Discussion Board
Zero2Cool
What do you think of these comments from Vic?
Ask Vic wrote:

Ben from Chicago, IL
You've said scheme teams win early in the season and lose late in the season. Have the Packers become a scheme team?

What I said was plays can win early, players win late in the season. A lot of teams rely on scheme early in the season, when execution is lacking, but I didn't see an abundance of scheme from either team in last night's game. I thought it was vanilla football. The Packers won because they ran to the ball on defense.

David from Calistoga, CA
Vic, what impressed you the most about the Packers defense?

The Packers finally have a fast defense. Brian Gutekunst has done an outstanding job of retooling the Packers defense. It runs to the ball.

Continue Reading @ Ask Vic 

Cheesey
I agree with him. For the first time in years, the Packer D was swarming to the ball. And we didn’t see the “good D on first and second down, then giving up the big play” that was the norm in recent years.
sschind
A lot of the tackles that were missed didn't really hurt us because the second group was there to clean up. Offensive guys will make defensive guys miss sometimes its just the way it is. We had guys there to make the stop.
Zero2Cool
Originally Posted by: sschind 

A lot of the tackles that were missed didn't really hurt us because the second group was there to clean up. Offensive guys will make defensive guys miss sometimes its just the way it is. We had guys there to make the stop.

Curious ... what would be a missed tackle vs tackle broken? I think at some point the ball carrier needs to be credited with breaking the tackle more so than the defender missed the tackle.
wpr
Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Curious ... what would be a missed tackle vs tackle broken? I think at some point the ball carrier needs to be credited with breaking the tackle more so than the defender missed the tackle.

You said it correctly. When you are the defense its a missed tackle. When you are the offense it's a broken tackle. The defender gets the (-) on the play and the ball carrier gets the (+). Same play different terminology.
sschind

I agree. To me to be a broken tackle the defender has to have more than a hand on the guy. A juke that fakes a defender out of his jock isn't a missed tackle or a broken tackle even if the defender gets a hand on the runner. Its just an incredible move by the runner. It doesn't really matter though because if a runner breaks a tackle it can most likely be considered a missed tackle on the defender. I mean if I hit you head on, wrap you up but you spin away you broke the tackle but I also missed it. There is probably a third category like forced missed tackles that included the broken ankle type plays.

Either way if the first guy misses for whatever reason its nice to have guys there to back him up like we did last night.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

You said it correctly. When you are the defense its a missed tackle. When you are the offense it's a broken tackle. The defender gets the (-) on the play and the ball carrier gets the (+). Same play different terminology.

What he said. I still can't figure out the reading all the posts before replying thing 😁
Zero2Cool
Originally Posted by: wpr 

No. That is not true. Sometimes the ball carrier BREAKS the tackle. Sometimes the defender FAILS to wrap up and make a tackle. There is a huge difference here. I knew folks wouldn't discern the two.

Two sides to every story, its good to consider that.

When a WR contorts his body opposite of his momentum and gets a hand on the ball, some want o call that a dropped pass. Wrong, that is a bad pass and the WR made crazy adjustment to get even one hand on it. Same concept applies to tackling. If ball carrier going one way and you the other and you get one arm on him and a blocker gets in the way, that is not a missed tackle.

You wanna see missed tackles, watch #21 of the Bears. He puts on a clinic!! 😝
wpr

No. That is not true. Sometimes the ball carrier BREAKS the tackle. Sometimes the defender FAILS to wrap up and make a tackle. There is a huge difference here. I knew folks wouldn't discern the two.

Two sides to every story, its good to consider that.

When a WR contorts his body opposite of his momentum and gets a hand on the ball, some want o call that a dropped pass. Wrong, that is a bad pass and the WR made crazy adjustment to get even one hand on it. Same concept applies to tackling. If ball carrier going one way and you the other and you get one arm on him and a blocker gets in the way, that is not a missed tackle.

You wanna see missed tackles, watch #21 of the Bears. He puts on a clinic!! 😝

That may be true but in evaluations, the defender stills gets the (-) and ball carrier the (+) even when the ball carrier makes a great play.
Porforis
Originally Posted by: Cheesey 

I agree with him. For the first time in years, the Packer D was swarming to the ball. And we didn’t see the “good D on first and second down, then giving up the big play” that was the norm in recent years.

Also agree. And while there still were some missed tackles, because we were swarming to the ball there always seemed to be someone else there waiting, and I don't recall seeing more than two missed tackles on a given play, and I think that happened only once.

