Zero2Cool
10 months ago
Tree A I want removed, stump too would be nice. Maybe I can get the Village to take care of it since it's close to two sets of power lines haha.

Tree's B and C are just annoying so they can go. Don't care about "stump" there.

Backyard2023.png You have insufficient rights to see the content.

Tree E is dead and I'd say probably 60-80 feet because it's about four times the height of my house to its tallest spot. 

Tree F is dead and not that tall. 

Tree D is too close to my house for comfort and I think it's dying.
 Frontyard202301.png You have insufficient rights to see the content. Frontyard202302.png You have insufficient rights to see the content.
UserPostedImage
dfosterf
10 months ago
Looks like A and E are your real problem children from the photos. The others look to me like knowledge friend work, but that's just based on what I can see from these photos. I've worked with arborists in the past, and I can say they never bullshat me.
Zero2Cool
10 months ago

Looks like A and E are your real problem children from the photos. 

Originally Posted by: dfosterf 

Yep. I think I could handle chopping the other ones down, but A and E present challenges. A because of the power lines. E because of well it's freaking massive.
UserPostedImage
dfosterf
10 months ago
If you do the stumps yourself you're going to need it for the day, not the 4 hour minimum.
Zero2Cool
10 months ago

If you do the stumps yourself you're going to need it for the day, not the 4 hour minimum.

I am not sure I'm confident enough to do stumps on my own.
UserPostedImage
dfosterf
10 months ago
The learning curve is rapid, but the work itself is physically tough. The bigger the grinder, the less actual work. You definitely would want self-propel. Stay the hell away from the thoughts of cutting down A and E though. As to the others, my opinion would be either use the professionals or get a friend that has experience felling trees with a chainsaw, not just using a chainsaw on already felled trees. Big difference.
Zero2Cool
10 months ago

The learning curve is rapid, but the work itself is physically tough. The bigger the grinder, the less actual work. You definitely would want self-propel. Stay the hell away from the thoughts of cutting down A and E though. As to the others, my opinion would be either use the professionals or get a friend that has experience felling trees with a chainsaw, not just using a chainsaw on already felled trees. Big difference.

I don't think I'd ever consider A and E on my own. I don't mind messing up my yard, but those two trees could cause issues with my neighbors. B, C, D and F I think I could slowly but surely get taken down without really much damage to anyone's property.  The stump grinder is $339 per day. At that point, I think it's probably just better to hire someone to do it rather than me piss away a weekend with a baby stump grinder.

That White Tree could do some damage to the house. I don't think too much. I won't risk that though. I'd probably rope it to the other two trees to ensure it falls the direction I want. If I did it myself, which I am 99% positive will not happen.
 image.png You have insufficient rights to see the content.
UserPostedImage
earthquake
10 months ago
The small stump grinders that you can rent from Home Depot (Toro SGR13) are easy to use and easy to move around a flat yard like yours appears to be. They take about as much effort as a push lawn mower, maybe a bit more. But as dfosterf notes, they cut slowly. So be prepared to spend hours at the larger stumps, and try to cut off as much material as you can with a chainsaw first (you can ask the arborist to do this if you don't want to run a chainsaw). Also, if renting, do yourself a favor and buy new cutting heads. The rental place may be able to swap them if you check and ask too. But generally, the ones you'll get are going to be very dull because nobody checks. If you have a trailer and can easily move around the larger grinders, that might be worth it. The small Toro will fit into the back of a truck easily or even a mid-sized SUV.

For the larger trees, consider getting them milled into lumber/slabs. This will depend on the tree but most hardwoods have some value, so you can sell them on Craigslist, FB marketplace, etc to woodworkers. You will save money with the arborist by not paying them to haul the larger logs to the dump or wherever they take them in your area. You might be able to find a local sawyer with a mobile sawmill who will come to your property and mill them for you. Or if you have a trailer, winch, and know how to use a peavey you can bring the logs to them. They may be able to kiln dry the slabs for you too (easier to sell/more valuable if dried). Some sawyers will be willing to pick the logs up too, but you might pay more for this. You might be able to find an arborist who will do all of this for you as well, or a sawyer who will do the work for free if they get to keep the lumber. Depends on the value of wood in your area though.

If you can tell me the types of trees I can tell you roughly how much demand there is for the lumber from woodworkers. The pine tree (B) and smaller shrub (C) are probably not worth anything but the larger trees could be. If you can't ID them yourself, post photos of the bark and the leaves.

Generally speaking, walnut is always in demand, as is cherry but sells for less, and maple is common but still may be worth a few dollars per board foot. I'm guessing the white tree is a birch, which is a nice wood to work with, but its trunk may be too narrow to make decent lumber. If it's a poplar of some type it's probably not worth anything.
blank
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
10 months ago
It's going to cost you a small fortune to have a professional remove them. I'd see if you can get a competent guy who will take them down for his wood stove. It will be more affordable.
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
10 months ago
Hey Kevin.
lauriejean brought up a point.
Did you check to make sure you can have these trees removed? Many towns have rules and regulations as to which trees can be removed.  A friend of ours had to get permits to have it done.
I don't know what it's like where you are, but be sure to cover all bases.

Our friend took years to get it all straightened out.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (3h) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (3h) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (4h) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (4h) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (5h) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (20h) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (20h) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (20h) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Stefon Diggs' trade will not be processed as a post-June 1 designation, so that is just over $31 million in dead cap this year.
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Bills trading WR Stefon Diggs to the Texans in exchange for a 2025 2nd-round pick. (via @rapsheet)
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18h / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.