It sucks to get our asses kicked, but the pain is a great motivator throughout the organization....hopefully with train, draft, coach, practice and play with a chip on our shoulders.
But lets be honest....this year was a damn good year. Consider where we were at the close of last season. We sucked.
This season, our record was terrific and getting to the NFC championship was remarkable. We has a first year, first time head coach who seemed to have command of the locker room and respect of both veteran and young players....something our "Super-Bowl winning" coach did not have. Our first time GM did a great job as well. Remember, Rome was not built overnight.
Were they perfect no, but they did a helluva job. So let's tip our collective hats to them.
The ass kicking we received should help put a number of things in perspective:
- Our staff got a lot out of an just above average roster.
- The cupboard, prior to free agency was pretty damn thin, but Gutey and staff hit on 3 of 4 free agents.
- Other than a first round bust, we got at least 3 2020-1 starters out of the draft.
- On the offensive side, this roster was not built for LaFleur's style of offense.
- We won close games, and that is typically a sign of great coaching
I would urge us all to have perspective, take stock in the year and realize the the ship appears be headed in the right direction.