Discussion Board
beast
  • beast
  • Select Member Topic Starter
2020-07-06T00:30:42Z
After a number of investing groups banned together to put pressure on the Washington Redskins and their sponsors to change their name, one of their main sponsors, FedEx (FedEx Field is where the team plays and FedEx founder/owner is a minority owner of the Redskins), asked the Redskins to change their name.

While reports suggest Dan Snyder is still resisting as he REALLY doesn't want any change, it sounds like Dan Snyder MIGHT be begrudgingly listening and at least RUMOR has it, the team MIGHT have a new nickname before the start of the regular season. Though reports also sound like Dan Snyder has been out of country for a good while, and no one is exactly sure who's actually leading things right now (yup sounds like a Dan Snyder team), since Snyder has been away and they fired Bruce Allen. It sounds like head coach Ron Rivera is running a number of things, including non-football related activities, but might not have the full power to sign off on some of these bigger moves.

Also, another rumor suggests that Snyder might be stubborn enough that MIGHT sell the company before changing the name, which I promise you, fans of the team are praying for, because there team has basically completed sucked with him as owner, they've wanting him to sell for more than a decade and a half, at the very least.

But one team comment made it sound like, even IF they do change their name, they want it to represent Native Americans and/or the Military

The two names that keep popping up the most seem to be

Washington Warriors, which Dan Snyder did trademark back 2010ish, as he was hoping to use it for an AFL team, but he never used it and someone else has attempted to trade mark it in 2015ish, which people suggest Snyder will want exclusive rights to any name they use.

Washington Red Tails for the Tuskegee Airmen that were a group of African-American and Caribbean-born military pilots (fighter and bomber) who fought in World War II. Also some have linked it to red tailed hawks, so they can keep the fetters and use a hawk as mascot.
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
2020-07-06T01:54:21Z
Washington Bullets 😂

I used to care not any more. If a few people find words offensive then tear them up.

As I said a few years ago, Cleveland Indians, Chicago Blackhawks and Atlanta Brave are next.
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
2020-07-06T02:00:16Z
Here's a little more from ESPN 

Quote:

The three minority owners of the Washington Redskins are seeking to sell their shares in the team because they are "not happy being a partner" with owner Daniel Snyder, The Washington Post has reported, citing sources familiar with the deliberations.

Prominent businessmen Robert Rothman, Dwight Schar and Frederick W. Smith, who combined own about 40% of the team, have hired an investment banking firm to undergo a search for possible buyers, one of the sources told The Post.

Pro Football Talk first reported Schar and Smith were trying to sell their stakes in the team.

The development comes as the team appears increasingly likely to change its name amid renewed pressure, given the national focus on human rights and social justice after the death of George Floyd in Minnesota.

Coach Ron Rivera told The Post on Saturday he has been working with Snyder on a new team nickname in recent weeks. And the team announced Friday it would "undergo a thorough review" of the nickname.

beast
  • beast
2020-07-06T02:28:51Z
Originally Posted by: wpr 

Washington Bullets 😂

I used to care not any more. If a few people find words offensive then tear them up.

As I said a few years ago, Cleveland Indians, Chicago Blackhawks and Atlanta Brave are next.

Yeah the lady that was leading the lawsuit against the Redskins to get rid of their trademark for the Redskins name, publicly once said, after they defeat the Redskins, the Cleveland Indians are next, followed by the Kansas City Chiefs (at least their fans use/sale of spiritual headdresses). I was surprised she didn't mention the Atlanta Braves, but maybe that slipped her mind.

Random Trivia Question

They're now known as the Washington Wizards, but what was the Washington Bullets original team name?

Seriously, guess before you look at the spoiler, you won't get it.... or will you 🤨
Zero2Cool
2020-07-06T02:29:35Z
What a piss shit title. It's Washington Redskins might get a new name.

Washington Pinkhawks should be the winner.
Zero2Cool
2020-07-06T02:31:41Z

Washington Bullets 😂

Should just rename everyone of them. Team 1 Team 2. Then no bored pieces of shit can find something to be offended over. And we can focus on real problems. Like starving children. Homeless. You know, important things that aren't sexy for social media bitch face fucks.
beast
  • beast
2020-07-06T02:33:48Z
Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

What a piss shit title. It's Washington Redskins might get a new name.

Washington Pinkhawks should be the winner.

