
On the radio it was being said they probably won't get more than a third and a depth player for him. They said Texans lost all leverage.
beast  
#18 Posted : Monday, August 26, 2019 11:33:50 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool said: Go to Quoted Post
On the radio it was being said they probably won't get more than a third and a depth player for him. They said Texans lost all leverage.

Yes because of the time frame of signing franchise tagged players to multi-year deal has ended, so what any team is trading for is literally a one year rental with the HOPE of making a positive impression to get both sides to agree to make a multi year agreement next year.

But Clowney could easily choose a different location if he wants... which gives him great leverage in negotiations with a team that had already traded something for him.

Again, probably a non-starter with the Packers because they've already went out of their way to get two similar players this off-season.

KRK  
#19 Posted : Tuesday, August 27, 2019 4:06:21 PM(UTC)
well, its been 48 hours and no trade....

the Packers are not in the mix....thankfully.

It would seem the Dolphins, Eagles and Seagulls are in the mix. I had thought that in addition to the Eagles and Seagulls, Washington would be in the mix as they lost Smith and they have a good OT who was in a holdout situation. Texas was looking for an OT
Cheesey  
#20 Posted : Saturday, August 31, 2019 9:21:21 AM(UTC)
He got traded to the SeaSquaks.
Rss Feed