Discussion Board
KRK
  • KRK
  • Veteran Member
2020-08-28T21:26:29Z
Interesting
Quote:

Fauci on 'Highly Specific, Direct' Therapy for COVID-19
— Can monoclonal antibodies duplicate the success with Ebola in COVID-19?

by Molly Walker, Associate Editor, MedPage Today
August 28, 2020

"There's a lot of activity and it's a highly concentrated, highly specific, direct antiviral approach to a number of diseases. The success in Ebola was very encouraging," said National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID) Director Anthony Fauci, MD.

Most recently thrust into the spotlight as effective treatments for Ebola, monoclonal antibodies are currently being researched as a potential treatment for HIV, as well as COVID-19. This month, the NIH highlighted trials of monoclonal antibodies being conducted among several different COVID-19 patient populations: outpatients with COVID-19, patients hospitalized with the disease, and even a trial in household contacts of confirmed cases, where the therapy was used as prophylaxis.

Fauci explained how the mechanism of monoclonal antibodies "is really one of a direct antiviral."

"It's like getting a neutralizing antibody that's highly, highly concentrated and highly, highly specific. So, the mechanism involved is blocking of the virus from essentially entering its target cell in the body and essentially interrupting the course of infection," he said.

While Fauci noted the success of monoclonal antibodies to treat Ebola, he added that they are not practical for other viruses that only last a day or two, where the virus may already be cleared once the patient receives the treatment."If you have a disease that's serious enough and prolonged enough, such as what we saw with Ebola, and what we are currently seeing with COVID-19, then you have enough opportunities to get the monoclonal antibody to actually work," he added.

Monoclonal antibodies are currently being administered intravenously, though Fauci said if the treatment works, "you try to get it to a form where you can give it subcutaneously or intramuscularly," a much more convenient way of administering the therapy.

He also explained the difference between monoclonal antibodies and convalescent plasma, describing them as "extremely pure," due to their homogeneous nature. Therefore the recent published side effects seen in trials of convalescent plasma in COVID-19 patients may not apply.

"The difference between monoclonal antibodies and convalescent plasma is plasma has a lot of other things in it, which could lead to allergic and other reactions," Fauci said. "Theoretically, there are more complex factors in plasma than there are with a monoclonal antibody."

Ultimately, when asked if one of his patients asked him about monoclonal antibodies, Fauci said he would say they are a "promising form of therapy."
"Many of them are still in clinical trials and not available for routine use, but the data that has accumulated recently indicates they are a very promising form of prevention and treatment," he noted

Zero2Cool
2020-08-30T02:49:02Z
Oh come on. Some positive tests don't have the virus?

I gotta read this one again later.

https://www.nytimes.com/...coronavirus-testing.html 
Zero2Cool
2020-08-30T15:29:17Z
KRK
  • KRK
  • Veteran Member
2020-08-30T15:53:58Z
Wait.....what are you saying.....that the government would mislead us?

“It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.” attributed to Mark Twain
Zero2Cool
2020-08-31T12:46:37Z
If you're interested, here's the report from CDC  that seems to have people in a raucous.

"For 6% of the deaths, COVID-19 was the only cause mentioned."
 image.png You have insufficient rights to see the content.

CDC changed how they display everything and now the positive tests number took a major jump. But it looks like the death rate is going down.

The column on the far right shows that age group plus the older age groups. So, 45-54 years and older account for 97.02% of the COVID-19 related deaths.

Just Wisconsin. 8 Males and 13 Females are not accounted for in this chart because they did not have their age available or did not provide it or ... no idea.
KRK
  • KRK
  • Veteran Member
2020-09-04T12:20:30Z
Could Boosting Vitamin D Cut COVID-19 Risk?
— Observational study suggests there may be a link between the two
by Molly Walker, Associate Editor, MedPage Today September 3, 2020

Patients with "likely deficient" vitamin D status had nearly doubled risk of testing positive for COVID-19 versus those with "likely sufficient" vitamin D, a single-center study found.

