MintBaconDrivel
3 years ago

GREEN BAY, Wis. – Few people have a better feel for the Green Bay Packers’ hiring of Joe Barry as defensive coordinator than Will Blackmon.

Blackmon, a fourth-round draft pick by the Packers in 2006, spent his first four NFL seasons in Green Bay. Blackmon’s 10-year NFL career concluded with two years in Washington, the 2015 and 2016 seasons when Barry was the defensive coordinator.

Blackmon is well aware of the outcry from Packers fans over the hiring of Barry. He’s well aware of Barry’s track record, too, after failed stints as the coordinator in Washington and Detroit.

He wants you to be aware of the circumstances.

“I can understand that. You’re only as good as your last job and all those things,” Blackmon said. “Right, he did struggle at some places. When I first met him, it was 2015 in Washington. The cool thing about Joe B. is he’s willing to adjust and continue to find ways. Yes, we did not have the greatest personnel on defense. We had a bunch of outcasts with the exception of a few guys like Ryan Kerrigan and Preston (Smith). But he was able to find a way where he kept the energy good. He came to work every day like crazy-excited and passionate despite everything that was going on. There was a bunch of stuff going on with the GM and the president and ownership but he was still able to stay the course and still be able to find a way.”

With Jim Haslett running the defense 2014, Washington finished 4-12 and ranked 29th in points allowed. With Barry taking over in 2015, Washington won the NFC East with a 9-7 record and improved to 17th in points allowed. In 2016, it finished 8-7-1 and 19th in points allowed. Coach Jay Gruden fired Barry after the season and replaced him with Greg Manusky. Washington went 7-9 and plummeted to 27th in points allowed.

RELATED: RAMS LINEBACKER TROY REEDER ON JOE BARRY 

The Packers’ defense he’ll be inheriting is not filled with “outcasts.” While lack of top talent and a revolving door of personnel forced Barry to play with simplistic schemes in Washington, Green Bay’s Kenny Clark, Za’Darius Smith and Jaire Alexander are Pro Bowl players. The safety tandem of Adrian Amos and Darnell Savage is well above average. Outside linebacker Rashan Gary is an up-and-coming player. The 2019 Packers finished ninth in points allowed; the 2020 Packers finished ninth in yards allowed.

“No, we didn’t rank high in terms of overall defense but we were able to get the damn ball out despite having a limited package,” Blackmon recalled of a team that finished eighth in takeaways and first in fumble recoveries in 2015. “Even that Year 2, we had so many injuries, we had so many guys rotating in and out, we had some guys suspended. We had a bunch of new faces, but he was able to make a game plan that allowed us to go out there and compete. Now, he’s going to a team in Green Bay, which is his best roster. He has great football knowledge to truly get done what needs to be done. I understand the numbers but sometimes that’s just how it is.”

Packers coach Matt LaFleur spent the 2017 season with Barry in Los Angeles. With the Rams, LaFleur was the offensive coordinator while Barry was the linebackers coach/assistant head coach for a 31-year-old rookie coach named Sean McVay.

LaFleur is a grinder, a trait he shares with Barry.

“I remember I would come back to the facility a couple times a week to watch extra film,” Blackmon said. “I’d leave at 11 o’clock or midnight and Joe Barry’s taking a break. I’m like, ‘Go home, man!’ But he’s up all night just because he cares. The best thing about Joe B. is he has absolutely zero ego. It’s never about him. Never, ever, ever. It’s never about Joe. It’s always about the players. He’s an emotional guy when it comes to that. He’s emotional and passionate. So, I understand his history in terms of success. But there’s a reason why Joe was the assistant head coach of the Rams. He’s got head coach qualities in terms of the leadership and being able to communicate. At the end of the day, as a coach, if you’re able to lead, if you’re able to communicate and you truly have the best interests in the players, that’s all that matters.”

Blackmon said Barry had an open-door policy. He’d eagerly listen to the players and, at times, adopt their thoughts into his scheme or game plan.

Blackmon downplayed the notion that his track record with Washington and Detroit a decade earlier would be held against him by his new players.

“If he’s going to work his ass off to put us in the best position, if that’s his main mission, then it’s all good,” Blackmon said of the players’ perspective. “For any athlete at any level – I dealt with coaches who cussed me out all day long but, at the end of the day, I knew their heart and knew they wanted me to do well. I coach some kids and if the kid knows that I want it for him, then it’s all good. He’s willing to do all those things.”

In terms of the official rankings, which are judged on yards instead of points, Barry’s defenses have never finished outside the bottom five in total defense or bottom 10 in rushing defense. Those horrendous numbers have made LaFleur’s hire ripe for criticism.

Blackmon said Barry is aware of that history, too. With experience and talent, Barry’s got a chance to rewrite his resume.

“I’m just happy for the dude that he’s got another opportunity,” Blackmon said. “He knows the numbers, he knows the history. He has a motivating factor. He knows these things. Trust me, he’s going to go in there and he’s going to work.”

Continue Reading @ Sports Illustrated 

Sports Illustrated wrote:

Does this give you confidence in the new Defensive Coordinator?
Delivering the latest and most important updates on the Green Bay Packers for your convenience.
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
3 years ago
Well....I don’t know if it gives me confidence. But it does give me hope.
It’s true that a D coach can only do as good as the players he inherits. It won’t matter how good or bad he is if he has garbage players on defense.
But if he is a better motivator, and has a decent team to deal with, he should flourish.
Hopefully he can do better then our last few guys did.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (58m) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (59m) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (1h) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (1h) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (2h) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (17h) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (17h) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (17h) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Stefon Diggs' trade will not be processed as a post-June 1 designation, so that is just over $31 million in dead cap this year.
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Bills trading WR Stefon Diggs to the Texans in exchange for a 2025 2nd-round pick. (via @rapsheet)
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
27m / Random Babble / Martha Careful

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

15h / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.