KRK
  • KRK
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
4 years ago
Last Tuesday or Wednesday....but this week for sure

I am post-concussed, so I don't remember.

In Luce tua Videmus Lucem KRK
Cheesey
4 years ago

Last Tuesday or Wednesday....but this week for sure

I am post-concussed, so I don't remember.

Originally Posted by: KRK 

You got concussed by a POST?
Hope it wasn’t one of mine that did it!😂

I know this is a serious thread, but as Popeye would say, “I yam what I yam”....in my case, CHEESEY.
UserPostedImage
KRK
  • KRK
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
4 years ago
MRI Confirms Persistent Concussion Effects in Athletes 1 Year After Resuming Play
-Brain recovery lagged behind clinical recovery, increasing risk for long-term consequences
by Zeena Nackerdien PhD, CME Writer, MedPage Today October 23, 2019
Study Authors: Nathan W. Churchill, Michael G. Hutchison, et al.

Target Audience and Goal Statement: Neurologists, sports medicine doctors, psychologists, radiologists, emergency department physicians, family physicians

The goal of this observational study was to test the hypothesis that concussion-related brain alterations seen at symptomatic injury and medical clearance to return to play in college athletes will have dissipated by 1 year after return to play.

Question Addressed: Would effects from concussion persist at 1 year after a college athlete was medically cleared to return to play?

Study Synopsis and Perspective:
Acute trauma to the brain, such as the impact of a sports injury, a car accident, or a fall, could result in a concussion. Brain injuries may occur in a coup-countercoup fashion, in which the brain bumps into the interior of the skull, where it is hit, as well as on the opposite side, resulting in damaging bruises at two sites in the brain. Biomechanical injury to neurons in the brain are thought to contribute to post-concussive vulnerability.

Action Points
[list]
  • Imaging markers of brain injury were still seen on MRI when concussed athletes were cleared to return to play, and evidence of brain injury persisted for 12 months after return to play, in this observational study of college athletes.
  • Realize that the diagnosis of concussion and determination of return to play are currently based on symptom status and brief evaluations of cognition and balance, but these assessments only indirectly reflect the underlying brain injury.[/list]
  • Competitive sports and recreational activities account for as many as 3.8 million concussions in the U.S. each year, with half of these transient brain injuries going unreported. About 1 million athletes have reported having two or more concussions. Recurrent concussion is associated with a higher risk of post-concussion syndrome -- a complex disorder in which various symptoms (such as headaches and dizziness) last for weeks and sometimes months after the injury.

However, the diagnosis of a concussion is currently based on symptom status and brief evaluations of cognition and balance. Similarly, a return to play is determined mainly by symptom resolution of a graded exercise protocol.

In a new study published in Neurology, Tom Schweizer, PhD, of St. Michael's Hospital in Toronto, Canada, and colleagues used longitudinal MRI to investigate brain recovery after a concussion. They reported that different aspects of brain physiology showed different patterns of recovery over time, with only a subset of MRI parameters showing non-significant concussion effects at 1 year after return to play. Moreover, the effects of concussion on the brain also vary as a function of clinical measures, including acute symptom severity and time to return to play, for all examined MRI parameters, they noted.

A total of 24 college athletes with concussion (mean age 20, 54% women) and 122 without concussion (mean age 20.3, 49% women) were enrolled in this observational study. Athletes were recruited via a sports medicine clinic at a single institution. The included athletes who played volleyball, hockey, soccer, football, rugby, basketball, lacrosse, and water polo.

All athletes completed baseline assessments with the Sport Concussion Assessment Tool 3 (SCAT3). Three MRI scans were performed: the first scan was performed about 4 days, on average, after the injury; the second one was performed when the athlete received clearance to return to play; and the final scan was performed 1 year after the return to play. Athletes who did not have concussions also underwent MRIs at the start of their respective seasons. Key effects of concussion on MRI parameters were evaluated at post-injury time points.

Imaging markers of brain injury were still seen when concussed athletes were cleared to return to play, and evidence of brain injury persisted for 12 months after return to play. Significant reductions in cerebral blood flow of 10 mL/100g/m were observed in concussed versus healthy athletes. Using an imaging approach that maps how water molecules move in the white matter of the brain, the researchers showed that the brains of concussed athletes exhibited possible evidence of tissue swelling 1 year after return to play.

