Smokey
  • Smokey
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
3 years ago
At this point in time, the next starting Defensive lineup looks like this.

DE - Dean Lowry
NT - Kenny Clark
DE - Tyler Lancaster
LOLB - Preston Smith
LILB - Oren Burks
RILB - Christian Kirksey
ROLB - ZaDarius Smith
LCB - Jaire Alexander
SS - Darnell Savage
FS - Adrian Amos
RCB - Kevin King

Blake Martinez is gone, but Christian Kirksey has arrived. GB may field the best Secondary in the NFL in 2020. Stopping the run will certainly get greater attention, and with 3 months before the season begins, anything from trades to injuries to FA acquisitions to players simply being dropped is possible. Backups might step up and replace starters.

DC Mike Pettine and rest of the entire world knows how the 49ers ran the football against the Packers in the NFC Championship game. He has acknowledged the defensive failure and has said that stopping the run better will be addressed. IMO, it's never fair to place an otherwise great seasons work against a single game. SF did their homework for GB and they won as a result of it. The Packers added an ILB, a Safety, and a DE in the recent 2020 NFL Draft. Good team depth is not a media story, but does pay dividends down the road.

Playing experience too is important. Most of last seasons defensive starters are expected to return in 2020. The value of their experience working together can't be assessed. In addition, Kirksey played for Pettine in Cleveland and will already know his defensive system.

i see GB's Defense being as good or better than 2019. Perhaps more focused on stopping the run as the Secondary delivers solid play. Sacks could go up a little if Rashan Gary is utilized as an inside blitzer on plays where passing is nearly certain.

UserPostedImage
beast
3 years ago
Starts with my normal pet peeve of how "When the NFL uses 4-3/3-4 depth charts currently, they're actually lying to us" rant... in reality every team is basically a 4-2-5 at this point. (Made it a spoiler, for those that are tired of reading it and don't want to see it explained again)

The NFL purposely simplifies the game, to allow more casual fans follow along (in general, I have absolutely no problem with this, it allowed me to catch along as I grew as a fan, even though no one else in my family really gives a darn about sports (except my Grandfather, who loved his Philly teams, though I wasn't around him that often, and he loved Baseball).

But I do have a problem when the NFL OVER simplifies the games, to the point where I consider it lying... look at all the 32 defensive depth charts... they're all either a 3-4 or 4-3 defense with 4 starting DBs... IMO, that's a lie! Because when you watch the teams play, they play much more often with 5 DBs on the field than 7 up front.... and all 32 teams are basically different versions of the 4-2-5 defense now.

If you count the snap counts, the Packers defense played 1040 snaps last year... in which if you count the snaps by position that's
DL 2185
OLB 2401
ILB 1335
S 2423
CB 3097

Which is divide those by the 1040 snaps (rounded to the nearest tenths), on average there are
2.1 DL
2.3 OLB
1.3 ILB
2.3 S
3.0 CB on the field at the same time.

This means the Packers had, on average 5.7 front players and 5.3 DBs on the field at the same time. In other words... the Packers were more likely to have only 5 defensive front players, than 7 of them... and FYI, this is NOT just the Packers, this is a general trend for the entire NFL. So the NFL 7 man front starting depth list to me is a lie by the NFL.

Beast's guess at how they actually play
OLB - ZaDarius Smith
DT - Kenny Clark
NT - Dean Lowry/Tyler Lancaster (Z. Smith/Gary/Keke on 3rd downs)
LOLB - Preston Smith/Rashan Gary

ILB - Christian Kirksey
ILB - Raven Greene / Oren Burks

LCB - Jaire Alexander
SS - Adrian Amos
FS - Darnell Savage
RCB - Kevin King
Nickel - Chandon Sullivan/ Josh Jackson

Packers CBs are a major huge question mark outside of Alexander... King at times was great, at other times he was absolutely horrible, but always inconsistent (both good and bad).

Last year the Packers surprised me and ran a TON of zone coverage, and I'd love to hear Pettine explain why (at least behind the senses real reason), as I'm pretty sure on average, the Packers DB would do better in man coverage than zone coverage... but there are potentially some very good reasons as to why you might do it... such as you don't trust your CBs (outside of Alexander) to hold up in zone coverage, as you can't help them out nearly as much in man. To give the pass rush extra time to get there, as with zone it can talk a bit extra time for a receiver or young QB to find the hole, and we did play against some non-veteran QBs... and zone allows the play caller to play mental games with the QBs, which Pettine usually one especially since we faced a lot of non-veteran QBs.

