wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
4 years ago

Officiating has been the talk of the NFL after Monday night's game between the Lions and Packers was impacted by a couple of controversial penalties called on Lions defensive lineman Trey Flowers. That comes on the heels of many weeks of discussion about pass interference replay reviews and the apparent unwillingness of the league to [more]

Continue Reading @ Josh Alper 

Josh Alper wrote:

While I have been in favor of full time officials for years I don't see how it will improve the performance by officials. They typically are full time for the better part of football season. Many catch a college game on Thursday or Friday and the NFL game on Sunday or Monday. Most don't run back to the office on Tuesday and crank out three 8 hour days between games. Their "other" job usually waits for them until the off season.
UserPostedImage
Porforis
4 years ago
People are looking for a solution to an unsolvable problem - people that can make correct judgements about rules that rely on individual interpretation, with correct defined as "As everyone will agree with".
gbguy20
4 years ago
They literally just signed a new officiating cba a week or two ago. So even if we do, its 6 or 7 years away now
gbguy20
4 years ago
Also, the officials aren't the problem. The constant rule changes and bowing to public pressure is the problem. They bowed to public demand to implement replay for PI and all it is doing is making public opinion worse. Eliminate slow motion replay. Undo the bs rules. Bam.
buckeyepackfan
4 years ago

Also, the officials aren't the problem. The constant rule changes and bowing to public pressure is the problem. They bowed to public demand to implement replay for PI and all it is doing is making public opinion worse. Eliminate slow motion replay. Undo the bs rules. Bam.

Originally Posted by: gbguy20 

The problem with eliminating sloe mo replay is, and this is usually the problem, Networks spend millions if not billions of dollars for the rights to broadcast.
The. Networks would never agree to eliminating replay.
Always, follow the money .

Fans are blaming the refs.
The NFL has created this problem, and doesn't have a clue how to fix it.

The Packers benefited by a couple of questionable calls this time, as always, things seem to even out.
Let's hope we are even from last year and don't end up on the wrong side anymore this year.

I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
KRK
  • KRK
  • Veteran Member
4 years ago
Greater time spent on a job does not necessarily correlate to a better job, especially relative to someone having more than enough time to train.
In Luce tua Videmus Lucem KRK
Cheesey
4 years ago
I can’t help but wonder if the refs won’t “even it out” against the Raiders.
(I hope not)
UserPostedImage
beast
4 years ago

While I have been in favor of full time officials for years I don't see how it will improve the performance by officials. They typically are full time for the better part of football season. Many catch a college game on Thursday or Friday and the NFL game on Sunday or Monday. Most don't run back to the office on Tuesday and crank out three 8 hour days between games. Their "other" job usually waits for them until the off season.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

That's why I'm against the idea of full time refs as the solution.... I feel like it'd be an on paper change more than any physical change.

I mean ultimately I don't care if they're full time or not, as long as they do a decent job (or as Rob gronkowski said, at least make calls consistent... as sometimes they're allowed a ton of extra contact, other times they're allowed none, which is why the Patriots also study the refs which I think is genius level and I think other team should be doing and if they're not)... but refs can be inconsistent throughout a single game.

But I want the best refs, no matter what their off season job is or isn't (within reason; no sports bookies)...

And as I remember someone pointing out, it's not like refs have a real life reffing simulator that can simulate NFL speed... even reffing other football games can't simulate the NFL speed, and game film can't simulate being there live in person... so there is almost no way to use off-season practice for the refs except maybe at NFL practices.
UserPostedImage
go.pack.go.
4 years ago
The refs make some terrible calls, no doubt. If they could just eliminate those few bad, game changing calls, that would be great.

I do, however, think they do a good job most of the time. They’re only human, and it’s hard for them to see everything in real time, from their angle on the field. People need to remember that we have a better vantage point and the convenience of slow motion replay. They have to see it as it happens. I can see why the ref thought there was hands to the face with the way Bakhtiari rolled his head back (props to him). There is, however, NO excuse for these bullshit roughing the passer calls.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (2h) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (2h) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (18h) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (18h) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (18h) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (19h) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (20h) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

16h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

22h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.