Zero2Cool
14 years ago

Published: 08-07-08
http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/articles/show/2335- 

Transcript of the news conference with Brett Favre, Jets chairman and CEO Woody Johnson and Jets GM Mike Tannenbaum at Cleveland Browns Stadium before Thursday night's Jets-Browns game:

WOODY JOHNSON

I want to apologize for the interview that I did the other day where you asked me what was going on and I couldnt give you the answers. Now you can see there is an answer to what the questions were last week. Weve got Brett Favre as a new member of the Jets.

We went through this process for the same reason weve been running the team all along with Mike [Tannenbaum] and Eric [Mangini], to try to improve this team each and every year. I just want to say it was difficult with Chad [Pennington] because Chad came at the same time I did and we owe Chad a lot of gratitude for the dedication for his dogged, team-oriented persistence even in light of all the adversity that we had in some years. He was always concentrated and always a good teammate so thanks to Chad.

Today were here to talk about what were going to be doing going forward so Id like to toss it over to Mike and he can describe what has happened the last 24 hours.

MIKE TANNENBAUM

Thanks, Woody. I dont have much more to add since the last time we spoke. I dont know if weve gotten a chance to sleep since that time. It is a bittersweet moment. We have released Chad. I have spoken to him, Eric has spoken to him and Mr. Johnson has spoken to him and again, on the record, I have all the respect in the world for Chad and what hes done on the field as well as off the field. Hes a good player and a great person, hes done a lot of great things for our organization and I wish him nothing but the best.

Fundamentally, the decision was made between Eric, myself, and Mr. Johnson from a standpoint that if this opportunity presented itself, we felt we were getting good play at the quarterback position. We felt this was a good opportunity to improve that and thats why we went ahead and made the decision. We did a luminous amount of research on Brett as a player but also as a person and making sure we thought he could fit in the locker room. We were extremely comfortable not just with what he did on the field, but as importantly, what he did off the field and what he stands for.

We are happy. We are excited. Were really glad hes a member of this team. I can say on [Brett Favres] behalf that I think were all looking forward to getting past this stuff and going out there and playing some football.

BRETT FAVRE

Thanks, Mike and Mr. Johnson. The last 24 hours have been crazy. Really the last three weeks and this whole offseason has been bizarre or whatever you want to call it, but it is what it is. I am a member of the Jets. I am excited about it. Im excited about the opportunity, and no one works as hard as this man right here [Mike Tannenbaum]. I was told by numerous people to at least talk to Mike over the last month and, as I told him today, the only reason that I wouldnt talk to him up until 24 hours ago was because I knew how Id be convinced once I talked to him.

Did I ever think this scenario would present itself? No. Am I excited about the opportunity? Yes. Ive had a great career in Green Bay. That goes without saying. The things that have happened there this offseason, in my opinion, are over and done with. I wish them well. I will use their termwere moving forward. I hope that I play at the level that Ive always played at. Theres no guarantees, theres never been any guarantees for me. The game of football is just that and anything can happen, but Ill bring the leadership and durability. Im a little bit out of shape compared to all the other guys, but Im so excited about this opportunity and Ill tell you, my family and everyone involved has just been treated unbelievably by this organization. Ive never looked forward to doing a conditioning test as much as I have at this point [joking].

Im so tired of doing interviews and talking about this or talking about that. Tomorrow, hopefully, the mad rush is over and we can get that conditioning test at noon tomorrow. Im looking forward to that [joking] and we go on. The most important thing in this whole process is the guys in that locker room. I know some of these guys by name, Bubba Franks I played with and know personally, but I really dont know these guys and they dont know me. I think when they get to know me theyll like me and theyll like the way I play and theyll figure out that Ill do whatever it takes to win and its about the team. I hope after today and tomorrow that the distractions are at a minimum. Its ok to have attention as long as its based on this team and Im just one man, one of 53, so well see what happens and Im excited about the opportunity.

On the Packers fans moving on...

I cant answer that for them, all I can say is Ive always wanted to be a Packer. I think I always will be a Packer. Sixteen years is hard to forget for everyone and Id like to think that those 16 years, people will say its the best 16 years Ive ever watched. It was a lot of fun for me. I think it was made clear this offseason that they were moving forward. Some things happened in between that and thats OK and its time for me to move on. I had forgotten that I had been traded 17 or 18 years ago and what that process was like.

Its a little bit different scenario now but Im really excited. Its refreshing, not that I needed that. I think to the fans, I would say continue to be Brett Favre fans. There may be some who say no. And for those people, maybe they were not die-hard Brett Favre fans to begin with. Packer fans are Packer fans, theres a 40,000 or more waiting list for a reason and that will continue. Its a great tradition. Im thankful that I was a part of it. Im not a traitor. I never will be. Its a business and thats the way it works. I gave everything I possibly could give while I was there and I dont think people will question that and I hope that the Jet fans see the same thing and so I hope I continue to have fans all over, thats what we play for.

On if No. 4 will be retired in Green Bay...

