Zero2Cool
4 years ago
What do you think of these comments from Vic?

Ben from Chicago, IL
You've said scheme teams win early in the season and lose late in the season. Have the Packers become a scheme team?

What I said was plays can win early, players win late in the season. A lot of teams rely on scheme early in the season, when execution is lacking, but I didn't see an abundance of scheme from either team in last night's game. I thought it was vanilla football. The Packers won because they ran to the ball on defense.

David from Calistoga, CA
Vic, what impressed you the most about the Packers defense?

The Packers finally have a fast defense. Brian Gutekunst has done an outstanding job of retooling the Packers defense. It runs to the ball.

Continue Reading @ Ask Vic 

Ask Vic wrote:

UserPostedImage
Cheesey
4 years ago
I agree with him. For the first time in years, the Packer D was swarming to the ball. And we didn’t see the “good D on first and second down, then giving up the big play” that was the norm in recent years.
UserPostedImage
sschind
4 years ago
A lot of the tackles that were missed didn't really hurt us because the second group was there to clean up. Offensive guys will make defensive guys miss sometimes its just the way it is. We had guys there to make the stop.
Zero2Cool
4 years ago

A lot of the tackles that were missed didn't really hurt us because the second group was there to clean up. Offensive guys will make defensive guys miss sometimes its just the way it is. We had guys there to make the stop.

Originally Posted by: sschind 

Curious ... what would be a missed tackle vs tackle broken? I think at some point the ball carrier needs to be credited with breaking the tackle more so than the defender missed the tackle.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
4 years ago

Curious ... what would be a missed tackle vs tackle broken? I think at some point the ball carrier needs to be credited with breaking the tackle more so than the defender missed the tackle.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

You said it correctly. When you are the defense its a missed tackle. When you are the offense it's a broken tackle. The defender gets the (-) on the play and the ball carrier gets the (+). Same play different terminology.
UserPostedImage
sschind
4 years ago

I agree. To me to be a broken tackle the defender has to have more than a hand on the guy. A juke that fakes a defender out of his jock isn't a missed tackle or a broken tackle even if the defender gets a hand on the runner. Its just an incredible move by the runner. It doesn't really matter though because if a runner breaks a tackle it can most likely be considered a missed tackle on the defender. I mean if I hit you head on, wrap you up but you spin away you broke the tackle but I also missed it. There is probably a third category like forced missed tackles that included the broken ankle type plays.

Either way if the first guy misses for whatever reason its nice to have guys there to back him up like we did last night.

You said it correctly. When you are the defense its a missed tackle. When you are the offense it's a broken tackle. The defender gets the (-) on the play and the ball carrier gets the (+). Same play different terminology.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

What he said. I still can't figure out the reading all the posts before replying thing 😁
Zero2Cool
4 years ago

Originally Posted by: wpr 

No. That is not true. Sometimes the ball carrier BREAKS the tackle. Sometimes the defender FAILS to wrap up and make a tackle. There is a huge difference here. I knew folks wouldn't discern the two.

Two sides to every story, its good to consider that.

When a WR contorts his body opposite of his momentum and gets a hand on the ball, some want o call that a dropped pass. Wrong, that is a bad pass and the WR made crazy adjustment to get even one hand on it. Same concept applies to tackling. If ball carrier going one way and you the other and you get one arm on him and a blocker gets in the way, that is not a missed tackle.

You wanna see missed tackles, watch #21 of the Bears. He puts on a clinic!! 😝
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
4 years ago

No. That is not true. Sometimes the ball carrier BREAKS the tackle. Sometimes the defender FAILS to wrap up and make a tackle. There is a huge difference here. I knew folks wouldn't discern the two.

Two sides to every story, its good to consider that.

When a WR contorts his body opposite of his momentum and gets a hand on the ball, some want o call that a dropped pass. Wrong, that is a bad pass and the WR made crazy adjustment to get even one hand on it. Same concept applies to tackling. If ball carrier going one way and you the other and you get one arm on him and a blocker gets in the way, that is not a missed tackle.

You wanna see missed tackles, watch #21 of the Bears. He puts on a clinic!! 😝

That may be true but in evaluations, the defender stills gets the (-) and ball carrier the (+) even when the ball carrier makes a great play.

UserPostedImage
Porforis
4 years ago

I agree with him. For the first time in years, the Packer D was swarming to the ball. And we didn’t see the “good D on first and second down, then giving up the big play” that was the norm in recent years.

Originally Posted by: Cheesey 

Also agree. And while there still were some missed tackles, because we were swarming to the ball there always seemed to be someone else there waiting, and I don't recall seeing more than two missed tackles on a given play, and I think that happened only once.

And not that this is at all surprising, Martinez had a couple really nice tackles and seemed to always be near the ball.
Pack93z
4 years ago
One week in... Gute seemingly has hit on most of the defensive targets. Think this speaks a bit to year two in the Pettine scheme and being able to match strengths with needed players to best fit.

But it is certain this team has better team speed out there... Preston Smith was gassed on the last stand... watch a few snaps before his big pressure on the Bears last snap. But even gassed, he had more burst and Perry had shown in a couple years. Z. Smith ... heck all the backers looked quicker.

But that back end of this defense really flashes it... Savage pairs speed with vision... could be lethal as he continues to settle in. Amos looked good in coverage verse some of the tape he laid down in Chitown... corners can close.

One... one major breakdown in coverage on the night that I see watching live... wheel with Montgomery; that is a vast improvement over the past couple seasons with multiple breakdowns in sometimes a single snap.

Williams did get rubbed off that crosser... but that is what that shallow cross is designed to do... rub them off in traffic.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Fan Shout
dfosterf (10h) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (11h) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (18-Apr) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (18-Apr) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.