Discussion Board
Zero2Cool
2021-06-09T13:50:06Z
Kind of interesting that some of Rodgers closest friends say it's fixable. Yet, reporters sing a different tune. James Jones says it's not about the GM.

SPEND THE FEW MINUTES LISTENING TO JAMES JONES!!

It sounds like Aaron Rodgers is upset that the organization is letting players go a year too soon, rathe than keeping them. That's the "its about the people" philosophy that Rodgers is speaking about -- as I speculate. James Jones cites Charles Woodson, Jordy Nelson, Clay Matthews, Julius Peppers, etc. We all know Rodgers wasn't happy about Woodson being let go.

I further speculate that Rodgers wants input on when some guys are being let go. He doesn't want input on who is brought in, who is drafted, or any of that. But when it comes to releasing a guy or not re-signing a guy, I think, that's where he wants some input so guys like Clay Matthews, Jordy Nelson, Charles Woodson, Julius Peppers can hang around for one more year. And I think it's because Rodgers understands that the team needs leadership more than youth.

UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
2021-06-09T15:59:13Z
I have never strapped it on for an NFL game but I think keeping players with declining talent with a higher salary than letting the walk and bring in a young, more cost effective player who needs the time to grow is totally wrong.

"Well, they might kill you, but they won’t eat you." Uncle Teddy
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
2021-06-09T16:06:04Z
Plus keeping older players doesn't allow others to grow into the leadership role.
It only focuses on the immediate team ad doesn't look down the road at what the team will be like in 3,4 or 5 years.

IF that is what Aaron wants it is the quickest way to cripple an organization. Aaron is extremely smart. I can't believe this is the hang up.

Organizations in every sport have been culling the older players off the team and bringing in younger bodies for more than 100 years. The is nothing wrong with it. There is nothing insidious about it. Making the tough call and letting the aging veteran go is almost always the mark of a good organization not a poorly led one.
warhawk
2021-06-09T16:26:01Z
A few thoughts IF, in fact, it's true that Rodgers wants more input in when certain players are on the chopping block.
First, you can judge with 100% certainty if it was a good decision or bad to let a player go.........a year or more after the move was made.
Second, what team hasn't had to make the decision to move on from highly popular aging veterans?
Next, is this team not better than it was when Gutekunst first got here? Is that not the goal, and no, it's not all because of one guy. You don't win at this clip with one guy carrying the team on his back.
Finally, I ask again, is this IT? I'm having a hard time matching up the crime with the punishment here. Bunch all the "reasons" being floated around about Love, more input on player moves, or whatever, and COMBINED they don't add up to warrant Rodgers walking away from this team or his place in Packer lore and history. If it's something bigger than all this come out with it already. It's been months.
I could see these issues coming out if the team was heading in the wrong direction and not much hope of getting better but the opposite is true here. This is a really good football team.

"The train is leaving the station."
Zero2Cool
2021-06-09T16:43:54Z
Originally Posted by: wpr 

Plus keeping older players doesn't allow others to grow into the leadership role.
It only focuses on the immediate team ad doesn't look down the road at what the team will be like in 3,4 or 5 years.

IF that is what Aaron wants it is the quickest way to cripple an organization. Aaron is extremely smart. I can't believe this is the hang up.

Organizations in every sport have been culling the older players off the team and bringing in younger bodies for more than 100 years. The is nothing wrong with it. There is nothing insidious about it. Making the tough call and letting the aging veteran go is almost always the mark of a good organization not a poorly led one.

Did you catch that Davante spoke on that growing into a leadership role? He was saying that Jordan is taking more of a leadership role without Aaron there. Then said that's exactly how you need to do it. He also mentioned he's a natural leader and sat back because Jordy Nelson and other WR's were here as leaders.

I do believe the Packers letting go of players when they did bothers him. I mean, he hasn't been shy about it, especially Charles Woodson. I think that combined with the uncertainty of the final years of his contract are what has high priority on his list of issues. That's assuming he has more than two of course.

UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
2021-06-09T16:48:47Z
Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Did you catch that Davante spoke on that growing into a leadership role? He was saying that Jordan is taking more of a leadership role without Aaron there. Then said that's exactly how you need to do it. He also mentioned he's a natural leader and sat back because Jordy Nelson and other WR's were here as leaders.

I do believe the Packers letting go of players when they did bothers him. I mean, he hasn't been shy about it, especially Charles Woodson. I think that combined with the uncertainty of the final years of his contract are what has high priority on his list of issues. That's assuming he has more than two of course.

Yes I did catch it. Ever year someone grows and takes on a larger role in terms of leadership. It may not be one of the "Big guys" who speak to the HC about the needs to the team but a 2nd year guy talks to the rookies and tells them what to expect. A 3rd year player works with those younger than he. It is a stepping stone process. Very few players are like Z was in 2020, take over the locker room and come in and assume a major portion of the leadership mantel in the first year with a team.
dfosterf
2021-06-09T17:04:18Z
I recommend going onto YouTube and watching all of the previous seasons of "Hard Knocks". I did. As we sit here and wring our hands about what is bugging Rodgers, assigning blame as emotions ebb and flow, reading and watching the assorted experts and those with supposed inside information, I cannot help but acknowledge that this is a brutal business, with little room for sentimentality if a team is striving for success. These cuts are made collectively by position coaches, coordinators, a head coach, a GM, and bet your ass a team president in our case. Sometimes I like them or hate them, just like everyone else, but recognize that I don't have all the context in which these decisions are made. Guess what? Aaron Rodgers doesn't either...not all of them... especially in light if his impact on a salary cap for these decision makers, as one example...
UserPostedImage
damn skippy I'm an owner. I currently own a full .00001924537805515393 % of the Green Bay Packers.
Zero2Cool
2021-06-09T17:08:22Z

Yes I did catch it. Ever year someone grows and takes on a larger role in terms of leadership. It may not be one of the "Big guys" who speak to the HC about the needs to the team but a 2nd year guy talks to the rookies and tells them what to expect. A 3rd year player works with those younger than he. It is a stepping stone process. Very few players are like Z was in 2020, take over the locker room and come in and assume a major portion of the leadership mantel in the first year with a team.

This is interesting to me because I remember one of Brian Gutekunst press conferences when Jordy Nelson was mentioned. Gutekunst said something about needing Davante to step into that leadership role, or something of that ilk.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
2021-06-09T18:33:53Z
Originally Posted by: dfosterf 

I recommend going onto YouTube and watching all of the previous seasons of "Hard Knocks". I did. As we sit here and wring our hands about what is bugging Rodgers, assigning blame as emotions ebb and flow, reading and watching the assorted experts and those with supposed inside information, I cannot help but acknowledge that this is a brutal business, with little room for sentimentality if a team is striving for success. These cuts are made collectively by position coaches, coordinators, a head coach, a GM, and bet your ass a team president in our case. Sometimes I like them or hate them, just like everyone else, but recognize that I don't have all the context in which these decisions are made. Guess what? Aaron Rodgers doesn't either...not all of them... especially in light if his impact on a salary cap for these decision makers, as one example...

As time has rolled by I keep thinking, if Aaron was to be involved in the decision making process, fine. Let him resign as QB. Give back the money he was paid to be the starting QB on the team and send his application in to be a subordinate to the GM. (Probably starting as a scout.) and work his way up the organizational chain. He needs to prove along the way that he is capable of evaluating talent.
Zero2Cool
2021-06-09T19:14:31Z
Originally Posted by: dfosterf 

The release of Josh Sitton comes to mind as a brutal surprise.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
2021-06-09T19:17:32Z

As time has rolled by I keep thinking, if Aaron was to be involved in the decision making process, fine. Let him resign as QB. Give back the money he was paid to be the starting QB on the team and send his application in to be a subordinate to the GM. (Probably starting as a scout.) and work his way up the organizational chain. He needs to prove along the way that he is capable of evaluating talent.