IF the Packers stay healthy, I expect the defense to be better.... DESPITE having much worse results.
That's right, I think they'll be better... but have a lot worse results. How is this possible? ... I expect the 2020 Packers opponents offenses will be a hell lot better than the 2019 Packers opponents offenses... where the 2020 Packers opponents will give hell to our defenses at times, but the 2019 Packers defense would have fared even worse if it was them.

Why do I think this? In theory, the 2020 opponents QB play should be a hell lot better.

2019 opposing QBs: Had 5 games against guys that started as back-ups... and that's not counting Joe Flacco (with a horrible OL in front of him) and 2 games against the struggling Mitch Trubisky, both of whom, people think will be back-ups this year... so that's 8 games against guys that started as back-ups last year, or might be back-ups this year... and the Packers almost lost a couple of those games despite the horrible QB play from the other team.

Also, the three best QBs, Rivers, Wentz, and Stafford gave us hell...

Rivers
Wentz
Stafford ( once)
Prescott
Carr
Cousins (x2)
Garoppolo
Moore (Chiefs back-up QB)
Trubisky (x2)
Flacco (behind a horrible OL)
Allen (then Panthers back-up QB)
Haskins (Redskins back-up rookie)
Jones (Giants back-up rookie)
Blough (Lions 3rd string QB)

2020 opposing QBs: Oh look, we get to face the three best opposing QBs from last year in Rivers, Wentz, and Stafford again...and they might not even be in the top 4 opposing QBs this year!

Brady
Brees
Ryan
Watson
Rivers
Wentz
Stafford (x2)
Bridgewater
Garoppolo
Cousins (x2)
Foles or Trubisky (x2)
Tannehill
Minshew

My prediction is that unless the Packers can dominant an opposing teams OL, the Packers' defense is in for a very rough year, with tons of fans bitching and desire to fire Pettine, BS recalling of the 49ers playoff game for no smart reason, false BS claims that Shanahan/49ers gave the NFL the blue print for beating the Packers defense.

The reality is that the Packers had a surprisingly weak schedule last year (the 6th easiest I believe it was, and the easiest of any team outside the NFC East and the AFC East) and they absolutely did their job of making the absolute most of it, especially on defense... but this year, the Packers look like they're going to be facing a ton of talent veteran QBs and it might be tough to make the playoffs.

Honestly, the Packers defense might be relying on the Packers offense to give them long drives and control the clock, so they can get some breathers (something the Packers offense struggled with last year, hurting the defense a bit, but hopefully that could be the biggest positive change for the Packers defense, meaning they won't get worn out late in games as often... though much better opposing QB play, will probably be the key factor)

UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
3 years ago
I'm blindly optimistic about Kirskey (sp?). If he's healthy, it might be a helluva signing.
UserPostedImage
Smokey
  • Smokey
3 years ago
The 2019 regular season showed what the Pettine "defense" could do. Weak schedules, weak QBs, stronger offensive lines, and the list has no end. Dirty or clean, a win is a win!

Pettine has and will use last seasons ups and downs to learn how to get the GB Defense to improve, but he has already moved on toward looking just at the 2020 season. He has the list of needs and will be looking forward for the most part. Division teams will get a review as well as teams they will see again in 2020.

I'm big fan of stopping runners at the line rather than requiring LB/Safety tackling. I miss Gilbert Brown and others that showed the entire league how to play the D-line. I'm encouraged that most of last years defensive starters will be returning. Their team experience will serve GB well in the new season.

I am curious as to who, with the departure of Blake Martinez, who will be the defensive signal caller. On many teams it's usually an ILB or a Safety that calls the "radioed in" defense and then must make adjustments as required. Kirksey is new to GB, but has experience playing for Pettine. Burks, for me, is an unknown with little playing experience. Is Amos the leader or is Savage a natural leader?

As it currently seems to me, many teams 3 interior offensive linemen generally do combat with the 3 opposing interior defensive linemen. The offensive tackles are left to protect the QBs flanks. In addition, a RB/FB/or TE sometimes see blocking duty picking up a blitzing LB/Safety/or CB. Yes CB blitzes are rare, but the do still happen sometimes. Pulling linemen on running plays test the quick reactions of the LB/Safeties. These outside run/screens often jam up slower linemen as the play develops to the left or the right of the line. The 4 LB and 3 down linemen, IMO, serve to deal better with the more pass orientated offenses. SF took advantage of this tendency to beat the Packers with a more run targeted attack in the NFC Championship game. GB failed to adjust to SF's strategy and paid the price. I don't look for a repeat of this in the future.

