Discussion Board
bboystyle
2021-12-13T05:58:31Z
From Crosby to the returners. Just plain out horrible and will most likely cost us in the playoffs. Cherry on top, they allowed an onside kick. We need a new ST coach this offseason.
blank
beast
2021-12-13T06:59:51Z
Probably not, because no team has signed him, but I sorta wonder if returner Tyler Ervin would be helpful.

Bills and Giants worked him out during the off season and didn't even sign him for a camp body.

But the Packers might want to consider a returner, at minimum for the PS, just in case. We have had backup K and LS on the list for a number of weeks, now that the kicker spot is free, maybe look at a returner?
UserPostedImage
earthquake
2021-12-13T07:14:16Z
I was listening to Maurice Drayton, the ST coach, in an interview the other day and it seemed like Chandon Sullivan is the other guy they've been working at punt returner. Gotta wonder if they put him out there soon. Only had a handful of returns in college though.

Amari Rodgers looks gun shy out there. Seems like his confidence is wrecked. He returned a LOT of kicks in college though, 68 punts and 2 kickoffs. You gotta imagine that if he settles in at it he would do a decent job.

Erik Stokes seems like he would be good at it if you can trust him to field the ball. Looks like he only had one return in college. Hmmm

Irvin to the practice squad would make a lot of sense.

From a comment on PFT "Use Mercedes Lewis as punt returner. At least he can catch!"
blank
2021-12-13T12:53:51Z
. I wonder how many times this happens?
beast
2021-12-13T13:42:38Z
Originally Posted by: packerfanwayoutwest 

https://twitter.com/BarroomNetwork/status/1470243344471277578.

I wonder how many times this happens?

I don't know but for some reason I absolutely love watching it 😂

Also that reminds me, we do need to note one absolutely awesome ST play...

On the play where Amari Rodgers muffed the punt, it got called back due to the Packers guy lined up across from their gunner making an incredible smart play.

The gunners aren't allowed to go out of bounce unless they're physically forced, which since they're usually trying to make maximum contact they do get pushed and therefore can argue they got "forced" (even when it wasn't enough contact to actually force them out).

But whomever was covering the gunner on that play made it absolutely clear, I'm getting close to him, but I'm not touching him unless he comes towards me...

So when the Bears gunner ran out of bounces without being touched, the Ref had no choice (assuming he saw it) but to throw the flag.

UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
2021-12-13T15:35:16Z
I hate the ST. All of it.
Kicking out of bounds is incredibly stupid. No excuse. Kicking short of the goal line is probably a coaching decision in order to try and stop them short of the 25. That should end right now. The kick coverage team has not shown the ability to make this worthwhile.

Punting has been an issue all season as well. From nearly getting punts blocked to covering the returns, horrible. Even though Bojo botched it up this time, kick it out of bounds EVERY.SINGLE.TIME. If not that, then Kick it shorter and higher so the gunners are standing right there and the returner is forced to make a fair catch.

I know it is not the way to do things these days but starting right now put starters on all the ST groups. Don't let the 40-15th best player on the team ruin the game. Make them earn playing time. Nothing motivates as much as the peer pressure they will get from the starters when they have to be out there doing someone else's job.

"Well, they might kill you, but they won’t eat you." Uncle Teddy
Zero2Cool
2021-12-13T15:40:40Z
Originally Posted by: wpr 

I hate the ST. All of it.
Kicking out of bounds is incredibly stupid. No excuse. Kicking short of the goal line is probably a coaching decision in order to try and stop them short of the 25. That should end right now. The kick coverage team has not shown the ability to make this worthwhile.

Punting has been an issue all season as well. From nearly getting punts blocked to covering the returns, horrible. Even though Bojo botched it up this time, kick it out of bounds EVERY.SINGLE.TIME. If not that, then Kick it shorter and higher so the gunners are standing right there and the returner is forced to make a fair catch.

I know it is not the way to do things these days but starting right now put starters on all the ST groups. Don't let the 40-15th best player on the team ruin the game. Make them earn playing time. Nothing motivates as much as the peer pressure they will get from the starters when they have to be out there doing someone else's job.