As you wish, you royal pain in the ass 😉 JK

Though, if you creating the thread, you wouldn't have to complain what others named it 😛
Cheesey
2020-07-06T03:00:49Z
“Political correctness” wins again.
I heard that Flipper complained about the “Miami Dolphins” name. So it’s going to be changed to the “Miami Fishsticks”.
Yogi Bear complained about the “Chicago Bears”, so now they will be the “Chicago Boo Boos”.
The “New York Giants” will be now known as the “New York extra tall guys”.
😏🤪
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
2020-07-06T03:23:56Z
Originally Posted by: beast 

Yeah the lady that was leading the lawsuit against the Redskins to get rid of their trademark for the Redskins name, publicly once said, after they defeat the Redskins, the Cleveland Indians are next, followed by the Kansas City Chiefs (at least their fans use/sale of spiritual headdresses). I was surprised she didn't mention the Atlanta Braves, but maybe that slipped her mind.

Random Trivia Question

They're now known as the Washington Wizards, but what was the Washington Bullets original team name?

Seriously, guess before you look at the spoiler, you won't get it.... or will you 🤨

I knew they were the Baltimore Bullets but didn't realize they got tossed out of Chicago.
beast
  • beast
2020-07-06T03:34:18Z

I knew they were the Baltimore Bullets but didn't realize they got tossed out of Chicago.

Neither did I, but considering the nickname they first choose, I think you can understand Chicago might not be too pleased lol... during the 60s too lol
Cheesey
2020-07-06T04:40:52Z
Bullets........Chicago........it fits!
Smokey
2020-07-07T01:01:07Z
earthquake
2020-07-07T03:45:04Z
_
Cheesey
2020-07-07T06:39:06Z
Originally Posted by: Smokey 

Washington Warriors

I like the “warriors” nickname. But there STILL would be someone that would be “offended” by it.
Marquette University was “the warriors”, and they changed the name to “the golden eagles” so they wouldn’t offend anyone.
It seems to me people go out of the way to be offended by anything they can. To me, a warrior is an honorable thing to be. The “nickname police” are all over the place today.
If the team owner ( I wonder when the thought police will go after THAT term) can change the name if he wants to. I don’t have a horse in this race, so I really don’t care either way.
Zero2Cool
2020-07-07T12:11:33Z

As you wish, you royal pain in the ass 😉 JK

Though, if you creating the thread, you wouldn't have to complain what others named it 😛

I prefer you folks making topics and posts. When you see me create topics, and posts in abundance, that means I feel you all slacking off. 😜

Back on topic since I foolishly derailed a post or two here.

Prior to all this a few years ago, I never knew Redskins meant something foul. I thought it meant warrior or something on those lines. As they say, ignorance is bliss.

I believe most teams could have a syndicate that would find offense to their name or names lineage. My question is, where does it stop? What's the end? What is the purpose? Do we not have larger issues at hand to tend with? I feel strongly that we do.

Originally, I believe they were called the Braves. George Marshall changed the name from Braves to Redskins so he could keep the Native American monikers (that's from wiki).

While Marshall was in favor of segregation, I'm not entirely convinced he chose to name his professional football organization racial slur. At least, not knowingly. The guy was known to be frugal as hell. If that's all true, why would you name your franchise after a racial slur? It doesn't make sense to me, but just because it doesn't make sense to me doesn't mean much.

Personally, if I was the owner and it became apparent the team name was a racial slur. I would have tried to make it a huge massive public relations win for me and my business.

Cheesey
2020-07-07T12:32:10Z
I was going to make the point that we have much more important things to worry about, but figured someone would blast me for saying it.
Where does it end? It doesn’t. Once the complainers get their way, they will find SOMETHING to attack. Like I said earlier, next will it be calling guys (or gals) “team owners”, like in slavery terms?
There are native Americans that want Mount Rushmore blown apart because of what happened to their ancestors while these men were alive. Should we destroy history, because of what was acceptable at the time these men were our nation’s leaders? Should we forget all the good they did?
I think killing unborn babies is murder. Yet some think it’s just okey dokey to do so. Will future generations agree with me, and try to destroy all references to it?
Some say the holocaust never happened. They keep some of the concentration camps and furnaces around so that no one forgets that it DID happen.
Tearing down statues doesn’t change what happened.
If a guy that owns a team WANTS to change the team name, he owns the team and in the end it’s his choice. I never saw the Indian head helmet logo as something negative. To me it looks regal. Same with the Atlanta (Milwaukee) Braves.
The Cleveland Indian......not so much.
beast
  • beast
2020-07-07T13:47:54Z
Originally Posted by: Cheesey 

I like the “warriors” nickname. But there STILL would be someone that would be “offended” by it.

Warriors is reportedly the front runner (which is what I assumed after the Redskins said they'd like something that honors both Indians and Military). But sounds like Dan Synder got the trademark in 2010 for an AFL team he was hoping to run, but then dropped it when that was no longer happening , and in 2014 someone else tried to pick it up, no word if he was successful. Synder will probably demand owning the trademark of anything he changes the name to.

But it might help get people to stop complaining if they also change their logo
Washington Warriors

I prefer you folks making topics and posts. When you see me create topics, and posts in abundance, that means I feel you all slacking off. 😜

Back on topic since I foolishly derailed a post or two here.

