Pack93z
  • Pack93z
  • Select Member Topic Starter
15 years ago
I hope the jsonline boys are eating serious crow tomorrow.. only Nickels goes with the Pack.. grrrrrr. :lol:

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=791907 

Five things to watch; Views of the game
Posted: Sept. 7, 2008
PACKERS vs. VIKINGS
101215Packers/NFL

PACKERS vs. VIKINGS

WHEN: Mon. Sept. 8, 6 p.m. CT
WHERE: Lambeau Field, Green Bay
TV: ESPN / Ch. 12 (in Milwaukee)
RADIO: AM-620
PACKERS: Schedule | Roster | Depth Chart
VIKINGS: Schedule | Roster | Depth Chart
McGINN: Scouting report on the Vikings
INJURY REPORT: Status for the game
PREVIEW:
Last time they met
MORE COVERAGE:
Star Tribune | Pioneer Press
PREDICTIONS:
Week 1 forecast
(Through Sept. 8)
NFL: 2008 calendar

When: 6 p.m. Monday. Where: Lambeau Field. TV: ESPN/Ch. 12. Radio: AM-620. Tickets: Sold out. Line: Packers by 2. Weather: Rain, 57. Series: Packers lead, 48-44-1. Coaches: Green Bay's Mike McCarthy (22-12) vs. Minnesota's Brad Childress (14-18).
INJURY REPORT

Out: G Josh Sitton (knee).

Doubtful: WR James Jones (knee).

Questionable: LB A.J. Hawk (chest), S Charlie Peprah (hamstring), C Scott Wells (back).

Probable: S Atari Bigby (ankle), T Chad Clifton (knees), DE Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila (knee), RB Ryan Grant (hamstring), DE Jeremy Thompson (groin), LB Tracy White (ankle).
FIVE THINGS TO WATCH

BEEN THERE: This won't be the first time that Minnesota's Artis Hicks must come through under intense pressure at a foreign position on a Monday night. In 2003, when Hicks was with Philadelphia, he became the emergency starter at left tackle when Tra Thomas' back gave out just before a game against Miami. Hicks then went out and shut down Jason Taylor in probably the best performance of his mediocre career. Hicks is moving up from backup guard to starting left tackle because Bryant McKinnie was suspended for the first four games. Last season, Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila owned McKinnie to the tune of four sacks in two games. "Hicks' feet are OK," one scout said. "They ain't left tackle feet. Know what I mean? Average at best." Added another scout: "There's not much out there. He has played left tackle before."

ELITES MEET: Two of the top five defensive ends in the league will be on the same field with Aaron Kampman for Green Bay and Jared Allen for Minnesota. "I think Jared has more God-given ability than Kampman," one scout said. "Such a high-effort guy coming out. They're both great. I just think Jared has a step on him." Kampman will be opposed by RT Ryan Cook. In the Week 4 meeting last season, Kampman manhandled Cook for six of his whopping seven knockdowns. In Week 9, Cook was more competitive but Kampman still beat him for three pressures. "Cook is a tall guy, average athlete, not a knee bender," one scout said. "Grabs more than punches."

OUTSIDE TARGET: CB Cedric Griffin has had more than his share of problems against Green Bay already in his career. Last year, he gave up a 36-yard go route to Ruvell Martin and a 33-yard go route to James Jones in Week 4. In Week 10, he was at least partially responsible for a 34-yard bomb to Greg Jennings and was beaten on a 37-yard go route by Jones. An offensive assistant for a team that played Minnesota in August said he expected Griffin to be improved. An NFC scout, however, wasn't so sure. "He almost is like a safety playing corner," the scout said. "He's just not the most fluid guy. He's got size. He's fast enough. He just needs to become more consistent. Double moves hurt him. If you just ask him to turn and run with a guy he's fine."

DEEP THREAT: The Vikings paid big bucks to WR Bernard Berrian in March for a player they hope will keep defenses honest. A year ago, the Vikings struggled getting deep. In the two Green Bay games, Bobby Wade caught a 40-yard post-corner route when Charles Woodson got caught out of position, and Robert Ferguson hauled in a 35-yard go route behind Al Harris. Those were atypical moments for an offense lacking speed on the perimeter. Maybe Berrian will be the cure. "He can get deep," an opposing assistant coach said. "He goes down the field a lot. Deep posts, go routes, over routes. I haven't seen him run very many slants or in cuts." Berrian's speed doesn't appear to have diminished after four seasons in Chicago.

INSIDE MATCHUP: The last time the two teams met, the Packers' offensive line might have had its best game since NT Pat Williams joined Minnesota in 2005. The Packers won, 34-0, at Lambeau Field, and C Scott Wells probably blocked Williams better than ever before. Meanwhile, LG Daryn Colledge didn't allow a pressure even though he was isolated against DT Kevin Williams quite a few times. RG Jason Spitz was outstanding as well. With Wells out, the Packers will have Spitz at center and Tony Moll at right guard. "You can't find two better D-tackles," one scout said. "Their linebackers are OK but it starts with their front." Said an opposing assistant: "They're very stout in the defensive front. So they won't have to blitz people very much because they can put pressure on with that front four. Just a very physical bunch."

Bob McGinn
JOURNAL SENTINEL VIEWS OF THE GAME

Bob McGinn: Mike McCarthy's offenses have been borderline pathetic on opening day the last two years. Don't look for vast improvement tonight with Aaron Rodgers making his debut, Ryan Grant a complete unknown, the interior in flux and James Jones out. The Vikings' defense should carry the day.

Tom Silverstein: While the Packers have been busy trying to piece together their offensive line, get their starting running back healthy and get their backup quarterback situation resolved, the Vikings have been preparing for this game. It's true, quarterback Tarvaris Jackson has been hurt, but he's a minor cog. The Vikings are more ready to play this game and have a good chance to flex their muscles on the road. Vikings 24, Packers 20.

