Zero2Cool
4 years ago
This is a pretty good read. Kind of rehashed a lot of things, but still some good stuff.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27520851/how-win-nfl-job-interview-3-hours-packers-matt-lafleur 
UserPostedImage
KRK
  • KRK
  • Veteran Member
4 years ago
Z, a very good and quick read.
In Luce tua Videmus Lucem KRK
Zero2Cool
4 years ago
Oh boy, the Cellcom commercials are still being produced.

UserPostedImage
beast
4 years ago

Title: Gutekunst was the first one to identify LaFleur as a candidate

And in unrelated news, beast had three of the first five post that typed "LaFleur" into a packershome.com post, including the very first two! 👅

But I've been a big fan of Kyle Shanahan over the years and LaFleur followed Shanahan a good while over three different teams, so Shanahan was a fan of him as well.

If I was an owner, I would take a close look at Kyle Shanahan... he seems to be able to adjust and have success most of the places he has been. I don't know if he's ready to be a head coach, but if you're willing to wait he could grow into it... especially if you have a good GM already and he can get a good defensive coordinator to come with him.

Originally Posted by: beast 

But here is the first, second and fifth typed mention of "LaFleur" in packershome.com, clearly, they listened to the fifth mention, as they followed just that 🙄

And none of these guys are the top offensive guy for their organization which is why some have mentioned Titans offensive coordinator Matt LaFleur... who has worked a ton with Kyle Shanahan and Sean McVay.

I'm thinking the Titans OC?

The 49ers don't currently have an OC, as their head coach Kyle Shanahan is their OC... but if they were to have one... who would it be? Maybe Matt LaFleur who is the current Titans OC...

Why do I say that... because with the exception of 2014, Matt LaFleur has been on the same teams as Kyle Shanahan from 2008 to 2016 ... which include time together with the Texans, Redskins and Falcons. LaFleur was the QB coach with the Redskins and Falcons.

So what happened in 2014? Browns head coach Mike Pettine hired Kyle Shanahan to be OC, and someone hired Dowell Loggains as QB coach (while LaFleur was QB coach with Notre Dame). According to the reports, Browns ownership was trying to force rookie QB Johnny Football on the field and Shanahan tried to stop it as much as possible... Ownership finally won and got Johnny Football on the field and Shanahan (rightfully) left that ownership was doing the coaching. Which is why I wonder might be one reason Pettine never wants to be head coach again, because as he said, head coach is 90% management and he wants 90% to be about football. Shanahan/LaFleur would join back up with the Falcons and Loggains went on to coach under John Fox with the Bears.

But in 2017 both Shanahan and Sean McVay (who also worked with them with the Redskins) both got head coaching jobs... and LaFleur ended up as OC with the Rams (maybe because Shanahan wanted to be his own OC)... but McVay called the plays... and in 2018 LaFleur left for the Titans so that he could be top offensive guy and call the plays. The Titans offense has struggled, but I think that could be partly their lack of players talent... MM's 49ers offense also struggled.

I think you need to add Matt LaFleur near the top of that list, beast near the middle and Zero2Cool somewhere in there too 😂 🤣

Proof, that Mark Murphy reads and follows this great site! [thumbup]

UserPostedImage
Dulak
4 years ago
Since this is a LaFleur topic ... Im going to ask the question.

I was never a super fan of Mike M., We did win a SB under him and we had a really good win/loss ration with him ... until the last 2 years. I like others got annoyed by certain plays and him holding back and not 'keeping' the win and playing conservative.

But ... he had a lot of experience.

Im a bit concerned how a guy that has never been a HC is going to take the packers to NFCnorth champs or NFC champs or even the super bowl ... I know I know McVay ... but seriously. The NFL news peeps love to do this ... they like comparing one person to some bygone hero (oh this running back runs like b. sanders etc ...(even thou the same guy never played professional ball))

Somehow people never seem to consider McVay may be the outlier and everyone else 'associated' with him may never be as good as him. I hope my thoughts are wrong but seriously why should I think it would be other wise.

In the medical profession (well at least they should) you always look at the most likely cause first. Not oh you have a headache therefor you have a 'tumor'. (kindergarden cop memories)

So LaFleur being a 1st year HC what will the most likely path take him and us? ... Perhaps farther then I think.

Whats your take? ... or thoughts ...
beast
4 years ago

Im a bit concerned how a guy that has never been a HC is going to take the packers to NFCnorth champs or NFC champs or even the super bowl ... I know I know McVay ... but seriously. The NFL news peeps love to do this ... they like comparing one person to some bygone hero (oh this running back runs like b. sanders etc ...(even thou the same guy never played professional ball))

So LaFleur being a 1st year HC what will the most likely path take him and us? ... Perhaps farther then I think.

Originally Posted by: Dulak 

First I've always disliked the McVay comparisons as well, because Kyle Shanahan is a clearly better comparison in my mind, since they've worked together much longer. Also because McVay is much more stuck on staying with 3 WRs and 1 TE packages where Shanahan and LaFleur use a lot of different packages and personal.

As far as never being a head coach before, that doesn't bother me much, because that means they must of failed as a head coach first to be a FA coach, that's not necessary a good thing.

And a lot of the successful college coaches haven't seemed to be making the move and college is a different type of player too.

Where there are currently a lot of teams taking chances on younger coaches or successful offense coordinators.

Take even Sean Payton, I think the Cowboys fans regret not making him their head coach, instead the Saints did and have loved it. Sure there are failures too, but that's where the market is, taking chances and getting young smart offensive head coaches locked up.

UserPostedImage
bboystyle
4 years ago

Since this is a LaFleur topic ... Im going to ask the question.

I was never a super fan of Mike M., We did win a SB under him and we had a really good win/loss ration with him ... until the last 2 years. I like others got annoyed by certain plays and him holding back and not 'keeping' the win and playing conservative.

But ... he had a lot of experience.

Somehow people never seem to consider McVay may be the outlier and everyone else 'associated' with him may never be as good as him. I hope my thoughts are wrong but seriously why should I think it would be other wise.

In the medical profession (well at least they should) you always look at the most likely cause first. Not oh you have a headache therefor you have a 'tumor'. (kindergarden cop memories)

Originally Posted by: Dulak 

Mike McCarthy was never a HC either. he was a failed coordinator at NO and SF.
Zero2Cool
4 years ago

MM was never a HC either. he was a failed coordinator at NO and SF.

Originally Posted by: bboystyle 

How was McCarthy a failed coordinator at either stop?

New Orleans Saints (2000–2004)
Points For: 348 (21.8/g) 14th of 32
Points For: 340 (21.3/g) 14th of 32
Points For: 432 (27.0/g) 3rd of 32
Points For: 333 (20.8/g) 13th of 31
Points For: 354 (22.1/g) 10th of 31

San Francisco 49ers (2005)
Points For: 239 (14.9/g) 30th of 32

If the one year with 49ers his offense was 1st in the NFL in Yards and Scoring, you'd say it was only one year and he rode the talent he inherited.

UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (17h) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (18h) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (18-Apr) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (18-Apr) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.