wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
4 years ago
It's sad that the theater can't let people watch for free. It was probably a pretty amazing experience. I imagine there wasn't more than 50-60 people there for most games.
The NFL has to grind every nickle they can get and crush anyone who might not line up with their edicts.

Horror of horrors the movie house probably sold POPCORN or HOTDOGS maybe even SODA POP during the game! What are they thinking?

The big screen at De Pere Cinema has gone dark for Green Bay Packers games.

The second-run movie theater will no longer be allowed to show Packers game broadcasts after receiving notice from the NFL’s legal counsel that the showings are in violation of copyright laws. Owners Mike and Vicki Radue shared the news Tuesday on the theater’s Facebook page:

“We are sorry to announce that we will no longer be able to show the Packer games. We have received notice from the NFL that under their copyright laws we do not qualify to show their games even though we do not charge admission. We are saddened by this policy of the NFL as families enjoyed bringing their children and our regular patrons appreciated the relaxed and comfortable atmosphere. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.”

The couple have owned the theater at 417 George St. since 2001 and shown Packers games for nearly 20 years, Mike Radue said. The Radues own two other indoor theaters under Get Reel Inc.: Lakeshore Cinema in Manitowoc and Chilton Cinema in Chilton. The announcement of no more Packers game showings was also posted on the Lakeshore Cinema Facebook page.

PressGazette  wrote:

UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
4 years ago
There's a second-run theater in La Crosse that plays the Packers/Vikings games on the big screen. The joke in town is that if you're standing on the sidewalk, you can't tell which team has scored because the cheering is equally loud either way. I wonder if that tradition is in jeopardy too.

The league isn't wrong, of course: the theater was in violation of NFL copyright. What's more, the theater knows this full well. They wouldn't dare show a film without the proper license, because it would violate the studio's copyright. They could have avoided this whole mess by obtaining a public performance license from the league, just as sports bars and restaurants that air games do. It wouldn't have been cheap, and they almost certainly would have lost money on the deal, which is why they didn't to it.

That isn't to say I like the league's decision, of course, just that I can completely understand why they'd want to protect their lucrative licensing revenue stream. Can you imagine the stink places like Buffalo Wild Wings would put up if they found out competitors weren't paying for the privilege of showing the games? It would seriously diminish the amount the NFL could charge for these licenses.
UserPostedImage
gbguy20
4 years ago
Thanks for being the level head, nsd. Was hoping to see it
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
4 years ago

That isn't to say I like the league's decision, of course, just that I can completely understand why they'd want to protect their lucrative licensing revenue stream. Can you imagine the stink places like Buffalo Wild Wings would put up if they found out competitors weren't paying for the privilege of showing the games? It would seriously diminish the amount the NFL could charge for these licenses.

Originally Posted by: Nonstopdrivel 

Yes I know. I know.
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
4 years ago
Wow....it’s not like they were taking fans out of seats at Lambeau Field.
Just plain sad.
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
4 years ago

MLB Won't Give Me Permission To Describe Game To Friend 
9.3.09 2:17 PM EDT By Phil Villarreal

Shoeless Joe Jackson. Pete Rose. Barry Bonds. Now I add my name to the end of this list, for we all have been shunned by Major League Baseball.

After watching the Diamondbacks-Astros game Aug. 23, I decided I’d like to describe the game to my friend Tyler, who was too busy to watch it. But mindful of the oft-repeated disclaimer, “Any rebroadcast, retransmission, or account of this game, without the express written consent of Major League Baseball, is prohibited,” I wanted to square my plans with league offices first. I thought my chances were decent. After all, it’s been done before.

The next morning I shot off an e-mail to MLB with my request and heard back within hours from Valerie Vieira, from the business development department in MLB Advanced Media. She asked me to call her.

I explained my situation to her and asked how to go about getting express written consent. She wanted to know if I was going to blog about the game or do a podcast, and I said no, I just wanted to describe the game to someone while sitting on my living room couch.

“How could anyone stop you from talking about the game in your own living room?” she said, taking my request as a joke.

I reassured her that it wasn’t. While I doubted the MLB spies would be able to get to me, the disclaimer made it very clear that I’m not allowed to give my account of the game, so I wanted express written consent that gave me permission to talk about the game, and I would post a blog about how I went about attaining the consent. She said someone else from MLB would be calling me.

I waited 9 days, holding my tongue about the forbidden Diamondbacks-Astros game, patiently hoping MLB would give me the thumbs-up. I called and e-mailed Valerie several times to remind her I was waiting, but neither she nor anyone else has gotten back to me.

I take this to mean I am not allowed to describe the game to Tyler. Which is just as well, because I’ve forgotten all about the particulars now. Well played, Major League Baseball. This is one treasured, legally protected account you were able to keep under wraps.

Thankfully, MLB did not require me to get “express written consent” to describe my attempts at getting “express written consent,” so here we are.

Postscript: I also asked the NBA and NFL for express written consent to describe game 2 of the 2009 NBA Finals and the Aug. 22 Cardinals-Chargers preseason game, respectively, but was ignored. At least MLB was courteous enough to reply.

Phil Villarreal wrote:

UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
4 years ago

Making Sure You Have Your Expressed Written Consent 

Leitch
9/27/05 4:43PM

We make fun of commissioner Bud Selig and Major League Baseball a lot here, but we must give credit where credit be due. An enterprising sort named Merritt Bettineski, tongue planted firmly in Merritt Bettineski Cheek, wrote a letter to MLB Headquarters asking Selig for permission to show an old Seattle Mariners game at a party, mindful of the omnipresent "Any rebroadcast, reproduction or other use of this game without the express written consent of Major League Baseball is prohibited." And, God bless 'em, MLB wrote him back.

Dear Merritt,
In response to your written request, dated September 9, 2005, we gladly grant you permission to use the tape of the 1995 Seattle Mariners Game 5 win over the New York Yankees at your house party.
Best regards,
Nick Trotta
Footage Licensing Coordinator
Major League Baseball Productions

Leitch wrote:

That put a smile on our face.

It would be pretty funny if millions of face letterbombed the NFL requesting permission to talk about the game at work on Monday.
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
4 years ago
Isn’t it just plain crazy???
I have taped and watch games all the time. I NEVER even thought that I was breaking any kind of law,
I’m a BAAAAD boy!!!😂
UserPostedImage
dhazer
4 years ago
The one I found thats really bad is NBC, they seem to have a way of finding out if someone is rebroadcasting them. But yet during the world series, hockey championship series and Super Bowl can all be broadcast outside stadiums which I am sure is not being paid for. I do't think I have ever been to a bar and not seen a game on tv and I can guarantee they didn't pay a fee

Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
4 years ago
If they probably don't pay a fee to the league directly, I guarantee it's wrapped into the fees they pay for their cable subscriptions. But I'm guessing these sorts of licensing deals are handled by clearinghouses anyway.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (2m) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (42m) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (3h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (4h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (14h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (21h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (22h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (23h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

22h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.