wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
4 years ago

Jadeveon Clowney wrecked the game against the 49ers. Now, Joe Staley is out and the Packers boast not one but two pass rushers who can take over. They can make Jimmy Garoppolo’s life even more miserable than Seattle did. They had no answers for No. 90 in gray: the lanky, powerful disruptor for the Seattle Seahawks , whose speed, power, and unrelenting will eventually broke the San Francisco 49ers . Jadeveon Clowney  dominated that contest in a way defensive ends rarely can in the modern NFL, and he did it with just one official sack. The Packers  have chaos agents of their own who could follow a similar path, but Green Bay has an advantage the Seahawks did not: Mike Pettine has two.
In week 10, Pro Football Focus charted Clowney  with 11 pressures and 4 QB hits. Starting 49ers tackles Mike McGlinchey  and Joe Staley each gave up 7 pressures in the contest on a night when Jimmy Garoppolo  never found comfort or rhythm in the pocket. According  to NFL’s NextGen Stats, Jimmy Garoppolo  was a paltry 3/18 for 59 yards and a pick on 10+ yard passes against the Seahawks, the lowest completion percentage (16.7%) by a QB this season with at least 15 attempts. He also posted one of the worst performances in terms of air yards per pass of the season.
Clowney ’s disruption scuttled the 49ers offense to the point Garoppolo  turned in one of the most inept performances of the season by a quarterback, one that could have been even worse statistically had the Seahawks defenders not displayed the dexterity of a moose wearing oven mitts on would-be interceptions.
Compounding matters, the protection didn’t get any better last week against the Cardinals  when rookie sixth-round pick Justin Skule  replaced Staley who is out after having surgery on his finger. McGlinchey  gave up 6 pressures to the Cardinals while Skule allowed 8, the second and third-worst performances of the week across the NFL. Chandler Jones  and Terrell Suggs  present challenges for most teams, but the Smith  Brothers provide more than a challenge, to a nearly Sisyphean level for opposing offenses.
That same week Clowney  pulverized the 49ers, Za’Darius Smith hung 12 pressures and 3 QB hits on the Panthers  according to PFF, but his coach Mike Smith  had him for 14 pressures despite no sacks. On his own, Big Z can do what Clowney did. He’s done it all season. In fact, the two have rushed opposing quarterbacks the same number of times this season. Smith boasts 57 pressures to Clowney’s 44, despite being double-teamed  at nearly identical rates.
Smith’s mere presence offers more opportunities for his running mate and unofficial brother. Preston boasts the fourth-best pass rush win rate in football in part because he’s being double-teamed far less than his counterpart, around 16% compared to 26%. For context, Za’Darius is 9th in win rate and Clowney is 7th.
More to the point, given the blocking situation for the 49ers and Za’Darius Smith’s talent, coupled with Garoppolo’s struggles when pressured and his penchant for turnovers, World War Z could be coming to the Bay. But it’s more than that, worse for Kyle Shanahan and the 49ers. Preston is coming too.
Green Bay’s Achilles heel this season comes when teams push the ball down the field. If Garoppolo doesn’t have time to throw, that becomes infinitely more difficult, as evidenced by his performance against Clowney and a thoroughly mediocre Seahawks defense. In fact, the Packers defense, for all of its critics among Cheesehead Nation, ranks ahead of Seattle in total defense and passing defense by DVOA.
One player, particularly a pass rusher, can ruin a game. The 49ers and Handsome Jimmy have proven to be particularly susceptible to this despite not losing often because of it. A tremendous defense and a soft schedule lightens the burden placed on what has been a middling offense this season (16th by DVOA).
If a virtuoso pass rusher and top-tier quarterback is the model to beat the 49ers, how about a team with a top-tier quarterback and two virtuoso pass rushers? This was the recipe Brian Gutekunst envisioned when he signed not one but both of the offseason’s high-priced pass rush targets. These are the kind of games they’re getting paid top dollar to wreck on their own, and it just happens to come with the top spot in the NFC up for grabs.

Continue Reading @ Peter_Bukowski 

Peter_Bukowski wrote:

Go get em guys
UserPostedImage
beast
4 years ago

This article is overlooking some things, such as the 49ers were 8-0 while their starting OTs played in a combined 6 of 16 games.

Both of the starting OTs came back for the Seahawks games and we're quite rusty... (and maybe still are)... but their backups have been getting starter like reps most of the season, and they had been winning until the Seahawks game (which I believe also saw some of their top receivers leave with injury)

Part of that is because, as Kyle Shanahan said, they've been able to win running the ball (and defense) that they didn't need to put much pressure on the QB to ask him to go out and win games for them until the last couple of weeks with the Cardinals and Seahawks.

What about the Cardinals and Seahawks are different, that the 49ers game plans of running the ball and defense didn't work out as much?

I don't know, as I haven't been able to research... but I'm assuming they stopped the run better, forcing the pass...

And according to some of the TV talking heads, it's partly due to the fact that the Cardinals and Seahawks have QBs that are mobile as hell! Which gave the 49ers defense and especially their pass rushers hell trying to track them down... Rodgers is quite mobile... but not nearly as mobile as the Cardinals and Seahawks QBs.

