wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
4 years ago

With the Vikings focusing on the run, the Packers gave more snaps to their base packages on defense during Sunday’s game. The Green Bay Packers  defeated the Minnesota Vikings  21-16 on Sunday afternoon, and they did so in an unusual manner: jumping out to a big lead then eventually finishing off the win with a running game and big plays from the defense. This is an encouraging sign for the team if Aaron Rodgers  can find and sustain the success that he had on the first three series of the game, all of which ended in touchdowns for the Packers.
There were a few wrinkles in the breakdown of the team’s playing time, most notably on the offensive line. There, Elgton Jenkins  got to spell Lane Taylor  for a few series at left guard, getting his first taste of regular season action. Meanwhile, the defense used a heavier dose of base personnel, with Tyler Lancaster  and linebacker B.J. Goodson  seeing significant snaps in the victory.
Here’s the breakdown of playing time. (Note that due to an error in the NFL’s tracking system, one Packers punt was labeled as an offensive play rather than a special teams snap, so a few offensive players’ snap counts may be off by a play.)
OFFENSE (74 plays)
Quarterback
Aaron Rodgers  74
Rodgers’ day mirrored that of the Packers’ offense overall; stellar through 20 minutes but ugly thereafter. He had a perfect passer rating through three drives, completing nine of ten passes with a pair of touchdowns. However, his final stat line went 22 of 34 for 209 yards, an average of just 6.14 yards per attempt.
Running Backs
Aaron Jones  43, Jamaal Williams  35, Danny Vitale  8
The Packers got a career day from Jones  in terms of workload, as the third-year back set career highs in carries (23) and total touches (27). He also totaled 150 yards from scrimmage, second in his career to only last year’s Miami game when he had 172.
Williams  added 28 yards rushing on nine carries and three receptions for 13 yards, including the Packers’ first touchdown.
Wide Receivers
Davante Adams  71, Marquez Valdes-Scantling  65, Geronimo Allison  34, Jake Kumerow  6, Trevor Davis  4
Green Bay used 11 personnel on around 40 percent of their snaps on Sunday, likely looking to attack the Vikings’ depleted secondary with their wideouts. Adams  did not find the end zone, but he had his first big game of the year with seven catches on nine targets for 106 yards.
Of the rest of the wideouts, only Allison  (4 catches for 25 yards and one touchdown), MVS (three for 19) and Kumerow  (one for 12) were targeted in the passing game.
Tight Ends
Jimmy Graham  54, Marcedes Lewis  31, Robert Tonyan  21
The Packers’ tight ends were shut out in the passing game on Sunday, with no receptions on three targets. The team also continues to insist on using Graham  as a blocker, as he was responsible for whiffing on Danielle Hunter  on a third-down sack in the third quarter, and he also got a flag for offensive pass interference on what would have been his only reception in the game.
Offensive Linemen
Bryan Bulaga  74, David Bakhtiari  74, Billy Turner  74, Corey Linsley  74, Lane Taylor  56, Elgton Jenkins 18
After Taylor apparently won the starting left guard job in training camp, the Packers began to work Elgton Jenkins into the lineup on Sunday, giving him a few series in that spot. Jenkins looked solid in his playing time, however, and he will probably be in the starting lineup at some point in the relatively near future.
The line had a better day run-blocking against Minnesota than they did in week one, helping pave the way for a steady if not explosive 144 yards on 33 carries. They also only gave up one sack of Rodgers, with the second being on Graham.
DEFENSE (65 plays)
Defensive Linemen
Kenny Clark  56, Dean Lowry  43, Tyler Lancaster  32, Montravius Adams  19, Fadol Brown  6
Clark  continues to get the bulk of the work on the defensive line, and he ended up landing the Packers’ only sack of the game — which resulted in a forced fumble and a turnover as Dean Lowry  recovered. Lowry was consistently around the quarterback, as the Vikings seemed incapable of blocking him, though he had just three tackles and a pass breakup.
Lancaster saw significant playing time, even more than Adams  — again likely due to the team’s focus on defending the run.
Outside Linebackers
Preston Smith  57, Za’Darius Smith  56, Kyler Fackrell  21, Rashan Gary  14
The Packers got a total of four hits on Cousins  from this group — one each from the Smiths and a pair from Fackrell . However, Fackrell’s day was a disappointment, as he had a couple of clean shots at players in the backfield and could not bring them down. Za’Darius Smith finished the day with six tackles while Preston had two stops and an interception. Gary played more than he did in week one, but recorded no official stats. Stay tuned to see if he had any pressures once some advanced stats are announced.
Inside Linebackers
Blake Martinez  65, B.J. Goodson  38, Raven Greene  15, Will Redmond  12
Martinez  was his usual stalwart self, and against a run-heavy team his presence was felt with 13 total tackles in the game. Greene  left the game fairly early with an ankle injury and did not return, leaving more snaps for Goodson , who played a fair amount thanks to the heavier run and base personnel focus. When the team did go with a hybrid DB/linebacker late in the game, Redmond was the guy, though he did not appear on the stat sheet.
Safeties
Darnell Savage  65, Adrian Amos  65
There were no surprises here, as the Packers’ starting safety duo lined up on every snap. Savage did take a cleat to the leg on the last play of the game, but the team does not appear to be concerned about his status moving forward. Savage’s stat line finished with six solo tackles, a pass breakup, and a forced fumble (on Kirk Cousins ), while Amos  had three tackles (one for a loss) plus a fourth on special teams.
Cornerbacks
Jaire Alexander  65, Kevin King  64, Tramon Williams  21, Josh Jackson  1
With the Packers focusing more heavily on base alignments thanks to the Vikings’ focus on the running game, the team tended to use far fewer three-cornerback sets. Williams  was the one who lost out on snaps in those situations, as Alexander  and King  took practically every snap at the boundary positions.
Alexander had a pair of pass breakups in the first half, but allowed a touchdown pass to slip through his fingers as he lost it in the sun. However, he was consistently there with tight coverage on Stefon Diggs  and Adam Thielen. Meanwhile, King recorded an interception in the red zone to effectively clinch the win for the Packers.

