nerdmann
2 months ago
One way to help the run defense is to get a lead.  This defense is predicated upon defending a lead. Remember how reliable they were last year?
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Zero2Cool
2 months ago
Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

One way to help the run defense is to get a lead.  This defense is predicated upon defending a lead. Remember how reliable they were last year?



Remember when they weren't missing double digit tackles last year?
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
2 months ago
He'll figure it out. 




“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Mucky Tundra
2 months ago
Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Remember when they weren't missing double digit tackles last year?



This is one of the things that's driving me nuts about the D compared to last year. Even if they weren't playing great, they were generally tackling well. This year? Guys just wiffing left and right. 
“Nah. I like having the island. It’s pretty cool...not too many visitors”
UserPostedImage
"I’ve got it." -Aaron Rodgers
nerdmann
2 months ago
Originally Posted by: Mucky Tundra 

This is one of the things that's driving me nuts about the D compared to last year. Even if they weren't playing great, they were generally tackling well. This year? Guys just wiffing left and right. 



In fairness, our starting ILB is a rookie. You live and die with that. 
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Zero2Cool
2 months ago
Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

In fairness, our starting ILB is a rookie. You live and die with that. 



We started a rookie at CB last season. not an excuse
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
2 months ago



“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
beast
a month ago
Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

He'll figure it out. 




DTs usually suck as rookies... I have absolutely no idea why, but it's the general trend, some have suggested that the interior NFL game is just so much quicker that they need to see it and have an a full offseason to adjust to it.

As far as why he's getting so few snaps... because there is decent veteran depth I'm fromt of him, that's not that hard to figure out.

Also, Wyatt's strength is clearly pass rushing... which is best when we have the lead... and going into this season, it was thought he's limit role might be as a pass rush specialist, but those usually come into play when you're playing from ahead and the Packers haven't been doing that....

Vet DTs Reed and Lowry are both FAs, so I'm theory, Wyatt's snap counts will be going up next year... 
​​​​
UserPostedImage
beast
a month ago
Originally Posted by: Mucky Tundra 

This is one of the things that's driving me nuts about the D compared to last year. Even if they weren't playing great, they were generally tackling well. This year? Guys just wiffing left and right. 

Absolutely! The Packers tackling usually sucks... but they asked Joe Barry to focus on that year one, and it amazingly turned around and they were tackling great!

And this year... they're either back to the normal bad, or maybe even a bit worse than normal... and it's basically the same players...

One of the those Vince Lombardi, "What the Hell's going on out here?" moments... and maybe they emphasized it last year and didn't emphasize it this off season... but why haven't they stopped and reemphasized it mid-season?

I'm to the point where I want to hire a full time tackling coach, who's only job is to focus on making sure players are tackling well... nothing else... this team needs it!



​​​​​Usually I like holding onto thing too long... I was one of the last hold outs with Capers and Petite, worried that the coach that followed would be worse...

I absolutely love this Vic Fangio system (when run correctly)... but I'm ready for Joe Barry to go... as he's short school bus slow in making adjustments... seems like both announcers and average fans figure out the adjustment needed before he's willing to pull the trigger for adjustments.

At the very least, we need a different defensive play caller.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
a month ago
Originally Posted by: beast 

I absolutely love this Vic Fangio system (when run correctly)... but I'm ready for Joe Barry to go... as he's short school bus slow in making adjustments... seems like both announcers and average fans figure out the adjustment needed before he's willing to pull the trigger for adjustments.

At the very least, we need a different defensive play caller.



I've read this a few times about making adjustments and it's just plane false. He's making adjustments. It's just the adjustments are cutting bread with a fork instead of a spoon, lol. Even last game vs Eagles ... even the announcers noticed the defensive scheme change. I didn't see anyone here even hint at it. It's like people aren't watching and just bemoaning. 🤷‍♂️

This isn't to defend Joe Barry. I'm good if he's replaced. But, that's because this is like the third or fourth DC that I've seen allow CB's to play 5-7 yards off WR's an that just pisses me off. I'm not saying press every play, but when it's 3rd and 5? Ya'll press and press inside to remove slant and quick plays. 
UserPostedImage
beast
a month ago
Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

I've read this a few times about making adjustments and it's just plane false. He's making adjustments. It's just the adjustments are cutting bread with a fork instead of a spoon, lol. Even last game vs Eagles ... even the announcers noticed the defensive scheme change. I didn't see anyone here even hint at it. It's like people aren't watching and just bemoaning. 🤷‍♂️

This isn't to defend Joe Barry. I'm good if he's replaced. But, that's because this is like the third or fourth DC that I've seen allow CB's to play 5-7 yards off WR's an that just pisses me off. I'm not saying press every play, but when it's 3rd and 5? Ya'll press and press inside to remove slant and quick plays. 