Aaron has said he does not want to make those decisions. And if I infer on his other comments, he just wants a voice at the table, not the deciding voice. People take this as meaning he wants to be the GM or what not. That's not it at all -- again, based off Aaron's own words. He just wants the OPPORTUNITY to go to bat for guys who he feels will help the team win. We have to keep in perspective that he's the leader of the team. He's in the locker room, the GM and coaches aren't as in tune. Lots of guys lead by example and in the moment and aren't the rah-rah get in front of the camera type. Think of Mike Daniels. That dude talked like Tarzan and played like Jane.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
2021-06-09T20:21:11Z
JJ thinks Aaron will show up. 

“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Zero2Cool
2021-06-09T20:32:31Z
Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

JJ thinks Aaron will show up. 

You didn't even listen to the few minutes where James Jones spoke. 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
2021-06-09T20:42:59Z
So....:if Rodgers wants a “say” in decisions. Won’t he still be just as pissed off if the FO doesn’t do what HE wants?
One big reason why the Packers have to let aging vets go is that they tend to get the most money. And there’s just so much to go around. Like I have said before, Rodgers has made a boatload of money already. If he wants a say in who stays or who goes, how about he take a pay cut so the team can afford to keep some of his loved ones?
UserPostedImage
warhawk
2021-06-10T18:41:17Z
I don't believe this rift has anything to do with Rodgers looking for more input on players or even about Jordon Love.
Aaron Rodgers envisioned retiring as a Packer, however, at some point he got the impression the FO had other plans. Now he wants to stick it to them in a "how do you dare think about moving me before I'm ready" play.. After all, in the few words he has spoken, he said winning the MVP "threw a kink in their plans." I say this because of all the speculation about "why" this is the only thing I have heard that would piss me off a whole lot as well. Maybe not enough to walk away but it would piss me off.
If this is all true than it's understandable why it has not been resolved and may not happen. What can the FO say to make this better. "yeah, you got me on that one?" It's like getting caught cheating. Those relationship do not generally end well.

I get the Front Offices position. Their job is to look into the future and do what's best for the team. Rodgers wasn't exactly great in '18, ok in '19, and there was this little issue with being in cap hell. How do you tell a guy this especially when at the time it was an option being thrown around and not set in stone? My conspiracy theory, since everyone has one, is that Arod sensed that while the Packers were being nice they had one had on his back leading to the door but when he had the MVP season he's taken that hand and is twisting it till it hurts. So now the waiting game continues to see if he can get passed it...or not. Oh well, as they say, at times the best laid plans go awry.
"The train is leaving the station."
Cheesey
2021-06-11T03:43:50Z
That’s the job of the FO! To be prepared to put a new guy into whatever position on the TEAM when a player looks to be losing it.
Why did it take Rodgers realizing that he’s MAYBE in the position of being shown the door to get him to play at a MVP level? He finally started doing what MLF wanted him to do with the offense, and he flourished. The year before, he seemed to be fighting it and he wasn’t that great. Had he not been so into himself, maybe he would have had a MVP season in 2019 as well, and not looked liked the Packers better be preparing for the next QB in line.
And fact is, other then 2010, he hasn’t played great in NFC title games. He’s had his chances, and mostly hasn’t got it done. Especially in the last one. Brady gave up 3 INTs, and Rodgers couldn’t get it done. That’s on him.
Now we seem to have a few of the previously missing pieces on our D on the team, and Amari Rodgers on offense.
So Rodgers has a chance to get another shot at a RING. If he can get his huge EGO to let his poor hurt feelings go, and get his rear end into Green Bay.
His best shot at a SB is here.
If he doesn’t realize that, he’s an idiot. And it’s not like he isn’t paid well enough.
The guy can’t even get along with his family. Some day his parents will be gone, and he most likely will regret his pigheaded attitude.
I’d give anything if I could spend one more day with my Mom and Dad. My Mom has been gone 31 years, my Dad 47 years.
I hope Rodgers wakes up and doesn’t have to go through that.
UserPostedImage