Malik Taylor trying to field a kick off that looked to be going out of bounds, only to bobble it out of bounds was straight up coaching in my opinion. You have to have parameters in place of what to do when the ball is around X and Y and Z yardlines. We've seen other Packers players catch the ball with one foot out of bounds an they later cited our Special Teams coach.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
2021-12-13T15:45:12Z
Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Malik Taylor trying to field a kick off that looked to be going out of bounds, only to bobble it out of bounds was straight up coaching in my opinion. You have to have parameters in place of what to do when the ball is around X and Y and Z yardlines. We've seen other Packers players catch the ball with one foot out of bounds an they later cited our Special Teams coach.

That's the first thing I thought of. "Why didn't he stand out of bounds when he fielded the kick?" I'm a nobody and I know that is what you should do.
"Well, they might kill you, but they won’t eat you." Uncle Teddy
Zero2Cool
2021-12-13T15:59:07Z
Originally Posted by: wpr 

That's the first thing I thought of. "Why didn't he stand out of bounds when he fielded the kick?" I'm a nobody and I know that is what you should do.

In the realm of the NFL, you might be a nobody, however, you have more years of watching the game football than Malik Taylor has years being alive. I think some of us armchair QB's (myself included here so don't anyone get pissy) sometimes forget that these are kids who have maybe 10 years of playing the game compared to our decades of obsessing over the game.
UserPostedImage
warhawk
2021-12-13T19:52:55Z
I am of the opinion that Matt LaFleur has no choice but to play some of the starters and front line players on ST's. On both kick offs and punts this group looked like a school of fish all bunching together leaving wide open sides for the returner to reverse the field.
I can see this happening once and the ST's coach getting on them to stay in their damn lanes but it just kept happening over and over.
Just one ST's snafu in the playoffs can cost them the game. They are just plain lucky the Bears are not a good football team. Any playoff team would have put a fork in them last night.
That was the worst Special Teams lack of effort and focus I have ever seen. I thought they should have fired the ST's coach at half time only to see them do even worst in the second half. It's not all just on him though. There are guys out there that should not be on ST's and I expect to see significant changes from here on out.

"The train is leaving the station."
nerdmann
2021-12-13T20:09:05Z
Put Malik on IR, get someone who can field a punt.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Zero2Cool
2021-12-14T21:41:45Z
Here's the Packers doing the out of bounds on kick off deal twice.
https://www.facebook.com...L/videos/703478883962453 
UserPostedImage
bboystyle
2021-12-19T23:30:54Z
This is gonna be a weekly bump until this unit costs us a playoff game.

Another atrocious week and the game still has a whole quarter left.

Disgusted
blank
bboystyle
2021-12-20T00:18:49Z
It got worse at the end of the game.

Worse damn unit ever
blank
bboystyle
2022-01-23T04:21:46Z
upppp... I really meant it when i said this is the worse ST i ever saw
blank
Cheesey
2022-01-23T04:47:18Z
Originally Posted by: bboystyle 

upppp... I really meant it when i said this is the worse ST i ever saw

Sadly, you are right.
They would have to improve to get up to the “suck” level.
The ST coach should be fired tonight.
UserPostedImage
hardrocker950
2022-01-23T04:47:20Z
Everyone on ST staff needs to be fired into the sun. That was the most pathetic performance I've ever seen from any ST unit. I'm sickened beyond words.
"I enjoy being just one of 53 on the team." - Aaron Rodgers
Cheesey
2022-01-23T04:50:15Z
Originally Posted by: hardrocker950 

Everyone on ST staff needs to be fired into the sun. That was the most pathetic performance I've ever seen from any ST unit. I'm sickened beyond words.

I am too. A 10 point swing. It cost us the game. Plus 10 points by our offense????
Really????
We deserved to lose this game. The Cowboys and Mike McCarthy must be laughing.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
2022-01-23T05:23:50Z
 FB_IMG_1642915417550.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
nerdmann
2022-01-23T05:47:05Z
Another ridiculous failure is we lost Dillon to a chest injury, while having to play SPECIAL TEAMS.
Cheesey
2022-01-23T20:17:52Z
Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

Another ridiculous failure is we lost Dillon to a chest injury, while having to play SPECIAL TEAMS.

Well, he now has all off season to heal. He won’t be playing next week.....
UserPostedImage