GB has a long history of having to deal with great runners. From Barry Sanders to Adrian Peterson to Walter Patton on a regular basis to Eric Dickerson and others each season, the Packers have shut down running attacks in the past and will see marked improvement in that area in 2020. I don't believe any one game is a fair test of a coach or a defense. Pettine has taken responsibility for his defense and while long runs can't be 100% eliminated, better containment/tackling will be a new priority tn 2020.
UserPostedImage
KRK
  • KRK
  • Veteran Member
3 years ago
Beast wrote an excellent analysis on the defense and outlook for next year. I take issue with only one of the assertions

((krk words here)...fans bitching) and )BS recalling of the 49ers playoff game for no smart reason, false BS claims that Shanahan/49ers gave the NFL the blue print for beating the Packers defense.

Originally Posted by: beast 

I am not sure why recalling the 49er games, in conjunction with the ass whooping by teams with strong Offensive Lines is BS. Aren't those relevant? Pettine sure thought so in his interview.

Perhaps I misinterpreted this point. I.e., the fans bitching aspect was targeted at the larger point of the post suggesting that the defense might be better albeit with worse statistical results.

The reality is that the Packers had a surprisingly weak schedule last year (the 6th easiest I believe it was, and the easiest of any team outside the NFC East and the AFC East) and they absolutely did their job of making the absolute most of it, especially on defense... but this year, the Packers look like they're going to be facing a ton of talent veteran QBs and it might be tough to make the playoffs.

Great point

Honestly, the Packers defense might be relying on the Packers offense to give them long drives and control the clock, so they can get some breathers (something the Packers offense struggled with last year, hurting the defense a bit, but hopefully that could be the biggest positive change for the Packers defense, meaning they won't get worn out late in games as often... though much better opposing QB play, will probably be the key factor)

Fantastic point. Hopefully the second year in the system for all parties, as well as development of an improved running game will help keep the defense fresh.

In Luce tua Videmus Lucem KRK
beast
3 years ago

Beast wrote an excellent analysis on the defense and outlook for next year. I take issue with only one of the assertionsI am not sure why recalling the 49er games, in conjunction with the ass whooping by teams with strong Offensive Lines is BS. Aren't those relevant? Pettine sure thought so in his interview.

Originally Posted by: KRK 

That sounds like it would be both relevant and a great point, as the Packers lost only three games against NFC teams, all with very good OL play, as the Packers defensive strength was their front guys, if teams could handle them, then they were much more likely to handle our defense as a whole, and that most likely will continue to be true in 2020.

My original assertion was about fans being upset with defense and bringing up false connections. The connection in which you are bringing up, of strong OL, certainly is not false.

But as soon as the defense struggles, especially if against the run, I'm expecting the 49ers game to be brought up... even if it has nothing to do with the 49ers or a strong OL.

Fantastic point. Hopefully the second year in the system for all parties, as well as development of an improved running game will help keep the defense fresh.

Originally Posted by: KRK 

Yes and while I didn't love the draft live, the pieces certainly look like they fix this offensive scheme, so LaFleur might have all the pieces he needs to run it properly... though they might not be ready to go right away, but hopefully by mid to late season we'll be hitting on all cylinders.

UserPostedImage
Smokey
  • Smokey
3 years ago
I agree that a bold and successful running attack also affords the defense a proper period of rest. Additionally, it can provide the defensive coaches a better opportunity to improvise any needed adjustments before the "D" must return to the field.

Returning to the original focus of this thread, I believe that better tackling will be a high Packer priority in the 2020 Training Camp. More will be asked of Lowery/Clark/and Lancaster. Their TC will I suspect focus on shedding offensive blocks so they can better stop running plays cold at the line of scrimmage. This focus can also aid in more aggressive pass rushing too. The increased attention to better tackling should additionally, IMO, inspire better tackling from the rest of the defense and the Special Teams as well.