Among nearly 500 patients, the relative risk for infection was 1.77 (95% CI 1.12-2.81, P=0.02) in those judged to be vitamin D-deficient (below 20 ng/mL or 18 pg/mL, respectively) compared with patients believed to have sufficient vitamin D, reported David Meltzer, MD, PhD, of the University of Chicago, and colleagues writing in JAMA Network Open.

Deficiency and sufficiency were estimated not only on the basis of vitamin D metabolite levels (25-hydroxycholecalciferol and 1,25-dihydroxycholecalciferol with thresholds of 20 ng/dL and 18 pg/mL, respectively) but also on records of vitamin D supplement prescriptions following those measurements.

The authors acknowledged one major caveat, however: vitamin D deficiency may be associated with many other COVID-19 risk factors, including age, obesity, diabetes, and chronic illness. Their statistical analysis included adjustments for many of these, but potential remained for residual confounding.

"[O]bserved associations of vitamin D with outcomes in almost any observational study may fail to accurately reflect any potential causal effects of vitamin D on outcomes," they cautioned.

The authors pointed to prior research suggesting a link between vitamin D and a decrease in other viral respiratory infections, and also noted vitamin D deficiency is "common." In particular, they cited the potential of shelter-in-place orders to decrease sun exposure, augmenting the need for vitamin D supplementation.

"To our knowledge, this study provides the first assessment of the association of vitamin D deficiency and potentially insufficient treatment with testing positive for COVID-19," they wrote.

Meltzer and colleagues drew on electronic health record data from 4,314 patients tested for COVID-19 at their institution from March 3 to April 10. Of these, 489 had complete data and were included in the sample. Average patient age was 49, 75% were women, and almost 70% were nonwhite (primarily Black).

One-quarter were determined to be likely deficient in vitamin D and 59% were likely sufficient; the remainder didn't qualify for either status because supplement prescriptions after measurement introduced uncertainty.

Compared to patients who weren't vitamin D deficient, those who were tended to be younger, a race other than white, more likely to receive vitamin D2 and less likely to receive vitamin D3.

Overall, 71 participants tested positive for COVID-19.

Other than vitamin D deficiency being a consequence of chronic health conditions or behavioral factors that increase COVID-19 risk, limitations to the data also include its limited sample size and that researchers were limited to data within the electronic health record.

Meltzer and colleagues suggested that interventions to reduce vitamin D deficiency, as a means to reduce COVID-19 risk, be tested in randomized trials. Such research would be especially pertinent since both African-American and Hispanic populations not only have disproportionate morbidity and mortality from COVID-19, but also high rates of vitamin D deficiency.
Zero2Cool
2020-09-25T17:23:09Z
Lovely, just freaking lovely. My youngest is now gonna have to be home schooled and we don't have any parent who can stay home from work to help her.
KRK
  • KRK
  • Veteran Member
2020-09-25T18:51:08Z
And this is why we are closing schools?!?!?!?...hmmmm, why do you think that is ??? There couldn't be any politics involved...could there!?!?!?

Don't worry Z2C, schools will be open the day after the election.

CDC Data.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.

