Discussion Board
Zero2Cool
Last year we used the 12th overall pick on Rashan Gary. With how good Preston Smith and Zadarius Smith are doing, I don't think Gary is gonna see the field much. We have an obvious weakness at ILB. Gary is really athletic, I wonder how he'd do in the middle of the field. Probably best to keep him at OLB though and spell the Smith's from time to time.

image.png You have insufficient rights to see the content.
 image.png You have insufficient rights to see the content.
gbguy20
I think he'd be a disaster in coverage.
go.pack.go.
Originally Posted by: gbguy20 

I think he'd be a disaster in coverage.

Agreed. I was actually hoping that we would try him there during the 49ers game though because they were running it down our throats. He’s a young player though and he’s probably never had reps at middle linebacker.
beast
I believe one of the coaches shocked me and said Gary could also be used as ILB, but I feel like that was just talk, otherwise why didn't you do it at all, all season with a huge need at ILB. Actions speaking louder than words for me there.

But Gary is very straight lined player, struggles to turn, that'd kill him in man coverage, and might in getting to and filling the hole... so I think he's a horrible fit at ILB.

I much much rather put Z., P. and G. all on the field at once... via putting Z. or G. at DT next to Clark like they did with Z. this season... or P. at ILB, as he'd be the best in coverage.

Of course, I think it's simply Gary wasn't ready, as Fackrell kept getting the call over Gary.
Zero2Cool
Listening to the press conference today, I am convinced someone from the media steals our goofball ideas! Why? Because someone asked LaFleur if there's been any discussion about moving Gary inside lol

LaFleur said Gary's core position and best suited at OLB.

https://www.packers.com/...excited-about-our-future 
gbguy20
I don't expect fackrell to be resigned so we should see a nice uptick in snaps for Gary.
warhawk
Gary couldn't have done anything to change that game when he has no idea how to play ILB. I'm sorry because I hate to dog coaches but I put a lot of this on Pettine. I know he has a history of not being as concerned with run D but after a quarter into that game he should have had a belly full of concern. Where were the adjustments? We did not set the edge well on either side so SF is running right, running left, running up the middle and nobody is touching the RB until he's 5+ yards down field. Mostert ended up with 142 yards before he was ever touched. This was touch football without even a touch.
Maybe Gary could have helped in this regard. If the Smith's weren't going to set the edge put him in there and give him a chance to do it. Preston Smith did not play well in this game at all.
Pettine could have tried something. Light a fire under their ass somehow. He had nothin'. You want the definition of being out coached? Just let a team do one thing the entire game and do nothing to stop it.
KRK
Thoughts:
  • Like Warhawk, I was disappointed that we didn't run blitz early and often when we were getting our asses kicked on the defensive line.
  • Gary is a bust....if you are a first round draft pick who sees almost no reps when Z Smith was slid inside, you suck. That doesn't make him a bad guy, he just isn't good.
  • If you suck at your best position, you are likely going to suck at ILB
  • Lowry and Lancaster got the shit kicked out them....that is not Pettine's fault.
  • Not adjusting to it IS his fault.
Zero2Cool
Originally Posted by: KRK 

Thoughts:

• Like Warhawk, I was disappointed that we didn't run blitz early and often when we were getting our asses kicked on the defensive line.
  • Gary is a bust....if you are a first round draft pick who sees almost no reps when Z Smith was slid inside, you suck. That doesn't make him a bad guy, he just isn't good.
  • If you suck at your best position, you are likely going to suck at ILB
  • Lowry and Lancaster got the shit kicked out them....that is not Pettine's fault.
  • Not adjusting to it IS his fault.

Calling someone a bust after one year is... A busted opinion.
KRK
He's a bust
beast
Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Calling someone a bust after one year is... A busted opinion.

Come on now Zero, if you don't get so many snaps as a 1st round rookie, then your just hot garbage bust, just ask Aaron Rodgers, totally a waste of 1st round pick, he did even play much his second or third year, what trash was he!

Could have has plug and players like OG Logan Mankins, but we had to go for less vaule and select a development player, Thompson was such an idiot, selecting a guy with high potential but clearly needed develop time....

Thompson next player wasn't much better, Nick Collins, he got on the feild and he struggled and by year 3 fans were demanding for him to bench for Rouse, because Rouse could catch INTs, but Collins couldn't (even though Rouse gave up a TD for every INT he caught)

And likewise Gute followed with Savage....

These guys have no idea what they're doing.... if they're not an all pro rookie, they suck!
KRK
German Philosopher Arthur Schopenhauer (1788 – 1860) famously observed that “all truth passes through three stages: first, it is ridiculed; second, it is violently opposed; and third, it is accepted as self-evident.”
beast
So does a lot of other bullshit....look at the flat earth crap.... ridiculed; violently opposed; and more in recent years accepted as self-evident.”