[/URL]      

Continue Reading @ [url=https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/by-the-numbers/2019/9/16/20868361/packers-snap-counts-week-2-elgton-jenkins-gets-on-the-field-defense-goes-with-more-base]Evan "Tex" Western 

Evan "Tex" Western wrote:

I am a little surprised Josh Jackson only got one snap but I wasn't concerned that Tony Brown was limited to ST duty.
UserPostedImage
gbguy20
4 years ago
Notice Geronimo is 3rd receiver now
buckeyepackfan
4 years ago

Notice Geronimo is 3rd receiver now

Originally Posted by: gbguy20 

He is the slot receiver.
Packers played a lot of 2 TE sets.
Eliminates the slot reciever.

I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
TheKanataThrilla
4 years ago

He is the slot receiver.

Originally Posted by: buckeyepackfan 

We used 2 TE sets and our TEs caught 0 passes. Not sure if that is really a win.

I would like them to activate Shepherd and try him in the slot.
gbguy20
4 years ago

He is the slot receiver.

Originally Posted by: buckeyepackfan 

You're right....the slot receiver is normally listed as 3.
go.pack.go.
4 years ago
LaFleur answered that specific question about who is the #2 receiver. He said that he doesn’t look at the offense that way. He said there are certain plays designed for certain guys & it doesn’t matter who is technically #2 or #3.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
4 years ago

LaFleur answered that specific question about who is the #2 receiver. He said that he doesn’t look at the offense that way. He said there are certain plays designed for certain guys & it doesn’t matter who is technically #2 or #3.

Originally Posted by: go.pack.go. 

Just like the whole who started thing, it doesn't matter! Starting simply means you were in the first snap of offense or defense.

Let's roll!
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
4 years ago

I would like them to activate Shepherd and try him in the slot.

Originally Posted by: TheKanataThrilla 

With Greene going on IR, you just might get your wish.

UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
4 years ago

With Greene going on IR, you just might get your wish.

Originally Posted by: Nonstopdrivel 

How are these connected? Raven Greene going to IR does nothing for Darrius Sheppard. Or are you thinking because the new guy, CB Tremon Smith is so new, they might activate Sheppard on the gameday 46?

Based on previous two weeks of inactives, I think the only thing that gets Sheppard a nod as the (6th?) WR is if one of the others is dinged up. I just don't see us suiting up 7 WR.

I think the Greene active spot goes to CB Hollman for teams with many WR threats, or DT Keke if they have beefy OL and power run.

Week 1
Oren Burks ILB Inactive
Ka'Dar Hollman CB Inactive
Kingsley Keke DT Inactive
Alex Light OG Inactive
Cole Madison OG Inactive
Darrius Shepherd WR Inactive
Dexter Williams RB Inactive

Week 2
Oren Burks ILB Inactive
Ka'Dar Hollman CB Inactive
Kingsley Keke DT Inactive
Cole Madison OG Inactive
Lucas Patrick OG Inactive
Darrius Shepherd WR Inactive
Dexter Williams RB Inactive
UserPostedImage
earthquake
4 years ago
Trevor Davis traded to the Raiders. Shepherd has a better chance of being on the 46 now. Does this make him the top returner?
blank
Fan Shout
dfosterf (15h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (15h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (16h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (19h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (19h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (22h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (23h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
33m / Around The NFL / Zero2Cool

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.