https://www.cdc.gov/coro.../planning-scenarios.html 

*The best estimate representative of the point estimates of R0 from the following sources:
Chinazzi M, Davis JT, Ajelli M, et al. The effect of travel restrictions on the spread of the 2019 novel coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak. Science. 2020;368(6489):395-400; Imai N., Cori, A., Dorigatti, I., Baguelin, M., Donnelly, C. A., Riley, S., Ferguson, N.M. (2020). Report 3: Transmissibility of 2019-nCoV. Online report
Li Q, Guan X, Wu P, et al. Early Transmission Dynamics in Wuhan, China, of Novel Coronavirus-Infected Pneumonia. N Engl J Med. 2020;382(13):1199-1207
Munayco CV, Tariq A, Rothenberg R, et al. Early transmission dynamics of COVID-19 in a southern hemisphere setting: Lima-Peru: February 29th-March 30th, 2020 [published online ahead of print, 2020 May 12]. Infect Dis Model. 2020; 5:338-345
Salje H, Tran Kiem C, Lefrancq N, et al. Estimating the burden of SARS-CoV-2 in France [published online ahead of print, 2020 May 13] [published correction appears in Science. 2020 Jun 26;368(6498):]. Science. 2020;eabc3517.
The range of estimates for Scenarios 1-4 represent the upper and lower bound of the widest confidence interval estimates reported in: Li Q, Guan X, Wu P, et al. Early Transmission Dynamics in Wuhan, China, of Novel Coronavirus-Infected Pneumonia. N Engl J Med. 2020;382(13):1199-1207.
Substantial uncertainty remains around the R0 estimate. Notably, Sanche S, Lin YT, Xu C, Romero-Severson E, Hengartner N, Ke R. High Contagiousness and Rapid Spread of Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus 2. Emerg Infect Dis. 2020;26(7):1470-1477 (https://dx.doi.org/10.3201/eid2607.200282external icon) estimated a median R0 value of 5.7 in Wuhan, China. In an analysis of 8 Europe countries and the US, the same group estimated R0 of between 4.0 and 7.1 in the pre-print manuscript: Ke R., Sanche S., Romero-Severson, & E., Hengartner, N. (2020). Fast spread of COVID-19 in Europe and the US suggests the necessity of early, strong and comprehensive interventions. medRxiv.
Zero2Cool
2020-09-25T20:32:49Z
Originally Posted by: KRK 

And this is why we are closing schools?!?!?!?...hmmmm, why do you think that is ??? There couldn't be any politics involved...could there!?!?!?

Don't worry Z2C, schools will be open the day after the election.

I'm sure there are politics involved. And if we didn't have Social Media, I'm willing to bet the political side of it wouldn't be nearly as impactful. As for schools opening up the day after the election, I doubt that. I think there are going to be so many write-ins or absentee ballets (whatever they are called) that it'll take weeks, if not over a month to decide who won the election.

I really am hating the loud squeaky wheel crowd. I'm trying to be open minded, but it's just not working. I'm getting filled with anger more and more everyday over this.
KRK
  • KRK
  • Veteran Member
2020-09-25T21:39:02Z
Also, as a follow-up to the HCQ discussions... image.png You have insufficient rights to see the content.

Many countries either adopted or declined early treatment with HCQ, effectively forming a large trial with 1.8 billion people in the treatment group and 663 million in the control group. As of September 20, 2020, an average of 70.1 per million in the treatment group have died, and 477.2 per million in the control group, relative risk 0.147. After adjustments, treatment and control deaths become 146.8 per million and 715.0 per million, relative risk 0.21. The probability of an equal or lower relative risk occurring from random group assignments is 0.015. Accounting for predicted changes in spread, we estimate a relative risk of 0.26. The treatment group has a 73.9% lower death rate. Confounding factors affect this estimate. We examined diabetes, obesity, hypertension, life expectancy, population density, urbanization, testing level, and intervention level, which do not account for the effect observed.
Cheesey
2020-09-25T21:48:15Z
That’s the problem. The election should be over and decided by the day after.
If you don’t get your ballot in by 8pm Election Day, it should not count.
Laziness shouldn’t be an excuse.
I and my wife already took care of it. There’s no excuse for people not to get it done.
And the virus is being used by the Democrats to blame the President like somehow it’s his fault.
Like I said before, Trump was called a racist when he shut down incoming flights from China. Then they scream he didn’t act fast enough.
Which is it?
I know....which ever they can try to use against him at the time.
I’m sure that right after the election, a lot of the virus problems will disappear. (At least in the “official numbers”) unless of course Trump wins re-election.
Zero2Cool
2020-10-07T12:39:44Z
UW La Crosse just cancelled spring break. As a parent of a pretty little blond girl, I'm good with this! I don't need my kid trying to do Girls Gone Wild kinda shit!!!

Here's some alleged Masks facts.
https://aapsonline.org/mask-facts/ 
Cheesey
2020-10-07T17:07:35Z
Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

UW La Crosse just cancelled spring break. As a parent of a pretty little blond girl, I'm good with this! I don't need my kid trying to do Girls Gone Wild kinda shit!!!

Here's some alleged Masks facts.
https://aapsonline.org/mask-facts/ 

So....how does Dad know about “Girls Gone Wild”???🤪😂