Discussion Board
beast
  • beast
  • Select Member Topic Starter
2020-09-19T16:15:38Z

The Packers and Bakhtiari were about $4 million per year apart on a deal before the season, according to a source familiar the negotiations. Bakhtiari is seeking to match or exceed the $22 million per year that Houston's Laremy Tunsil makes as the NFL's highest-paid tackle.

Damn the Texans! Their GM make an extremely important error, not locking up LT Tunsil new contract when they traded for him, and followed it up by extremely over paying market value for him... and now Bak wants to beat that.

Only two OTs in all of football is earning more than $16.5 million per year... (though they might be a number in the coming years about to break that).

We can't give everyone over market deals, we just can't... but can we afford to not resign Bak as well? We let Bulaga go, any RT looks like a mess, other than some fans suggesting the MAYBE Jenkins is the long term starter there, but that's speculation and that would open an LG hole.

We need to draft more OTs, DTs and CBs that's for damn sure...
nerdmann
2020-09-19T18:27:02Z
They might be thinking of Jenkins as the new LT. Younger, would save a shit ton of cap space, which is at a premium right now.

Just sayin.
Cheesey
2020-09-19T18:30:35Z
Originally Posted by: beast 

Damn the Texans! Their GM make an extremely important error, not locking up LT Tunsil new contract when they traded for him, and followed it up by extremely over paying market value for him... and now Bak wants to beat that.

Only two OTs in all of football is earning more than $16.5 million per year... (though they might be a number in the coming years about to break that).

We can't give everyone over market deals, we just can't... but can we afford to not resign Bak as well? We let Bulaga go, any RT looks like a mess, other than some fans suggesting the MAYBE Jenkins is the long term starter there, but that's speculation and that would open an LG hole.

We need to draft more OTs, DTs and CBs that's for damn sure...

These contracts are getting out of control.
At some point, you have to say NO.
I wish it was more like the 1960s, when guys played for the love of the game. They had to take jobs during the summer to make enough to get by.
Now they are multi millionaires trying to out do other multi millionaires.
yooperfan
2020-09-19T20:23:23Z
As much as I like Bhaktieri that’s simply too much money to shell out for him!
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
2020-09-19T20:33:40Z
What he would like to get and what he ultimately will settle for are two different numbers. I would like to get $22 mil a year too. I won't Bak won't either. Not even no the open market. Especially not with the cap shrinking next year. He will get around $18 a year. Still pretty elite money.
beast
  • beast
2020-09-19T22:16:29Z
I could be wrong, but I'd guess guys in the 1960s were trying to get as much money as they could too...

And Packers are in a tough spot, I don't think we can have questions at both OT spots. Jenkins might be able to solve one, but I'm thinking more RT than LT.

Bak probably can get top of the market deal from one of the teams with a lot of cap space, he is elite enough. Depends on how bullheaded he is about getting too of market price.

Of course, you could probably pay muliple other guys, but they wouldn't be nearly as good as Bak.
go.pack.go.
2020-09-19T23:30:19Z
Best left tackle in football deserves to be paid like it. He’s been pretty durable too.

I love Aaron Jones but he would be easier to replace than Bak.
beast
  • beast
2020-09-20T00:22:38Z
Originally Posted by: go.pack.go. 

Best left tackle in football deserves to be paid like it. He’s been pretty durable too.

I love Aaron Jones but he would be easier to replace than Bak.

Yes the best LT deserve to be paid like the best, but that implies that the 11th best OT doesn't get paid 33% more than any other current LT contract, because that was a bit ridiculous price hike, meaning he didn't deserve that mega contract, so not everyone gets what they deserve, some get more, some get less.
Zero2Cool
2020-09-20T14:48:50Z
I'd just like to point out that if the Packers and Rodgers took the contract I offered up as an option, both parties would be better off. Jus. Sayin!!

I could be wrong, but I'd guess guys in the 1960s were trying to get as much money as they could too...

And Packers are in a tough spot, I don't think we can have questions at both OT spots. Jenkins might be able to solve one, but I'm thinking more RT than LT.

Bak probably can get top of the market deal from one of the teams with a lot of cap space, he is elite enough. Depends on how bullheaded he is about getting too of market price.

Of course, you could probably pay muliple other guys, but they wouldn't be nearly as good as Bak.

Yes, the players have always tried to get as much as they could. Back then, there wasn't that big of a slice of pie to argue over. Football in the 60's was less of a career choice than a hobby. Players in today's game do charity work, commercials, etc during the off-season. Players in the 60's often went to work a summer job.