Prior sports concussions studies have identified both focal increases and decreases in brain connectivity. But in the current study, measurements of the patterns of resting brain activity in the organ's gray matter and measurements of the lines of communication in the brain's white matter showed a return to normal 1 year after a return to play.

"Brain recovery after concussion may be a more complex and longer-lasting process than we originally thought," said co-author Nathan Churchill, PhD, also of St. Michael's Hospital.

"There is growing concern for the long-term health risks associated with concussion. However, we still know relatively little about how the brain recovers from concussion over the long-term, which is needed to understand the potential cause of these health concerns," he told MedPage Today.

This study had several limitations, the authors noted. Exertion and subconcussive impacts after return to play may have influenced results. In addition, athletes with concussion had MRIs only after injury, and not at baseline.
    Source Reference: Neurology 2019; DOI: 10.1212/WNL.0000000000008523

Study Highlights and Explanation of Findings:
    Based on one of the longest follow-up studies of brain recovery in university-level athletes to date, researchers found that the brains of concussed athletes still continued to show signs of injury 1 year after receiving full medical clearance.

"This research is striking because the length of time of the follow-up is unprecedented," said Churchill in a press release.

"At the moment, safe return-to-play is largely based on the resolution of symptoms, but this is an indirect measure of brain recovery," Churchill told MedPage Today. At medical clearance, "concussed athletes showed differences in brain structure and function compared to uninjured athletes, suggesting incomplete recovery. More importantly, 1 year later, some aspects of the brain looked normal, but others still showed signs of ongoing recovery."

"At return to play, face-value indications of the injury -- such as cognitive impairment and symptoms -- appear to have cleared," said Schweizer in the press release. "However, our findings show early and long-term brain changes in response to the concussion. This suggests a potential risk for long-term consequences, given the evidence of worse outcomes if a second concussion occurs before recovery is complete."

These findings are consistent with smaller studies that have used various imaging and electrical measurement tools to assess post-concussion effects, said Robert Cantu, MD, of the Boston University Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy (CTE) Center, who was not involved in the study.
    "When someone is symptomatically completely cleared of all post-concussion symptoms and is neurologically normal on examination -- when I, as a clinician in my office, determine the eye-tracking is normal, the cognition is normal, the balance is normal, the symptom checklist is back to baseline -- I'm going to send that individual through a return-to-play protocol and allow them to return to play," Cantu said in an interview with MedPage Today.

"At that point, there are still a wide number of studies that are not yet back to normal," he continued. "It's unnerving because we worry that we're possibly not being conservative enough in terms of when we send people back based just on the neurologic exam and the symptom checklist."

But many of these measurement tools -- such as evoked potentials, diffusion tensor MRI, and functional MRI -- are not recognized by the American Board of Radiology, Cantu added. "They are not clinical tools that a doctor in his office will order up and use as stop-go criteria."

"By the end of the study, the concussed athletes were determined to be fully recovered based on clinical assessment, and had otherwise fully returned to normal work and school activities," Churchill said. "This is important, as it suggests that there are long-lasting brain changes even with full clinical recovery. It also raises new questions about when -- if ever -- the brain returns to 'normal,' and whether the long-lasting brain changes we see are related to worse outcomes if the athletes sustain another concussion before recovery is completed."

Reviewed by Henry A. Solomon, MD, FACP, FACC Clinical Associate Professor, Weill Cornell Medical College

In Luce tua Videmus Lucem KRK
    Fan Shout
    Zero2Cool (6h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
    Zero2Cool (6h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
    wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
    Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
    wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
    Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
    Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
    Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
    wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
    Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
    Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
    Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
    Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
    Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
    Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
    Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
    Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
    wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
    wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
    wpr (17-Mar) : INI
    wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
    Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
    Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
    Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
    Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
    dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
    Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
    Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
    dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
    dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
    dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
    dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
    dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
    Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
    Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
    Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
    Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
    Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
    dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
    dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
    Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
    Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
    Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
    Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
    Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
    Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
    Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
    dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
    Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
    Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
    Please sign in to use Fan Shout
    2023 Packers Schedule
    Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
    Bears
    Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
    Falcons
    Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
    SAINTS
    Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
    LIONS
    Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
    Raiders
    Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
    Broncos
    Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
    VIKINGS
    Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
    RAMS
    Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
    Steelers
    Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
    CHARGERS
    Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
    Lions
    Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
    CHIEFS
    Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
    Giants
    Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
    BUCCANEERS
    Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
    Panthers
    Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
    Vikings
    Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
    BEARS
    Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
    Cowboys
    Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
    49ers
    Recent Topics
    2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
    Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.