But I think it's gonna come down to running the ball to keep pressure off the QBs (both sides)... and when they have to pass it, whom can keep the pressure off the QB.

Interesting question is will Pettine try to attack the passing game first, or will he try to stop the run to force the passing.
UserPostedImage
Dulak
4 years ago

This article is overlooking some things, such as the 49ers were 8-0 while their starting OTs played in a combined 6 of 16 games.

Both of the starting OTs came back for the Seahawks games and we're quite rusty... (and maybe still are)... but their backups have been getting starter like reps most of the season, and they had been winning until the Seahawks game (which I believe also saw some of their top receivers leave with injury)

Part of that is because, as Kyle Shanahan said, they've been able to win running the ball (and defense) that they didn't need to put much pressure on the QB to ask him to go out and win games for them until the last couple of weeks with the Cardinals and Seahawks.

What about the Cardinals and Seahawks are different, that the 49ers game plans of running the ball and defense didn't work out as much?

I don't know, as I haven't been able to research... but I'm assuming they stopped the run better, forcing the pass...

And according to some of the TV talking heads, it's partly due to the fact that the Cardinals and Seahawks have QBs that are mobile as hell! Which gave the 49ers defense and especially their pass rushers hell trying to track them down... Rodgers is quite mobile... but not nearly as mobile as the Cardinals and Seahawks QBs.

But I think it's gonna come down to running the ball to keep pressure off the QBs (both sides)... and when they have to pass it, whom can keep the pressure off the QB.

Interesting question is will Pettine try to attack the passing game first, or will he try to stop the run to force the passing.

Originally Posted by: beast 

Great post, and I watched that game too and it was a Great game; seahawks stacked the box with most plays so the niners had no running game and it made gerapollo (spelling) have to throw; and with the pass rush the seahawks had going on (clowney was a BEAST) = the niners went down. Oh and you mentioned no sanders nor their starting TE was playing. We will have a better team to beat on our day.

We better not be messing around and going out boozing again.
KRK
  • KRK
  • Veteran Member
4 years ago
Great Posts!!!

As the NFL is a game of adjustments, expect Shanahan to motion a tight end to D Smith’s side (or two). This will enable them to chip and help double team on pass situations.

I am also suggesting that the will try to run at D Smith to wear him down.

It will be incumbent on our interior line (Clark Lowry Adams Lancaster) to at least hold their own, if not win, their one on ones.

I am trying to say that to the extent he can, Shanahan will try to scheme the Smiths out of the game and make someone else beat them.
In Luce tua Videmus Lucem KRK
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
4 years ago
I think it is going to begin with stopping the run. If they can do that they have a chance to get to Jimmy G. If the SF run game is unhindered it'll be a long day for the Packers.
UserPostedImage
yooperfan
4 years ago

I think it is going to begin with stopping the run. If they can do that they have a chance to get to Jimmy G. If the SF run game is unhindered it'll be a long day for the Packers.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

Let's hope Pettine can come up with some adjustments to do just that.
To date it's apparent that he has not been able to do so.
The defense needs to come up big on SNF.
dyeah_gb
4 years ago
If the SF offensive plan calls for getting the ball out quick and running the ball. the D is screwed. If the pack are lucky, SF will try to run alot of 3rd down plays that take forever to develop.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool - R. Feynman
KRK
  • KRK
  • Veteran Member
4 years ago
I hope we see more Adams and Keke.

Would you ever consider starting one more DL and one less LB?
beast
4 years ago

I hope we see more Adams and Keke.

Originally Posted by: KRK 

It's be nice if they stepped up and earned more playing time. I thought they would be stepping up with the departure of Daniels, but it's been Lowry and Lancaster getting more playing time. Adams and Keke combine for about 33% of the snaps.

Would you ever consider starting one more DL and one less LB?

Originally Posted by: KRK 

You mean going from a 2-4 to a 3-3? ... I don't think any team runs a 3-3 in the NFL, and I don't think the Packers have the personal for it, as the LBers would have to be better in coverage.

Or do you mean from a 3-4 to a 4-3? ... cus really the entire NFL has basically moved to starting 5 DB packages... and Packers have played more with 6 DBs than 4 DBs...

Either way, it's no... because Z. Smith and Gary are edge rush / DL tweeners which Pettine likes... if you want an extra DL on the field, then just ask them to stunt to the DL role.

UserPostedImage
KRK
  • KRK
  • Veteran Member
4 years ago
Against a 122, 131, 221, esp in 3rd or 4th and short:

Running both smiths, clark, plus 3 of (lancaster lowry, adams or keke) plus (martinez and 4 DB) or 5 db's

Alternatively, move z smith inside and bring in and (Gary +2) and either martinez +4 or 5 db.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (21m) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (10h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (17h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (18h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (19h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (22h) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
dfosterf (25-Mar) : A major foul will be enforced on the offense if there are offsetting penalties in a change of possession situation
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

22h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.