Martha Careful
13 days ago
Draft Pick ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,...................................... Martha's Thoughts
Rd 1: No. 25- Jordan Morgan, OT, Arizona -- Great Pick, Great Feet, Fills a Need and a good guy and leader
Rd 2: No. 45-Edgerrin Cooper, LB, Texas A&M -- Best LB in the draft and we need them but dumb
Rd 2: No. 58- Javon Bullard, S, Georgia -- Best S in the draft and we need them
Rd 3: No. 88-MarShawn Lloyd, RB, USC -- I love this pick, a slasher and great receiver
Rd 3: No. 91 (from BUF)-Ty’Ron Hopper, LB, Missouri -- Head Scratcher, a waste IMO, and dumb
Rd 4: No. 111 (from NYJ)-Evan Williams, S, Oregon -- I like the pick…we need S's
Rd 5: No 163 (from BUF)-Jacob Monk, C, Duke -- Good Pick for IOL depth and a leader
Rd 5: No. 169-Kitan Oladapo, S, Oregon State -- More Safety depth
Rd 6: No. 202-Travis Glover, OT, Georgia State - Not a chance, a wasted pick
Rd 7: No. 245-Michael Pratt, QB, Tulane -- Like the pick as an emergency QB
Rd 7: No. 255--Kalen King, CB, Penn State -- Burnt like toast against quality recs. a Safety?

Overall
Overall, I would give it a B. Higher if we had gotten a true corner and hadn't wasted two pick. I think they must feel Stokes will be healthy and the Valentine will step up. I also think we may see a lot of 3 safety looks in our new defense.

Go Packers!!!!
beast
13 days ago
I wonder what the Vegas Odds are for Packers drafting a CB in Round 1 in 2025, one might consider it.
UserPostedImage
earthquake
13 days ago
"Best LB in the draft and we need them but dumb"

I'm not quite sure how to reconcile the "but dumb" part of this note. Best LB in the draft the mid-second, where good LBs usually go, when LB is a clear need. What's dumb about that? I assume you wanted a CB there instead?
blank
earthquake
13 days ago
I found it interesting that they took three safeties. Two wasn't a surprise but the third seemed a little goofy. I wonder if they view one of them as more of a nickle? Or light LB? That would make sense except they took two LBs too.

About that - two LBs before day three was surprising as well. I guess in a 4-3 you need 3 LBs so it makes some sense, but I expect they'll play more of a 4-2-5 the majority of the time. So I only expected 1 in the first three rounds.

A little surprised that they didn't take a single edge or DL. I guess this answers the question of whether they think they have the right guys to play on the defensive line in the new system.

A few OL to the surprise of absolutely no one. No WRs or TEs as expected as well.

Overall I like the draft just fine.
blank
beast
13 days ago

I found it interesting that they took three safeties. Two wasn't a surprise but the third seemed a little goofy. I wonder if they view one of them as more of a nickle? Or light LB? That would make sense except they took two LBs too.

About that - two LBs before day three was surprising as well. I guess in a 4-3 you need 3 LBs so it makes some sense, but I expect they'll play more of a 4-2-5 the majority of the time. So I only expected 1 in the first three rounds.

A little surprised that they didn't take a single edge or DL. I guess this answers the question of whether they think they have the right guys to play on the defensive line in the new system.

A few OL to the surprise of absolutely no one. No WRs or TEs as expected as well.

Originally Posted by: earthquake 

I was racking my brain trying to figure out why these players/positions and I think I figured it out, and if I'm correct it's all due to scheme.

I think the Packers lacked the players and depth to fit the scheme, and the scheme that draft makes the most sense to me is Tony Dungy schemes cover 2 or Tampa 2.

The DL is all about penetration, forcing them to get the ball out of the pocket. They also blitz a lot to help, including run blitzes.

The coverage is off zone, watching and reading the offense knowing they'll have to get the ball out quickly and their job is to read it, and rally to the ball and either make a play on the ball or make a quick tackle.

It's all about speed and attacking and the guys we got fit that perfectly.

These players don't make sense in a non-attcking system.

And I'm not 100% sure, but I believe those schemes played more 4-3 base than other schemes as they have athletic 4-3 OLBs which can match up better on WRs than other as schemes. So yes, we might be seeing Walker or one of the rookie LBers match up on a WR from time to time.

Three Safeties is for multiple reasons... including other then the one FA, we don't have any Safeties we can trust. S Bullard's best spot might be the nickel slot CB role, but he can also play FS, and probably SS. The other two Safeties are probably best at SS.

Also this years changes on STs has teams thinking speed will matter less on Kickoffs and they can use more Safety and athletic LBers on STs, just what we drafted.

And if those S talked about above can't match up with the WRs, then it's time for those SS to play some coverage LB role.

Which again, all that will include some blitzing.

UserPostedImage
Martha Careful
13 days ago

"Best LB in the draft and we need them but dumb"

I'm not quite sure how to reconcile the "but dumb" part of this note. Best LB in the draft the mid-second, where good LBs usually go, when LB is a clear need. What's dumb about that? I assume you wanted a CB there instead?

Sorry, in a desire for brevity, I was unclear. I should have said "the gentleman drafted is not bright, low Wonderlic and scouts think he is not a defensive signal caller." Dumb applied to the gentleman selected, not the pick.

Go Packers!!!!
bboystyle
13 days ago

I was more curious as to why we took two RBs when we have jacobs, dillion and wilson....
beast
13 days ago

I was more curious as to why we took two RBs when we have jacobs, dillion and wilson....

Originally Posted by: bboystyle 

Remind me whom was the 2nd RB that we took?

Also to my earlier comments, I guess it's most likely we're running the 49ers 4-3 Cover 3 that they took from the Seahawks when Hafley was last in the NFL defenses.
UserPostedImage
bboystyle
13 days ago

Remind me whom was the 2nd RB that we took?

Also to my earlier comments, I guess it's most likely we're running the 49ers 4-3 Cover 3 that they took from the Seahawks when Hafley was last in the NFL defenses.

Originally Posted by: beast 

Picked up an undrafted RB for no real reason.
beast
13 days ago

Picked up an undrafted RB for no real reason.

Originally Posted by: bboystyle 

Huh? ALL 32 teams pick up camp bodies for depth because they need camp bodies as top many injuries happen already, even more will happen if you force guys to take more snaps.

I don't know why anyone would be complaining about camp bodies, it's not like they'll have a chance to be on the 53 man roster (unless they're good enough).
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.