gotarace
4 years ago
Love the Speed upgrade and the amount of hustle around the Football. The moves Glute made are looking Awesome through week 1. Hope the trend continues.

Smart As a Horse
Hung Like Einstein
KRK
  • KRK
  • Veteran Member
4 years ago
https://ftw.usatoday.com/2019/09/bears-packers-defense-film-mike-pettine 

The author points out that they approach and construction of the schemes may be leading edge in addressing the college style tackles which are making their way into the pro game. Highlights include:[list=1][*]Keep the base defense at home. The Packers were willing to give up size in the run box if it allowed them to keep speed out there to defend the pass, a strategy that’s backed by the numbers. In 2018, defenses matched 12 (1 RB, 2 TE, 2 WR) personnel with base defense (four defensive backs) 61% of the time, and offenses produced a DVOA of 3.1%, according to Football Outsiders. When the defenses treated one of those tight ends like a receiver and matched with a nickel defense, their DVOA dropped to -5.3%. [*]Defend the run with a few bodies as possible...Now, the Packers were running a more traditional “Bear” front, but it created the same effect: With the interior running lanes clogged, Chicago’s running backs were funneled to the perimeter, where Green Bay’s athletic defensive backs could rally and take down the ball carrier for a minimal gain.[*]Get pressure with as few bodies as possible The concept of a creeper — also referred to as a “simulated pressure” depending which coach you’re talking to — is not too different from the one behind the zone blitz: You have the traditional “fire zone” pattern of a blitz, with second- and third-level defenders replacing traditional rushers in the pass rush, but instead of dropping only six to defend the pass, leaving a void in coverage, you don’t send the fifth rusher and keep seven in coverage.[/list]
In Luce tua Videmus Lucem KRK
porky88
4 years ago
I completely agree. The first thing I noticed was that Green Bay was bigger, faster, and longer on defense. They were also more disciplined, which is kudos to the coaching staff. It was nice watching them set the edge and seeing the OLBs playing containment.

This is at least a 2 to 3-year plan by the front office to reemphasize the defense.

DL Dean Lowry - 2016 NFL Draft
DL Kenny Clark - 2016 NFL Draft
DL Montravius Adams - 2017 NFL Draft
OLB Preston Smith - 2019 Free Agency
ILB Blake Martinez - 2016 NFL Draft
OLB Za'darious Smith - 2019 Free Agency
CB Jaire Alexander - 2018 NFL Draft
CB Kevin King - 2017 NFL Draft
CB Tramon Williams - 2018 Free Agency
SS Darnell Savage - 2019 NFL Draft
FS Adrian Amos - 2019 Free Agency

With the exception of Kenny Clark, none of these guys were on the field in the 2016 NFC Championship against Atlanta, which I think exposed the lack of size and speed of the defense.

From a roster building standpoint, I love the combination of draft picks and free agent acquisitions. That's not entirely a knock against Ted Thompson. He deserves credit for drafting at least five of these guys (and Kenny Clark might be the best player of the bunch), but I do think that's where Brian Gutekunst's approach to the off-season has helped enhance the team's roster building.

Of course we are getting a bit excited over just one game, but I do feel encouraged and excited to watch the Packers play defense. I can't think of the last time I thought this.
Cheesey
4 years ago
I’m also excited, but also nervous. The next game against the Queens will say a lot on just how good our D is.
UserPostedImage
Mucky Tundra
4 years ago

“Nah. I like having the island. It’s pretty cool...not too many visitors”
UserPostedImage
"I’ve got it." -Aaron Rodgers
go.pack.go.
4 years ago
The discipline of the defense was mentioned in an earlier post. I completely agree. Seemed like everyone stayed true to their jobs, and when they didn’t, the speed of the defense made up for it.

Another area I was extremely impressed with was the way our DL watched the snap. Trubisky attempted to use the hard count numerous times and never drew us offsides. Nobody even flinched. That was extremely impressive to me, especially with that having been the first game of the year. I imagine that was emphasized in camp, and what better QB to practice that against than Rodgers?
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (10h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (17h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (18h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (18h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (21h) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
dfosterf (25-Mar) : A major foul will be enforced on the offense if there are offsetting penalties in a change of possession situation
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Teams will receive a 3rd challenge if 1 was successful. Previously, it took 2
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

22h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.