The subject that you are claiming false, is absolutely not what I was saying... you totally misunderstood.

Joe Barry absolutely is making adjustments... he's just extremely too late in making them...

Like the announcers and fans are openly stating he should make them a full drive before he actually makes them...

It's not that he isn't doing them... it's just that he's extremely extremely late in doing so...
UserPostedImage
go.pack.go.
a month ago
Originally Posted by: beast 

The subject that you are claiming false, is absolutely not what I was saying... you totally misunderstood.

Joe Barry absolutely is making adjustments... he's just extremely too late in making them...

Like the announcers and fans are openly stating he should make them a full drive before he actually makes them...

It's not that he isn't doing them... it's just that he's extremely extremely late in doing so...



He’s making late adjustments now. He wasn’t early in the season. 

That’s not even mentioning the lack of adjustments when it comes to position changes. For example moving Savage to slot, starting Rudy Ford at S, putting Douglas on the outside, letting Jaire follow a good receiver from time to time, etc. 
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
a month ago
Originally Posted by: beast 

The subject that you are claiming false, is absolutely not what I was saying... you totally misunderstood.

Joe Barry absolutely is making adjustments... he's just extremely too late in making them...

Like the announcers and fans are openly stating he should make them a full drive before he actually makes them...

It's not that he isn't doing them... it's just that he's extremely extremely late in doing so...



This can be misconstrued as you want adjustments for the sake of adjustments. QB scampers for 16 yards, so now you dedicate a LB to Spy. Now the TE is always finding holes in the zone coverage. So go more man coverage. Now the WR's are getting open via crossers and double moves. You could be constantly making adjustments and being one step behind the offense.

I dunno. At some point, you have to have confidence in your scheme and what you have practiced. You also have to realize that after three drives of them getting points, you might wanna adjust. I guess this is why there's only 32 of those positions available in the world. 

A defense that I would like to see is one that is constantly getting after the QB. Make him uncomfortable. When so many were slamming Rashan Gary, I was repeatedly saying, but he is getting in the QB face. That is huge. Make that QB know you are coming. You might not have got to him that play, but guess what biotch, I am gonna be back in 40 seconds. 

I'll take sound tackling, CB's that play more press coverage than off coverage (situationally speaking) and schemed up blitzes. And just a take no prisoners mentality defense. I miss guys like Wayne Simmons and even Desmond Bishop. Straight up thumpers. I think the defense is missing that guy that puts fear into offenses. 

You also have to choose what you're willing to give up. You will not stop everything. It's impossible. The Packers deploy a scheme that is susceptible to getting run on, but doesn't give up big play passing yards. This works amazing when your offense is putting up points. And that there is why I worry we'll have Joe Barry next year. The defense is schemed to protect a lead, not play from behind while the offense chews up clock by dinking and dunking and running the ball for small/big chunks.


 
UserPostedImage
beast
a month ago
Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

This can be misconstrued as you want adjustments for the sake of adjustments. QB scampers for 16 yards, so now you dedicate a LB to Spy. Now the TE is always finding holes in the zone coverage. So go more man coverage. Now the WR's are getting open via crossers and double moves. You could be constantly making adjustments and being one step behind the offense.

I dunno. At some point, you have to have confidence in your scheme and what you have practiced. You also have to realize that after three drives of them getting points, you might wanna adjust. I guess this is why there's only 32 of those positions available in the world. 

A defense that I would like to see is one that is constantly getting after the QB. Make him uncomfortable. When so many were slamming Rashan Gary, I was repeatedly saying, but he is getting in the QB face. That is huge. Make that QB know you are coming. You might not have got to him that play, but guess what biotch, I am gonna be back in 40 seconds. 

I'll take sound tackling, CB's that play more press coverage than off coverage (situationally speaking) and schemed up blitzes. And just a take no prisoners mentality defense. I miss guys like Wayne Simmons and even Desmond Bishop. Straight up thumpers. I think the defense is missing that guy that puts fear into offenses. 

