Discussion Board
Cheesey
The same thing that stops our season EVERY TIME.
A LOUSY DEFENSE.
I’m tired of it. Other teams can stack a defense, why can’t we?
Had we had an at least DECENT defense, we would have had a chance. Their QB didn’t have to do ANYTHING but hand off the ball!
If Rodgers had to only do that, we would have won.
Mucky Tundra
Zero2Cool
Originally Posted by: Cheesey 

The same thing that stops our season EVERY TIME.
A LOUSY DEFENSE.
I’m tired of it. Other teams can stack a defense, why can’t we?
Had we had an at least DECENT defense, we would have had a chance. Their QB didn’t have to do ANYTHING but hand off the ball!
If Rodgers had to only do that, we would have won.

Other teams have several lousy seasons that help improve draft selection. 49ers picked in top five this year because of a crappy 2018 season. They had high picks and hit on them. Nick Bosa and Deebo Samuel specifically. They even got a stud in 5th round.

We took a huge step in the right direction. We're plugging holes with free agents. Must keep that going.
Cheesey
How many years has our defense been the main reason our season ended?
It’s just frustrating. I thought we had at least a decent defense this year. But stopping the run has been terrible this year.
What good is a pass rush if the other team only passes a half dozen times, and they run the ball down their throats?
I’m just frustrated.
Zero2Cool

How many years has our defense been the main reason our season ended?
It’s just frustrating. I thought we had at least a decent defense this year. But stopping the run has been terrible this year.
What good is a pass rush if the other team only passes a half dozen times, and they run the ball down their throats?
I’m just frustrated.

This whole season kind of felt like 2009 to me. And now with the exit we had, I am kind of hoping this upcoming season is like 2010, but instead we get 1 seed and destroy teams like we did in 2011, but this time with a defense that murders teams.
Cheesey
Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

This whole season kind of felt like 2009 to me. And now with the exit we had, I am kind of hoping this upcoming season is like 2010, but instead we get 1 seed and destroy teams like we did in 2011, but this time with a defense that murders teams.

I know what you mean.
I just don’t see how they can make that big of a jump.
The 2009 defense had some really good players on it.
We don’t have a Collins or Woodson, or Raji on our roster. Even Matthews was excellent at that time.
How can our huge holes be filled this off season?
Gute better shop and buy some A+ talent on defense. And HOPE that our WRs can make a HUGE leap next year.
Zero2Cool

I know what you mean.
I just don’t see how they can make that big of a jump.
The 2009 defense had some really good players on it.
We don’t have a Collins or Woodson, or Raji on our roster. Even Matthews was excellent at that time.
Gute better shop and buy some A+ talent on defense. And HOPE that our WRs can make a HUGE leap next year.

I would have to disagree here.

Nick Collins
I feel Savage is pretty damn good, no not Nick Collins great, but pretty damn good. I couldn't help notice he was someone who was consistently making tackles and hitting hard last night.

Charles Woodson
Jaire Alexander is pretty good and should take a healthy jump. The skill is there, but he is not the LEADER that Woodson was.

BJ Raji
I'll take Kenny Clark over BJ Raji every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

If our offense would have held ground, we could have made the 49ers pass more than 8 times and that's how you beat the 49ers. If we get two starters in this upcoming draft and some depth plugged in via free agents, we are going to impress people. I know it's hard to see it with how the 49ers smacked us around twice with the same approach; this team is closer than some are giving credit. And the team is is not down about this loss. Hell, Rodgers said the ending sucks, but he is excited because he's having fun again.

Remember, it's not how many times you fall down, it's whether you get back up. This team will get back up. Hell, this was Matt LaFleur's first year as a coach and he got 13 wins in the regular season which is the same we had the two seasons prior, combined.
Cheesey
I know what you are saying, Zero.
It’s just that these kinds of situations, where you are one game from making it too the super bowl, don’t come around that often. Who knows if it will happen next year, or again for many years?
If Rodgers play drops off even more, or he or Adams or Jones gets hurt, this may have been a last shot at a title for who knows how long?
You are still young. I’m getting closer to the end of the line. I was just hoping to see another big win from “my” team. I made the mistake of getting too much hope.
I’m just frustrated with how it ended.
I’ll have to cheer on the Milwaukee Bucks now! (I was already cheering for them, but had my sights mainly on a super bowl)
I’ll recover. It’s just going to take some time.
Zero2Cool

I know what you are saying, Zero.
It’s just that these kinds of situations, where you are one game from making it too the super bowl, don’t come around that often. Who knows if it will happen next year, or again for many years?
If Rodgers play drops off even more, or he or Adams or Jones gets hurt, this may have been a last shot at a title for who knows how long?
You are still young. I’m getting closer to the end of the line. I was just hoping to see another big win from “my” team. I made the mistake of getting too much hope.
I’m just frustrated with how it ended.
I’ll have to cheer on the Milwaukee Bucks now! (I was already cheering for them, but had my sights mainly on a super bowl)
I’ll recover. It’s just going to take some time.