Yes it's all your fault 😜

Prior to all this a few years ago, I never knew Redskins meant something foul. I thought it meant warrior or something on those lines. As they say, ignorance is bliss.

I believe most teams could have a syndicate that would find offense to their name or names lineage. My question is, where does it stop? What's the end? What is the purpose? Do we not have larger issues at hand to tend with? I feel strongly that we do.

Originally, I believe they were called the Braves. George Marshall changed the name from Braves to Redskins so he could keep the Native American monikers (that's from wiki).

While Marshall was in favor of segregation, I'm not entirely convinced he chose to name his professional football organization racial slur. At least, not knowingly. The guy was known to be frugal as hell. If that's all true, why would you name your franchise after a racial slur? It doesn't make sense to me, but just because it doesn't make sense to me doesn't mean much.

Personally, if I was the owner and it became apparent the team name was a racial slur. I would have tried to make it a huge massive public relations win for me and my business.

I absolutely agree with the question of where does it stop, if it's just the Redskins, then change them now!

But the Indian leader of the last movement that took them to court or TM court or something, publicly stated it's Washington Redskins, Cleveland Indians and then Kansas City Chiefs (for their usage of the religious headdresses)... I'm surprised her left out Braves.

Also we got PETA trying to change the Packers name, after it was after meat packing company originally.

I absolutely don't think the owners of the team ever meant to be racist with the team name (even if they are racist), I believe they choose Boston Braves as they were playing in the same stadium as the then Boston Braves baseball team and because they were completely unoriginal. Then they wanted their own mascot, so they changed it to Redskins because they were completely unoriginal.

My understanding is the term Redskins, has become more used as a racial term in recent decades in the west area where Cities and Native Americans areas are close and bothering each other... the East knowns nothing of this as they basically have no Native American tribes area left.
Zero2Cool
2020-07-07T14:24:52Z

Warriors is reportedly the front runner (which is what I assumed after the Redskins said they'd like something that honors both Indians and Military).

I'm not sure I agree with this. I don't believe they are wanting a name that honors both Native Americans and Military, but are wanting the franchise to continue supporting both.

Maybe I'm arguing semantics here, but from what the Head Coach said, I'm not sure the name is aimed for one direction or another. I think they're going to continue supporting Native Americans and Military and will choose a new team name that they profit financially the most from. I don't think the name and the support are one in the same.
Smokey
2020-07-07T15:53:56Z
Warriors is an honorable name, Redskins is a racial slur.

Both names, Warriors and Redskins contain 8 letters. Switching names would not require a great deal of new graphics as the logo would not need to be changed.

You can't please all the people all of the time, but not completely scrapping the teams heritage in favor of a name change is a good compromise.
beast
  • beast
2020-07-07T16:18:13Z

I'm not sure I agree with this. I don't believe they are wanting a name that honors both Native Americans and Military, but are wanting the franchise to continue supporting both.

Yeah honors was probably the wrong word, but I guess I meant, since that comment, I've thought they would want a name that could mean Native American OR Military, and that could cover both and "Warriors" can.

If they get away from the Native Americans logo, I think they might not support Native Americans at all.

Originally Posted by: Smokey 

Warriors is an honorable name, Redskins is a racial slur.

Both names, Warriors and Redskins contain 8 letters. Switching names would not require a great deal of new graphics as the logo would not need to be changed.

You can't please all the people all of the time, but not completely scrapping the teams heritage in favor of a name change is a good compromise.

It'll be interesting if they get a new logo or not, as most seemed to assume they will be, but I assumed Dan Snyder would change the least amount possible.

Also interesting to see is how percentage of people are still upside if the logo stays and name changes.

Also depends on what invovlement is Dan Synder is taking, as it sounds like he's fairly disconnected from the team and has been overseas for a good long while and let Bruce Allen run things, until enough push back finally got Allen fired, based on rumors (which may or may not be true) sounds like there is a bit chaos, as other than Ron Rivera, there is a major lack of non-football leadership in the organization right now.
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
2020-07-07T20:46:30Z
If anyone still thought there was any chance whatsoever for Dan Snyder to hold out and keep the name, here's the coup de grâce. The name Redskins is gone. And it will be soon.

BBC 

Quote:

Major US retailers Walmart and Target have dropped American football team Washington Redskins' merchandise from their websites.
Last week, the Washington DC-based team said it would be reviewing its name following demands from sponsors.
It has faced years of pressure over a name seen as offensive to Native Americans.
The decision to review the name comes amid a fresh focus on racism, sparked by worldwide protests.
Walmart said on Twitter that it would be "discontinuing the sale of items that reference the team's name and logo".
Target told CNN in a statement that they were "in the process of removing the items from our assortment".