Same with Alex Jones and million of other conspiracy theories.... and both sides of politics...

So that doesn't mean it's truth at all, as it equally be a piece of crap...
gbguy20
I feel like you dang near just said the earth is flat.
Zero2Cool
Originally Posted by: beast 

Come on now Zero, if you don't get so many snaps as a 1st round rookie, then your just hot garbage bust, just ask Aaron Rodgers, totally a waste of 1st round pick, he did even play much his second or third year, what trash was he!

Could have has plug and players like OG Logan Mankins, but we had to go for less vaule and select a development player, Thompson was such an idiot, selecting a guy with high potential but clearly needed develop time....

Thompson next player wasn't much better, Nick Collins, he got on the feild and he struggled and by year 3 fans were demanding for him to bench for Rouse, because Rouse could catch INTs, but Collins couldn't (even though Rouse gave up a TD for every INT he caught)

And likewise Gute followed with Savage....

These guys have no idea what they're doing.... if they're not an all pro rookie, they suck!

It's all about expectations. People who think draft picks are supposed to be rock stars as rookies simply do not understand what the draft is about. These kids need to be developed at the professional level. Hell, Patrick Mahomes didn't do shit his rookie year and I don't remember anyone calling him a bust.

KRK
I think he would suck at ILB, but what about putting on 20 more pound and try him inside?
Zero2Cool

I think he would suck at ILB, but what about putting on 20 more pound and try him inside?

I agree, he probably would not succeed at ILB. Tacking on 20lbs of muscle and playing inside would be interesting. Is he good with his hands?
go.pack.go.

He's a bust

I wouldn’t say he’s a bust yet. As of right now, I would call it a stupid draft pick though. Added two players at the same position in free agency already, why draft that position with such a high pick?
warhawk
Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

I agree, he probably would not succeed at ILB. Tacking on 20lbs of muscle and playing inside would be interesting. Is he good with his hands?

I think they have to give him another year at the position he was drafted to play since it was accepted that he would need time to develop. The only thing that makes any sense about this pick is after shedding Clay and Nick and bringing in the Smith's is allowed Gary some time to develop. The mystery of this pick is they really didn't need Gary or to gamble at that position at all. Gute made the moves that could have allowed them to get a developmental player later in the draft.

I'm not sure Gary is even all that bad considering he was playing behind guys who were having career years. Did he not play more because he was such a liability or because your going to play the best players most of the time? It's not like the position Sternberger was in who got more and more PT and got better and better. After all, TE was opposite on the scale of productivity vs OLB throughout the year allowing a bit more opportunity for him. He, in fact, is my year 2 player candidate that makes the biggest leap.
Gary is going to have to claw and scratch his way to more playing time and that's not a bad thing and I'm not ready to say he's not up to it just yet. As mentioned in other posts guys like Collins, Arod, and Adams, took time to realize and meet their potential. What attributes do they all have in common? They were all naturally gifted athletes that just kept working until their time came. Gary is as naturally gifted as they come. From all accounts Gary is not afraid to work so lets just give this a little more time before kicking the guy to the curb.

gbguy20
The last 2 posts in this thread are spot on.
wpr
Originally Posted by: warhawk 

I think they have to give him another year at the position he was drafted to play since it was accepted that he would need time to develop. The only thing that makes any sense about this pick is after shedding Clay and Nick and bringing in the Smith's is allowed Gary some time to develop. The mystery of this pick is they really didn't need Gary or to gamble at that position at all. Gute made the moves that could have allowed them to get a developmental player later in the draft.

I'm not sure Gary is even all that bad considering he was playing behind guys who were having career years. Did he not play more because he was such a liability or because your going to play the best players most of the time? It's not like the position Sternberger was in who got more and more PT and got better and better. After all, TE was opposite on the scale of productivity vs OLB throughout the year allowing a bit more opportunity for him. He, in fact, is my year 2 player candidate that makes the biggest leap.
Gary is going to have to claw and scratch his way to more playing time and that's not a bad thing and I'm not ready to say he's not up to it just yet. As mentioned in other posts guys like Collins, Arod, and Adams, took time to realize and meet their potential. What attributes do they all have in common? They were all naturally gifted athletes that just kept working until their time came. Gary is as naturally gifted as they come. From all accounts Gary is not afraid to work so lets just give this a little more time before kicking the guy to the curb.

Agreed.

It's a classic case of taking TBPA. After taking the Smiths in FA, they didn't have a critical need to take Gary but on Gute's board he was the best player so he took him irregardless of need.

In addition, nobody but nobody expected the results from BOTH Smiths. He was a bit of an insurance policy. If one of the Smiths fell flat Gary would have been called upon to play more. If that had happened his numbers would have been better. There was the thought that if the Smiths didn't work out, Gute wouldn't have to keep them both for the entire 4 years and that means Gary would be ready in year 2 or 3 to step into the starting position.