Bakhtiari shouldn't be paid Tunsil money by the Packers. I like him. I hate to lose him as a Packers fan. I just feel the salary cap is gonna take a dip and we're already bent over the barrel for our amazing QB.

2021 LT Cap Hits 
  1. Jake Matthews $20.2 million
  2. DJ Humphries $19.9 million
  3. Laremy Tunsil $19.4 million
  4. Nate Solder $16.4 million
  5. Terron Armstead $16.2 million

I don't know how we can Bakhtiari. Packers only have ~$6 million in salary cap space for 2021. We have over 30% of the cap used up in two guys. Za'Darius Smith and Aaron Rodgers.

I'm thinking we'll need to do something with some of these contracts to alleviate some of the cap space. I wouldn't expect any deal with Bakhtiari until we hear bout some of the contracts being restructured.
 image.png You have insufficient rights to see the content.
porky88
2020-09-20T22:13:38Z
The idea that guys in the '60s played for the love and not the money is just silly. Yes, you had those playing for love and you have those playing for love right now. They all (collectively) wanted to get paid. The market was very different back then. You didn't have TV deals on the scope they are now and the teams weren't generating the revenue then that they are now. We went through a football boom and it's been consistently growing since the 1990s. The cash is trickling down to the players. FYI, this is very much how the free market works. While the NFL doesn't always embrace this philosophy (e.g., revenue sharing), it certainly should reward its employees for continuously putting on product with a ton of demand. The idea is to see more cash flow to the employer, so he or she can reward his or her employees. We should not exempt professional sports from this methodology.

This brings me to Bakhtiari. Is 20M per year for a OLT a lot of money? Yes, if we compare it to the current market. Did the Texans over inflate the market? Yes, they absolutely did. Will 20M be lot of money for an OLT in 4 or 5 years? I think not. You look at the steady growth of contracts in the NFL, especially for OLTs, and it is trending upward. It may hit us for a year or two (as I do think revenue will dip due to the Pandemic), but the contract will look better and better as things return to normal and cap goes back up.

Additionally, this is the second most important position on the offense. When it comes to roster-building, teams want to throw the ball and stop the pass. This means QB, pass protection, pass rush, and pass defense. In that context, Aaron Rodgers, David Bakhtiarii, Za'Darius Smith, and Jaire Alexander are probably the most valuable Packers in terms of roster-building. I would not let any of them go at this time.
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
2020-09-21T00:19:02Z
I won't mind paying a premiere LT $20 in 4 or 5 years. In 2020 or 2021 not so much. I can't see paying Bak that much now because it will be ok some day. He will be retired in 4 or 5 years.

Actually I think the best OTs will get that kind of money in 2 or 3 years. With the defense moving pass rushers around the RTs are starting to get paid too.
beast
  • beast
2020-09-21T01:28:26Z
Yeah if OTs money jumps up to that level, in the next two years, then I might not mind, and it might, but I'm not sure about that. Also just to be clear, Bak wants more than Tunsil, not just $20 million, which the Packers might be willing to agree to.

Here is the current OL top per year contract amounts, stopping once I got the top 5 LTs
$22,000,000 LT Laremy Tunsil, Texans
$18,000,000 RT Lane Johnson, Eagles
$16,500,000 RT Trenton Brown, Raiders
$16,500,000 LT Anthony Castonzo, Colts
$16,000,000 LT Taylor Lewan, Titans
$15,500,000 LT Nate Solder, Giants
$15,030,000 RG Brandon Scherff, Redskins
$15,000,000 LT Taylor Decker, Lions

I might be willing to give Bak a $22 to $24 million per year contract, but it'd have to be at least a 6 year deal, that's easy for the team to get out of should something happen to Bak and/or potentially be able to trade it. Not something they'd get stuck with... and it'd help if it was back loaded.

But there are a couple, of guys that might potential break it in the next two years IF teams have the cash, but Packers are in the bottom 25% of most cap space available for the next two years... and the Eagles and Saints seem to be screwed, well past "cap hell" if they want to keep the talent on their team.

Fans want the GM to spend, spend, spend... but then sooner or later you have to let players go that you wanted to keep, to keep the balance. Such as based on current reports, the Packers rumors have little to nothing on resigning starters Linsley and King... and Linsley made some great blocks against the Lions.