You also have to choose what you're willing to give up. You will not stop everything. It's impossible. The Packers deploy a scheme that is susceptible to getting run on, but doesn't give up big play passing yards. This works amazing when your offense is putting up points. And that there is why I worry we'll have Joe Barry next year. The defense is schemed to protect a lead, not play from behind while the offense chews up clock by dinking and dunking and running the ball for small/big chunks.
 

You make a great argument.

Just to be clear, my background is Accounting, and I'm conservative anti-risk when it comes to defensive play calling and I absolutely worry about too much change and as you talked about, you have to set up a base and trust your base to some degree.

I certainly don't want change for change nor adjustment for adjustments sake... quote the opposite, the Seahawks set up a great scheme that basically needed no adjustments during their legion of boom run on defense.

That being said, this is not that scheme, this is Vic Fangio's scheme which is designed to often be switching between cover 2 and cover 3 zone concepts and mixing some other stuff in as surprise change-ups.

And while I'm more conservative and want less chance and adjustment and to usually stick to the base... Barry is on the ultra extreme of that... delaying the adjustments,. waiting to see if they switch back or not for two more drives...

I agree with what you're suggesting should happen... but Barry adjustments are just way too late. And usually I'm the one suggesting they not make big changes...


Also, on a side note... since we drafted ILB Walker and he's basically a LB coverage specialist... I was absolutely sure they would throw in a couple of Tampa 2 Coverage... just as a change up. Maybe only run it 10 to 50 snaps all season... but still we would see it pop up some... I'm sad to say I haven't seen it once ... 