I am confident you will get to watch the Green Bay Packers win another Super Bowl. I truly feel we are close. I don't know what it is, but I just feel it. I came into this season with low expectations assuming the coaching staff would lay down the foundation and get their feet underneath them. Year Two is where my expectations of winning a playoff game or two come in and if things bounce right, Super Bowl!

Update: Our QB is optimistic of the future.
 image.png You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Cheesey
The window may be open.....I just hope it doesn’t slam shut on Aaron Rodgers’ fingers!🤪
stevegb
Do you think the packers have a problem drafting good players or coaching/developing them?
RickLM
I really wanted to win this, and I hate that we gave Sherman that freebie INT at the end. Overall I'm optimistic. We over achieved and did a phenomenal job for a first year head coach. Disappointed in the defense. Especially Jaire. Not that it would have mattered, but a broke thumb? That keeps you out of the biggest game of the year? It kind of summed up the game. They were physical, we were soft. That and I think we bit on just about every fake. Defense was in their own heads.

And just for griping sake, the screen pass that gave them one of the final first downs and in range to put it back to 3 scores where Kittle and Jus-what-the-fuck-ever his name is were lined out wide to block.....how did you not think it was going there? Especially after the motion to that side?
RickLM
By the by, if I couldn't stand Sherman even more; did anyone else notice that when he tried to jump the route and got beat on that 64 yarder to Davante, he went for a horse collar tackle. He literally reached up to do it instead of going at Davante's lower body but missed. Davante could have been seriously injured because Sherman would have bent him backwards at a very severe angle had he not missed. We're talking torn ACL(s) or worse, and given how Davante makes his bread and butter on the field with his cuts and route running - it could have ruined his career.

Not to mention the thing he did with putting his legs up and out to try and trip Davante on the screen earlier in the game, that one isn't as egregious as the first; but man that guy makes my blood boil.
KRK
I have not seen dominating performances back to back by a team since the 85 Bears.

They beat the ever-loving tar out of us, because their lines are VASTLY superior to ours. We need to re-tool...

The most dominating performance to my eyes yesterday was Kittle. Think about how he, on many plays effectively blocked D and Z Smith mano-a-mano. To put into how remarkable his performance was, can you imagine Jimmy Graham regularly blocking Khalil Mack one-on-one for a majority of the game?

What you saw yesterday, my friends, is what a stud tight end looks like. A stud TE enables the balance of your OLine to decimate the interior of the defense AND he can he is a threat as a receiver....not a receiver who happens to block once in a while.

I hope Sternberger can develop into a very good tight end. Tonyan is a disappointment to me...he needs to grow a pair. Graham should be gone. If we are going to get another one, let's make sure we get a guy who can frigging block.
Zero2Cool
I wanted to throttle the piss out of the 49ers. All I could muster was three FG's and a Safety. I blitz'd like crazy daring Jimmy G to throw it and he pussed out!

gbguy20
I expected jaire to make a huge jump this year. He did not. I'm not going to expect him to make a jump next year, because he has already disappointed me enough already
Nonstopdrivel

Even Matthews was excellent at that time.

Careful now . . . you're just asking for a spanking from KRK.

I don't know—with huge black dicks maybe?

Sigh. I'll see myself to the door now.
Nonstopdrivel
Originally Posted by: RickLM 

.Not to mention the thing he did with putting his legs up and out to try and trip Davante on the screen earlier in the game, that one isn't as egregious as the first; but man that guy makes my blood boil.

To the contrary, I absolutely thought it was egregious. Watching him reach up with his cleats like that infuriated me. It was completely unnecessary. The play was over. There was no tactical or strategic reason to do it. Maybe it was purely instinct, but it sure looked like he was trying to take Adams out of the game. I think they should have thrown the flag for unnecessary roughness, but I don't know if there's a specific rule covering a move like that.