I hadnt really thought about it. Im sure it will at some point but you know what, they talk about statues they talk about having streets [named after you]. Im not just talking about me, you hear that throughout sports, thats not what its about with me. Its like records I gained at Southern Mississippi. I look back and my experience there is much more important than the records and when and if that ever happens, great. I dont need a jersey retired, a statue or a street named after me or anything like that for people to remember me, for me to feel like Ive done something. I think the way Ive played, the way Ive handled myself is the most important thing, and I think it will be postponed for a while.

On why he wouldnt talk to Tannenbaum until 24 hours ago...

Ill tell you exactly why. The decision or decisions that were made this whole offseason, right or wrong, I knew I was going to be faced with another tough one, whereas if youre dealing with one team, the decision is easy. [James] Bus [Cook] would say at least talk to him. Several other people in this room said the same thing, talk to him. I told Bus that if I talk to him that were going to be scratching our heads saying now what do we do? I knew I would be convinced. Jon Gruden, I tip my hat to him too. It was a long time ago when we were working together but he sold me as well. Theres nothing more to it than that. I knew it would make it a real tough decision. Mike is a worker, I woke up this morning and the trigger was pulled.

On how he was convinced to come to New York...

I was never not interested in the Jets. I think my interest at first, Im sure as we all know, was to stay within our division. Maybe that was a little bit of a vindictive nature or competitive nature or whatever. I think in the end that was probably the wrong motive and I realized that was not going to happen. Thats only one or two games a year playing against your old team so you still have a lot more to play. It had nothing to do with other teams. I look at the talent level and believe me, I heard it from [Tannenbaum]. I was sent everything about the Jets you can imagine, it was sent to my house and he told me everything I needed to know.

He was convincing, I knew this team had a lot of talent. I knew they struggled last year and he went out and worked his tail off. I know hes worn out. Hes relieved now but I know at the end of the season hes going to be more relieved. There came a point when I realized my initial thoughts were not going to come true, that I had to look elsewhere. I havent played in New York. Im a south Mississippi boy. [Mike] came to my place today and he saw its a little bit different, its a little laid back. I know how tough it can be and I know how great it can be in New York city. Am I ready to face it, handle it and deal with it? I think so. I think its a great opportunity.

On being on a big stage in New York...

Kind of like the last month? [joking]. Green Bay is a small market but is there a bigger team? Ive been in front of a lot of media. Ive been in big games. Ive won big games. Ive lost big games. Ive had my share of criticism and glory. This is unique. I havent faced anything like this. I dont know anyone in this locker room and to a certain degree I really dont know what Im getting in to. Im talking about it from a team standpoint. What can I do in a short amount of time to get this team where we want to go and get myself ready? It doesnt matter what city its in. Im here for one reason, not to do commercials, Broadway, all those things. Im here to help the Jets win, thats why they got me.

On how he will get himself ready...

You have to dive into it. The only way youre going to know these guys, know how they play, know the coaches is to be in meetings, is to go to practice. Now Id be kidding myself if I thought after the second day I wouldnt be walking on eggshells, my feet will be hurting, shoulder will be hurting, all the fun things about camp. That is the way you build chemistry.

To me the most important aspect of winning is chemistry. You can have the best players possible, but it doesnt guarantee you wins. Chemistry, how you play together and I think the Giants are a good example of that. They started off shaky last year with the same guys. The chemistry got better and they got better. Were up against the clock. I want these guys to know me, know what Im about, how I play, what type of leadership I have. Im not going to call team meetings, Im not going to rah-rah, Im going to do what I have to do, pat guys on my back, hug them, pick them up off the ground and hope they do the same for me and hope thats enough to win.

On why things went bad in Green Bay...

Thats a good question. I think were probably both at fault. Im not going to sit here and blame it all on one side or the other. A lot of things happened this offseason, a lot of shocking things. I think were both at fault. Who is at fault more? Its a matter of opinion but I really think at this point its irrelevant. They probably are tired of talking about it. I know its great for the media, its a great soap opera but Ive got a lot of respect for the guys in Green Bay. I said last year and I said the year before that, that is was probably the most talented team Id ever played on and everybody thought I was crazy.

I still think the same. I think they have as good a chance as anyone in this league of getting back to not only where they were but to the Super Bowl. I had a lot of fun with those guys, the coaching staff. We had some differences between myself and a couple other people. But you know what? Theres nothing like Green Bay fans. That team is going to be good with or without me and it really serves no purpose to continue talking about it. I know people will try to fuel the fire throughout the season, but once again, Im here for one reason and thats to help the Jets win. I dont think they need to be asked questions about it. I hope that they are left alone so they can deal with what they have to deal with. The same thing for Green Bay, at some point it has to be let go.

UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (11h) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (11h) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (11h) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (12h) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (13h) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Stefon Diggs' trade will not be processed as a post-June 1 designation, so that is just over $31 million in dead cap this year.
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Bills trading WR Stefon Diggs to the Texans in exchange for a 2025 2nd-round pick. (via @rapsheet)
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

9h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.