Greg A. Bedard: The Packers have a bunch of question marks, from the offensive line to Aaron Rodgers to Ryan Grant and the defensive line, going into this game. The Vikings have some good answers in running back Adrian Peterson and a tough and physical defense. That will be enough for Week 1. Vikings 27, Packers 17.

Lori Nickel: There's enough motivation on both sides to make this a playoff-type environment, which means the victory will go to the team with the most poise. Aaron Rodgers will have to know when to run, when to unload and maybe even when to take a sack if necessary to protect each Green Bay possession. Ryan Grant must also hold on even though he hasn't been hit since January. Without poise, the Packers will turn over the ball and hand this game to the charged-up Vikings. Packers 17, Vikings 14.

Michael Hunt: Remember how Brett Favre could get too pumped up for a big game and overthrow out of the gate? Aaron Rodgers must manage his emotions in his debut or the Packers could be in trouble from the start against that defense. Vikings 16, Packers 13.

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
yooperfan
15 years ago
I'm with Lori Nickel!
At least i wish I was with Lori Nickel!
That was hard to read without getting really worried.
Is Mike McCarthy really that bad of an opening day coach?
zombieslayer
15 years ago
Take a sack? I don't want to see Rodgers taking sacks.

Looking at the injury report, we should be light with Grant. Really limit his carries. We can beat MN without Grant doing much. I bet Mike McCarthy will go straight to the passing game, and keep attacking through the air until we have a comfortable lead. Then put in Brandon J.

We also should sit Jones. We'll need him down the stretch. We got 3 experienced WRs and Jordy, who I've been really impressed with.

Hawk and Wells I'm worried about. Both would be important vs the Vikes, for obvious reasons.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
zombieslayer
15 years ago
Oh, one more thing, this game's not going to be close. We win by keeping the ball in the air and keeping AP off the field (by forcing Childress to go to Tarvaris). We lose by turnovers. Either way, the game won't be close. Everyone's predicting this game to be close.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
pack_in_black
15 years ago
Everyone loves the Vikings this year. And that's good for our young team. Mr. Rodgers is gonna welcome these over-hyped suckers to his neighborhood with a little song called "350 yards passing and 4 TDs". Warm up Trolley, cause the Vikes and their bandwagoneers are gonna be headin' back to the Land of Make-Believe real quickly..
UserPostedImage
Thanks to Pack93z for the sig!
Rios39
15 years ago

Looking at the injury report, we should be light with Grant. Really limit his carries. We can beat MN without Grant doing much. I bet Mike McCarthy will go straight to the passing game, and keep attacking through the air until we have a comfortable lead. Then put in Brandon J.

We also should sit Jones. We'll need him down the stretch. We got 3 experienced WRs and Jordy, who I've been really impressed with.

Hawk and Wells I'm worried about. Both would be important vs the Vikes, for obvious reasons.

"zombieslayer" wrote:

I believe Hawk will be playing this game. Wells will not be if I'm correct?
blank
doddpower
15 years ago

"Rios39" wrote:

I believe Hawk will be playing this game. Wells will not be if I'm correct?

"zombieslayer" wrote:

Both are still questionable, but I'm sure Wells will be out.

That's probably just something to keep the Vikings game plan going into the game honest, in my opinion.
warhawk
15 years ago

I'm with Lori Nickel!

"yooperfan" wrote:

I think to talk about how we started the last couple of years is relevant only if time stands still and everything remains the same.

In the past couple of years we had a very young interior OL, WR's, and last year at RB as well.

The difference between the youngest team in the NFL now and over the last two years is the total number of games played by our starters. Spitz, Colledge, Wells, Jennings, Hawk, Poppinga, Martin, etc., all had virtually no real game experience two years ago. Also, last year we were forced to go with two rookie RB's early because everbody else was hurt.

Many of these guys should see their greatest improvement from a previous season happening along about now.
That makes a big difference in what you can expect in the beginning of the year this year vs. years past. We are not starting a single rookie are we? That in itself is a whole lot different than the last two seasons.
"The train is leaving the station."
NodakPaul
15 years ago

I'm with Lori Nickel!

"warhawk" wrote:

I think to talk about how we started the last couple of years is relevant only if time stands still and everything remains the same.

In the past couple of years we had a very young interior OL, WR's, and last year at RB as well.

The difference between the youngest team in the NFL now and over the last two years is the total number of games played by our starters. Spitz, Colledge, Wells, Jennings, Hawk, Poppinga, Martin, etc., all had virtually no real game experience two years ago. Also, last year we were forced to go with two rookie RB's early because everbody else was hurt.

Many of these guys should see their greatest improvement from a previous season happening along about now.
That makes a big difference in what you can expect in the beginning of the year this year vs. years past. We are not starting a single rookie are we? That in itself is a whole lot different than the last two seasons.

"yooperfan" wrote:

Great quote. +1
"There's the snap, Rodgers with a quick drop - in trouble! AND SACKED BY ALLEN! The ball is lose, the ball is lose, and recovered by Kevin Williams! And that's the ball game! Childress and the Vikings FINALLY beat the Packers!"
--
Fan Shout
dfosterf (5h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (12h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (13h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (14h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (17h) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (19h) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (19h) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (19h) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (19h) : Against tbd
dfosterf (19h) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (19h) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (19h) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (19h) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (19h) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (20h) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (20h) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (20h) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (20h) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
dfosterf (25-Mar) : A major foul will be enforced on the offense if there are offsetting penalties in a change of possession situation
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Teams will receive a 3rd challenge if 1 was successful. Previously, it took 2
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.