Martha Careful
a month ago
Bill Huber wrote

Quality Linebackers, Cornerbacks Available in NFL Free Agency for Packers

The Green Bay Packers handled one of their biggest offseason needs by signing safety Xavier McKinney. Here’s a look at the free-agent landscape at other positions of need on defense.

GREEN BAY, Wis. – For all the resources poured into the Green Bay Packers’ perpetually mediocre defense, including the big-splash signing of safety Xavier McKinney on Monday, there are more holes for general manager Brian Gutekunst to fill.

Here are some options who were available as Day 2 of NFL free agency started on Tuesday. All ages are as of Sept. 1.

Linebackers
From former first-round picks to future Hall of Famers, the linebacker position is strong even with Jordyn Brooks, Frankie Luvu, Azeez Al-Shaair and Blake Cashman off the board.

The Packers need a linebacker. Their under-contract linebackers are Quay Walker, Isaiah McDuffie and Christian Young.

Patrick Queen, Baltimore Ravens, 25: The 2020 first-round pick has started all 67 possible games in his four seasons, with 454 tackles, four interceptions and five forced fumbles. During a Pro Bowl 2023, he recorded a career-high 133 tackles along with 3.5 sacks, nine tackles for losses, one interception and one forced fumble. He’s coming off back-to-back seasons of six passes defensed. He’s a bit small but he’s athletic and creates plenty of mayhem.

Devin White, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, 26: A first-round pick in 2019, White started all 17 games in 2021 and 2022 but things went astray last year, when he recorded a career-low 83 tackles in 14 games. Still, his track record is strong. He had career highs of nine sacks, 15 tackles for losses and 140 tackles in 2020, was a Pro Bowler in 2021 and added 124 tackles, 5.5 sacks and eight tackles for losses in 2022. In five years, he has 23 sacks, six forced fumbles and three picks.

Lavonte David, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, 34: All 12 seasons have been spent with the Bucs with 33.5 sacks, 12 interceptions, 28 forced fumbles and almost 1,500 tackles on his resume. That’s great. But what has he done lately? In 15 games in 2023, he had 134 tackles, including 4.5 sacks and 17 tackles for losses. Even with just one Pro Bowl on the resume, he’s one of the all-time greats.

Bobby Wagner, Seattle Seahawks, 34: Wagner is another of the all-time greats. In 12 seasons, he’s piled up 1,706 tackles, including 33 sacks and 89 tackles for losses, along with 13 interceptions and 68 passes defensed. After one year with the Rams, he returned to Seattle in 2023 and led the NFL with 183 tackles. He did have a career-low three passes defensed last year and hasn’t forced a fumble since 2021. The last five seasons, he’s missed only one game.

Jerome Baker, Miami Dolphins, 27: In six seasons in Miami, the 2018 third-round pick had 100-plus tackles three times and totaled five interceptions, six forced fumbles and 21 passes defensed. In 13 games last year, Baker recorded 78 tackles, with 1.5 sacks and two tackles for losses. He had a career-high two interceptions but only three passes defensed.

Josey Jewell, Denver Broncos, 29: In three seasons in which he’s been a regular starter, the 2018 fourth-round pick had 113 tackles in 2020, 128 tackles in 2022 and 108 tackles in 2023. His best season was 2022, when he had both career interceptions and set career highs with four passes defensed and seven tackles for losses. In 2023, he forced two fumbles but had only two TFLs and three passes defensed.

Willie Gay, Kansas City Chiefs, 26: A second-round pick in 2020, Gay’s role on the defense has been more important than the numbers would suggest. He set career highs with 88 tackles, 2.5 sacks and nine tackles for losses in 2022. In 2023, he had 58 tackles in 16 games. He has four interceptions and two forced fumbles in four seasons.

Cornerbacks
Other than Jaylon Johnson re-signing with the Bears and L’Jarius Sneed getting the franchise tag, the cornerback market is almost fully intact after Day 1. Of the top players, only Chidobe Awuzie and Ronald Darby are off the board.

Kendall Fuller, Washington Commanders, 29: A third-round pick in 2016, Fuller has played corner, slot and safety in his career. He recorded 10 interceptions and 49 passes defensed as a full-time starter the last four years in Washington. SportRadar charged him with a 68.8 percent completion rate and 120.4 rating in 2023; it was 55.4 percent and an 87.1 rating in 2022.