Some of Packers FAs (this is including the UDFAs, some of which can become important)

2021: LT David Bakhtiari, RB Aaron Jones, OC Corey Linsley, CB Kevin King, TE Marcedes Lewis, OG Lane Taylor, RB Jamaal Williams, RB/WR Tyler Ervin

2022: WR Davante Adams, ILB Christian Kirksey, WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling, RT Ricky Wagner, OG Lucas Patrick, P JK Scott, LS Hunter Bradley, WR Equanimeous St. Brown, WR Devin Funchess, CB Josh Jackson, ILB Oren Burks

YOU CAN'T KEEP EVERYONE... Packers reportedly are trying to sign David Bakhtiari and Aaron Jones, and I wouldnt' be surprised to see TE Lewis, OG Taylor and return man Ervin back on cheap deals.

But they have to make sure they keep enough money available for WRs Adams, MVS and the punter.... and draft some OTs and CBs.
Zero2Cool
2020-09-23T13:35:18Z
Bakhtiari give the impression you can keep everyone.
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
2020-09-23T13:58:03Z
It's a very shortsighted and selfish perspective.

First it's not automatic. The guy(s) whose contracts are restructured have to agree. The most common way to agree is to give them even more money otherwise why would they bother? (Again a bit of selfishness here too but hey I am not saying it's wrong to be selfish. Everyone has to look out for themselves. After all, it is a business.)

Second pushing cap hits back and back and back eventually leads to cap hell at some point in time. Many teams have had to eventually release good players in order to relieve the cap issues.

Third while Green Bay has been willing to restructure contracts in the past they have been careful when where and with whom. It is not an automatic thing that any team can and will do so at any given time. Reworking a deal to sign a 25-26 year old player is more likely to happen than to rework a contract to sign a player to their third contract.

We shall see.

beast
  • beast
2020-09-23T14:46:51Z
First off, he's not wrong, it's just a dick thing to say out loud... and others clearly think not, but just haven't said it publicly.

And yeah it's a short sided and selfish attitude but they're in a short sided and selfish career as well. Which is what always amazes me, when you can have an amazing person off the field, be elite on the field, because you have to be a jackass on the field or you won't be elite... especially the more physical roles.

That being said, you're also saying screw my teammates and it's everyone for themselves... and that's what was cool about Tom Brady (who had a wife make more than any players has ever playing in the NFL) and now Patrick Mahomes, clearly leaving some on the table (because he knows he can get all the advertisement deals he wants).... where they put winning over.

Again he's not wrong, he's just saying I'm going to get mine, nothing else matters to me, screw the other tough options they might have to make.

And again, the biggest difference between him and a lot of others is that he has the balls to publicly admit it....

If Packers resign Bak and Jones like they're trying to do, that probably means goodbye to Linsley and King at the very least.

I hate that the Packers don't have another decent OT option... and we're basically going to be back at square one with CB other than Alexander, but WR Adams, WR MVS and CB Alexander will want to get paid in that not too distance future as well.

Also one could argue the Packers have made some questionable choices with cap, Jimmy Graham, Dean Lowry, Billy Turner, etc.

I still find it hard to believe, that after releasing Jordy Nelson, he got a low ball don't sign here offer and Nelson wanted to sign it anyways and Gute turned him away... I can complete understand everyone else, but Gute, you could of saved a ton of money and then released Cobb's $10 million which he never was earning... though Gute says he wanted Adams to become the focal point, and I guess he felt Rodgers and/or Mike McCarthy couldn't do that with Nelson here... but Nelson had amazing chemistry with Rodgers, especially in the red zone... of course the Packers failures in the red zone might of cost Mike McCarthy his job, and we might not of ever gotten LaFleur, but that wasn't planned when making the Nelson decision.

But anyways Packers are already in the bottom 25% of cap space over the next 3 years...

Only thing I see that might make that better is trading Rodgers, releasing/trading questionable lower contracts, and signing less big contracts.
Zero2Cool
2020-09-23T15:07:03Z

First off, he's not wrong,

Are you saying he's right? If so, why not just say he's right instead of saying he isn't wrong. Or is there a gray area between right and wrong on this?
beast
  • beast
2020-09-23T15:23:07Z
Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Are you saying he's right? If so, why not just say he's right instead of saying he isn't wrong. Or is there a gray area between right and wrong on this?

If you ignore the consequences or ramifications, or assume that their only goal is to resign those guys, instead of the goal to be put the best team together then he's completely right.

He's looking at the individual picture and applying it to the team builders, when the team builders might be applying it to a team picture instead.

wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
2020-09-23T21:26:04Z
The one thing we fans have going for us is his public comments are very hard line. In reality he may accept something slightly more team friendly. I don't mean a home team discount just that he's trying to get the most he can but understands a notch lower isn't bad either and perhaps his grandstanding helps him from getting an even lesser deal.