And not that this is at all surprising, Martinez had a couple really nice tackles and seemed to always be near the ball.
Pack93z
One week in... Gute seemingly has hit on most of the defensive targets. Think this speaks a bit to year two in the Pettine scheme and being able to match strengths with needed players to best fit.

But it is certain this team has better team speed out there... Preston Smith was gassed on the last stand... watch a few snaps before his big pressure on the Bears last snap. But even gassed, he had more burst and Perry had shown in a couple years. Z. Smith ... heck all the backers looked quicker.

But that back end of this defense really flashes it... Savage pairs speed with vision... could be lethal as he continues to settle in. Amos looked good in coverage verse some of the tape he laid down in Chitown... corners can close.

One... one major breakdown in coverage on the night that I see watching live... wheel with Montgomery; that is a vast improvement over the past couple seasons with multiple breakdowns in sometimes a single snap.

Williams did get rubbed off that crosser... but that is what that shallow cross is designed to do... rub them off in traffic.
gotarace
Love the Speed upgrade and the amount of hustle around the Football. The moves Glute made are looking Awesome through week 1. Hope the trend continues.
KRK
This analysis is an excellent discussion https://ftw.usatoday.com...efense-film-mike-pettine 

The author points out that they approach and construction of the schemes may be leading edge in addressing the college style tackles which are making their way into the pro game. Highlights include:
  1. Keep the base defense at home. The Packers were willing to give up size in the run box if it allowed them to keep speed out there to defend the pass, a strategy that’s backed by the numbers. In 2018, defenses matched 12 (1 RB, 2 TE, 2 WR) personnel with base defense (four defensive backs) 61% of the time, and offenses produced a DVOA of 3.1%, according to Football Outsiders. When the defenses treated one of those tight ends like a receiver and matched with a nickel defense, their DVOA dropped to -5.3%.
  2. Defend the run with a few bodies as possible...Now, the Packers were running a more traditional “Bear” front, but it created the same effect: With the interior running lanes clogged, Chicago’s running backs were funneled to the perimeter, where Green Bay’s athletic defensive backs could rally and take down the ball carrier for a minimal gain.
  3. Get pressure with as few bodies as possible The concept of a creeper — also referred to as a “simulated pressure” depending which coach you’re talking to — is not too different from the one behind the zone blitz: You have the traditional “fire zone” pattern of a blitz, with second- and third-level defenders replacing traditional rushers in the pass rush, but instead of dropping only six to defend the pass, leaving a void in coverage, you don’t send the fifth rusher and keep seven in coverage.
porky88
I completely agree. The first thing I noticed was that Green Bay was bigger, faster, and longer on defense. They were also more disciplined, which is kudos to the coaching staff. It was nice watching them set the edge and seeing the OLBs playing containment.

This is at least a 2 to 3-year plan by the front office to reemphasize the defense.

DL Dean Lowry - 2016 NFL Draft
DL Kenny Clark - 2016 NFL Draft
DL Montravius Adams - 2017 NFL Draft
OLB Preston Smith - 2019 Free Agency
ILB Blake Martinez - 2016 NFL Draft
OLB Za'darious Smith - 2019 Free Agency
CB Jaire Alexander - 2018 NFL Draft
CB Kevin King - 2017 NFL Draft
CB Tramon Williams - 2018 Free Agency
SS Darnell Savage - 2019 NFL Draft
FS Adrian Amos - 2019 Free Agency

With the exception of Kenny Clark, none of these guys were on the field in the 2016 NFC Championship against Atlanta, which I think exposed the lack of size and speed of the defense.

From a roster building standpoint, I love the combination of draft picks and free agent acquisitions. That's not entirely a knock against Ted Thompson. He deserves credit for drafting at least five of these guys (and Kenny Clark might be the best player of the bunch), but I do think that's where Brian Gutekunst's approach to the off-season has helped enhance the team's roster building.

Of course we are getting a bit excited over just one game, but I do feel encouraged and excited to watch the Packers play defense. I can't think of the last time I thought this.
Cheesey
I’m also excited, but also nervous. The next game against the Queens will say a lot on just how good our D is.
Mucky Tundra
go.pack.go.
The discipline of the defense was mentioned in an earlier post. I completely agree. Seemed like everyone stayed true to their jobs, and when they didn’t, the speed of the defense made up for it.

Another area I was extremely impressed with was the way our DL watched the snap. Trubisky attempted to use the hard count numerous times and never drew us offsides. Nobody even flinched. That was extremely impressive to me, especially with that having been the first game of the year. I imagine that was emphasized in camp, and what better QB to practice that against than Rodgers?