Stephon Gilmore, Dallas Cowboys, 33: A first-round pick in 2012, Gilmore led the NFL with six interceptions in 2019 and has three consecutive years of two interceptions. Last year with Dallas, he had two picks and 13 passes defensed. SportRadar charged him with a 55.8 percent completion rate and 82.7 rating. That rating is pretty good. It’s also his worst over the past six seasons.

Adoree Jackson, New York Giants, 28: A first-round pick in 2017, Jackson has only four interceptions in seven seasons. He had one pick in eight passes defensed in 14 games in 2023. He hasn’t hit double-digits passes defensed since 2019. SportRadar charged him with a 65.9 percent completion rate – but 52.1 percent in 2021 and 51.7 percent in 2022 – with a 95.5 rating. He can play outside and in the slot.

Ahkello Witherspoon, Los Angeles Rams, 29: A third-round pick in 2017, Witherspoon finally stayed healthy after playing in only 34 games the past four years. In 17 starts, he had three interceptions and 14 passes defensed. SportRadar charged him with a tremendous 48.1 percent completion rate and 75.7 passer rating. Now, can he stay on the field and do it again?

Keisean Nixon, Green Bay Packers, 27: An undrafted free agent in 2020, Nixon made his mark as an All-Pro kick returner in 2022. In 2023, he took over in the slot and was the All-Pro returner again. In 17 games with 13 starts, he intercepted one pass with six passes defensed and added 80 tackles. SportRadar charged him with a 77.8 percent completion rate and 104.8 passer rating.

Jourdan Lewis, Dallas Cowboys, 29: A third-round pick in 2017, Lewis had three seasons and 11 passes defensed – both career highs – in 2021. In 2022 and 2023, he has a total of two interceptions and six passes defensed in 22 games. In 16 games last year, he allowed a completion rate of 62.0 percent with a 93.9 passer rating. He’s one of the better slot defenders available in free agency, though that’s not saying much.

Xavien Howard, Miami Dolphins, 31: A second-round pick in 2016, Howard is a four-time Pro Bowler and was an All-Pro in 2020, when he led the NFL with 10 interceptions and 20 passes defensed. He added five picks and 16 PBUs in 2021 and back-to-back years of one pick and 12 PBUs. According to SportRadar, he allowed a 62.9 percent completion rate and 81.3 rating.

Steven Nelson, Houston Texans, 31: A third-round pick in 2015, Nelson matched his career high with four interceptions and added 12 passes defensed in 2023. According to SportRadar, he allowed a 61.4 percent catch rate and a 73.3 rating in 2023 and just three touchdowns the past two seasons.

Kristian Fulton, Tennessee Titans, 25: A second-round pick in 2020, Fulton intercepted four passes during his first three seasons and broke up 14 in 2021. Last year, however, he had zero interceptions and five passes defensed. It was terrible timing for a terrible season. SportRadar charged him with a 75.5 percent completion rate and 114.1 passer rating.

At LB, I love bringing in Wagner, less so White, and drafting a kid to learn behind them in the 3rd or 4th round
Go Packers!!!!
beast
a month ago

Bill Huber wrote
At LB, I love bringing in Wagner, less so White, and drafting a kid to learn behind them in the 3rd or 4th round

Originally Posted by: Martha Careful 

Most.of the LBers listed are already signed. Does Wagner play MLB?

I'm not against it, but I thought something said the Packers are going to look younger, which would be the opposite of Wagner.

White has all the physical potential, but sounds like there are some questions about if he's mentally willing to stay within a scheme, and mentally blowing coverages, and some rumors or claims that he quit on the team ... which considering they made the playoffs makes no sense.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (10h) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (13h) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (15h) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (17h) : Flag?
Martha Careful (17h) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (17h) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
beast (21-Apr) : Can't tell if this is real or BS, but some rumors about a possible Patriots/Vikings trade for #3 overall
dfosterf (21-Apr) : One playbook to my knowledge. I was shooting for facetious.
beast (20-Apr) : I'm not sure they have different playbooks for different OL positions, and Dillard run blocking is supposedly worse than his pass blocking..
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

23h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

26-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

24-Apr / Random Babble / beast

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.