Oh yes, how often we overlook that Special Teams are partly defensive as well. Better tackling can't help but reduce opposition return yardage and possibly produce a few more turnovers. ST's players tend to change from season to season, but mostly they are made up a collection of RBs, TEs, LBs, Ss, CBs and WRs. Any views on the 2019 GB STs or a look ahead will make for interesting reading. Who was GB gunner last season and who might fill that position in 2020?
UserPostedImage
beast
3 years ago
Smokey your writing is professional writers level quality, seriously I'm a bit jealous, as my writing quality sucks.

More will be asked of Lowery/Clark/and Lancaster.

Originally Posted by: Smokey 

I honestly don't think you can ask that much out of them,

Clark is an underated absolute beast (no pun intended) that plays a shockingly high percentage of snaps for a DT (83.5%+ with an injury during the season), any team simply can't get that much more out of a player ...

While Lowry and Lancaster are good but clearly physical limited. Lancaster is basically maxed out his potential, though he could improve consistence, and Lowry has a little more potential, but he hasn't grown/improved in a while, so it's doubtful he'll get much more out, but consistency could improve.

They'll need Adams and Keke to step up, (which honestly I'm doubting Adams at this point... this is a make or break year for him, and that was before his arrest... he had a lot more potential, it might of been wasted). Keke is slippery, he's an odd mixture, but heck it worked for him...he didn't do much last year, but most rookie DTs don't have much success even when drafted very high.

Plus maybe Gary so that either Gary or Z. Smith can drop in at interior rusher from time to time.

Their TC will I suspect focus on shedding offensive blocks so they can better stop running plays cold at the line of scrimmage. This focus can also aid in more aggressive pass rushing too.

Originally Posted by: Smokey 

For DL, if any and all TC aren't focused on shedding the OL the coaches need to be fired.

And this scheme is largely about aggressive pass rushing as it is.... which is partly why the run defense is so bad. Pettine prioritises stopping opposing passing attacks first, which helps in pass rushing and hurts in run stopping, so the Data can't stop the run, only limited it as they're fighting the other team and their own scheme with stopping the run.

Also Kyle Shanahan said he targeted the edge rushers in the running game, not the DTs.... so this isn't just about the DTs.

I'm very interested in seeing if Pettine has scheme changes, such as more man coverage to free up a Safety or new methods to stop the run. I promise you, fans would absolutely fall in love with Savage flying down to help the run. Absolutely LOVE!

Also note from early, Petite would use 3 DL against teams that were huge running teams, such as Cowboys and 49ers but usually it was just 2 interior guys. But going back to view some of the 49ers game lowlights, it looked like the Packers even tried a 5-1 /5-2 against the 49ers and they still ran it against our edges. Not too much you can do there, other than bench one of the Smith and see if Gary is better against the run, or put a DL on the edge (which they also did with Lowry out there some too).

Pettine knows what he's doing extremely well scheme wise, but might need better execution... and you can't guard against everything, it's pick your poison at times.
UserPostedImage
Smokey
  • Smokey
3 years ago
Even seasoned veterans will tell you that they are open to getting better. From head-fakes, to footwork, to hand placement, defensive linemen are always looking for an edge and so are their coaches. I believe that,"there is always room for improvement".

As for individual players, sometimes they work as a unit rather than as separate entities. Opening wholes for blitzes, or sealing holes on running plays a practiced approach is the ticket. The challenge is what to do should one of the three d-linemen must be relived? Gutekunst has and that is why he's not so bothered with the "i'd have done it different crowd".

I'll be closely observing the ILB positions. With Martinez gone, who will be calling the radioed in defenses and make adjustments as needed?
UserPostedImage
beast
3 years ago
Everyone is open to getting better, in fact I'm still hoping my NFL career takes off... but there is also reality that you can only expect so much based on what they got to work with.

When anyone needed relived, you out the next guys up in .... simple.

If healthy, Christian Kirksey will be on the radio head set, because why not? The ILB normally does it, while he's new to the team, he's not new to the scheme, and his former teammates have great things to say about his leadership, unless he hates it or some ILBer out plays him, then it's him.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (9h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (16h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (17h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (17h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (21h) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (23h) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (23h) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (23h) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (23h) : Against tbd
dfosterf (23h) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (23h) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (23h) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (23h) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (23h) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (23h) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
dfosterf (25-Mar) : A major foul will be enforced on the offense if there are offsetting penalties in a change of possession situation
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Teams will receive a 3rd challenge if 1 was successful. Previously, it took 2
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

21h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.