But I feel like Joe Barry play calling and Vic Fangio's system, do not match at all... Joe Barry needs to make adjustments faster in almost any system... but especially a system that's based on making more adjustments, is an extra bad fit for him.
UserPostedImage
Users browsing this topic
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (4h) : Jerry Jones said Mike McCarthy will call the plays and a version of the offenses he ran in Green Bay will be coming to Dallas.
Zero2Cool (5h) : We agree. 😁
Zero2Cool (5h) : lol me too man, I said it last year as well. YOU SEARCH IT BRUH!!!
dhazer (5h) : But Kevin you search back and you will see I was even saying this last year and most of this year lol
Zero2Cool (7h) : dhazer, thanks for reading my comments, appreciate it. care to repeat anything else I said? MR ECHO!!!!! (only teasing, work is slow, leave me alone)
dhazer (7h) : Well Rodgers wont retire now as Brady just announced his retirement. As i stated Rodgers ego wont allow him to be an opening act at the HOF ceremony
Zero2Cool (8h) : But yes, the location is likely because he has numerous friends in the area for Suspended Sunrise Recordings.
Zero2Cool (8h) : Rodgers does not have a house in/around Nashville. He allegedly bought land.
beast (8h) : Also, Rodgers already has a house around Nashville (I believe for his Music Record Business)
beast (8h) : With AFC Contender will offer the most for Rodgers? Jets is the logical answer, BUT Dolphins seem to be going all in, and Titans have been interested in Rodgers and really.use an upgrade
Zero2Cool (9h) : Tom Brady retires. Rodgers playing in2023. prediction
go.pack.go. (9h) : Well Leonhard was offered the DC job before Barry was hired. So it’s not unrealistic
buckeyepackfan (10h) : Brady officially retires "FOR GOOD"! Aaron will definately play 1 more year. But where?
beast (20h) : He's only coached one place... you usually don't go straight to a coordinator job unless an owner loves you (Jeff Saturday to head coach style)
Mucky Tundra (21h) : Saints get a 2023 1st rounder and a 2024 2nd rounder and give up Payton and a 2024 3rd rounder
Mucky Tundra (21h) : Looks like Sean Payton is going to Denver
Zero2Cool (22h) : You ask me a question and shows you didn't read fully what I said. Not nice!
Martha Careful (23h) : He would be a pro DC candidate
beast (31-Jan) : DC job in college... but probably not in the pros.
go.pack.go. (31-Jan) : Why would Leonhard want to come be a secondary coach when he could probably get a DC job somewhere else?
Zero2Cool (31-Jan) : If Jerry Gray leaves, fill the void with Jim Leonhard. Then if Joe Barry flounders, you got your replacement. Win-Win
Zero2Cool (31-Jan) : Packers’ Elgton Jenkins named to 2023 Pro Bowl in place of Eagles’ Landon Dickerson
Zero2Cool (30-Jan) : $17 million OVER the set Salary Cap for 2023. Sweet.
RickLM (30-Jan) : I'll give you the Chiefs and the Bengals, but despite the Niners kicking our ass - we've achieved what they have in the last few years
nerdmann (30-Jan) : With these young receivers, I'm not sure the Packers dropped off, maybe dipped a little until Dec.
nerdmann (30-Jan) : Cap will be $224.8 this year.
Zero2Cool (30-Jan) : Did they surpass the Packers, or have the Packers fallen off? It's not like Packers got 13 wins and those teams got 14 a piece.
packerfanwayoutwest (30-Jan) : you forgot the Lions
bboystyle (30-Jan) : Team like the Niners, Chiefs, and now Bengals have surpass the Packers. Its frustratng to see
Zero2Cool (30-Jan) : I KEED, I KEED!!! ... or ... am I?
Zero2Cool (30-Jan) : Officials just said there will be a do-over, game to be replayed in Atlanta.
packerfanwayoutwest (30-Jan) : Congratulations to the referee crew - the AFC Championship MVP.
Zero2Cool (30-Jan) : MVS accepted the highest contract offer, fortunately, it was with a damn good team with a BRILLIANT head coach. I love Andy Reid.
Zero2Cool (30-Jan) : I was pulling for Eagles/Bengals and Bengals winning. I despise the knoblicking Chiefs team
go.pack.go. (30-Jan) : MVS made the right decision to ditch Green Bay
umair_010 (30-Jan) : That game yesterday was clearly rigged by the refs. I had no investment in either team winning.
Martha Careful (30-Jan) : Bengal defense is really strong. Chiefs have run out of ideas and receivers'
buckeyepackfan (30-Jan) : Nobody saw or heard the ref. Stop the play.
buckeyepackfan (30-Jan) : Wow then def hold. Bengals got screwed. Have to see if it hurts
buckeyepackfan (30-Jan) : WTF do over?
nerdmann (30-Jan) : MVS lighting it up tonight.
Mucky Tundra (29-Jan) : 49ers QB Josh Johnson suffered a concussion
Mucky Tundra (29-Jan) : Eagles punch it in from the 1 and that should be game
Mucky Tundra (29-Jan) : Purdy back in the game for the 49ers
TheKanataThrilla (29-Jan) : And you couldn't think things could get worse for the 49ers?
Mucky Tundra (29-Jan) : Brutal stretch for 49ers: give up a TD inside the 2 minute warning, fumble on the next possession with another Philly TD
Mucky Tundra (29-Jan) : 49ers down to their 4th string QB Josh Johnson
beast (29-Jan) : I've wonder if something in the background didn't look great or if someone bad mouthed him... otherwise, I don't know why he dropped. Maybe, just maybe they didn't see him as a starter nor ST stud?
beast (29-Jan) : Also, he has played some passing down DT... he's very physical, very long, extremely smart hand usage and great effort... just not the most athletic.
Mucky Tundra (29-Jan) : He also has long arms which teams like on their edge players
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2022 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 11 @ 3:25 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Sep 18 @ 7:20 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Sep 25 @ 3:25 PM
Buccaneers
Sunday, Oct 2 @ 3:25 PM
PATRIOTS
Sunday, Oct 9 @ 8:30 AM
GIANTS
Sunday, Oct 16 @ 12:00 PM
JETS
Sunday, Oct 23 @ 12:00 PM
Commanders
Sunday, Oct 30 @ 7:20 PM
Bills
Sunday, Nov 6 @ 12:00 PM
Lions
Sunday, Nov 13 @ 3:25 PM
COWBOYS
Thursday, Nov 17 @ 7:15 PM
TITANS
Sunday, Nov 27 @ 7:20 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Dec 4 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Monday, Dec 19 @ 7:15 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Dec 25 @ 12:00 PM
Dolphins
Sunday, Jan 1 @ 3:25 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Jan 8 @ 7:20 PM
LIONS
Recent Topics
7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

8h / Around The NFL / wpr

31-Jan / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

31-Jan / Featured Content / Zero2Cool

31-Jan / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

30-Jan / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

30-Jan / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Jan / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

26-Jan / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Jan / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Jan / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Jan / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann

23-Jan / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann

22-Jan / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2023 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.