Rockmolder
14 years ago
I hope this is up to standard with the other articles that have been written here. I haven't seen a new one on the front page in a while and thought I'd give it a shot, since I was bored anyway.

Might be getting a bit old with all the talkd we had about this subject already, but I enjoyed writing it. And if you find any dumb spelling or gramatical mistakes, please, point them out to me.

Some things you can be sure of. The Lions not going the the play-offs. The Vikings inability to win a Superbowl and Ted Thompson not trading up in the draft

Well, apparently those things just got plausible. Thompsons trade up to the 26th pick shocked many and got a lot of mixed receptions. Especially because of the amount of picks given up and some glaring holes along the O-line, which couldnt be fixed before the 4th round this way. The 4th round, ofcourse, is usually to draft for the future instead of direct starters.

But still, was this a good draft? Or should Ted have stuck to his old style and just taken the best player on the board when the Packers had to pick. And if nothing to his liking there, trade back. It got us some quality players that contributed to the Packs very successful 13-3 season. But also our quite disappointing 6-10 season. The verdict is still out there, but in my eyes, hes been a very good drafter so far and straying from something that works is always risky.

First of all, the Packers own first rounder. They selected BJ Raji, a big and dominating DT from Boston College. I believe this was more a pick of need than the best player available, even though Ted Thompson denies it. Crabtree is just an amazing talent and shouldnt have dropped out of the top 8 (Looking at you, Oakland and Jacksonville). Sure, he had some injury problems. That made me a little hesitant as well. Nonetheless, he was the best player available. Other options here where Oher, Maybin, Orakpo or Jenkins.

That said, Raji was still a pick of great value at 9. Many mock drafts had him going to Bengals, who desperately need a pass rusher and run stopped, or to the Jaguars, who still have a hole at DT by trading away Marcus Stroud. Also, it was one of our bigger needs. Hell play either NT or DE in his first season and will beef up a D-line that was struggling mightily last year. With the addition of Raji, our front 7 will look a lot fiercer already.

The other front 7 player, Ted had to trade up for to get. Giving up 41st, 73rd and 83rd overall to obtain the 26th and 162nd from the Patriots. Some people thought, and still think, that the Pack gave up to much here. I disagree. Clay Matthews is an exceptional talent and very athletically gifted. He can step in directly, stay our there in a nickel package and get some pressure on the QB when needed, which will result in a less one-dimensional rushing attack than we had last year. Whenever you can get a player you scouted and had on the board at the 9th pick and can get him with the 26th, you should jump on it directly. And that is exactly what he did.

Given, our 2nd round picks have been very successful in the past, but who was there at that point to fill that void left open opposite of Kampman? Everette Brown was there. An undersized, one-dimensional DE/OLB from Florida State. Please see Jamal Reynolds. Clint Sintim was an option, but he doesnt have the cover and run stopping skills that Matthews III has. William Beatty was still on the board and that is a player who wouldve been able to help our O-line immediately on the right side, but overall, there was no one even coming close to Clays skill.

What really should be looked at is what the Pack couldve gotten with their 3rd rounders. There where no great players on the board at this point and our extra 5th rounder eventually got us a OT with 3rd round talent, Jamon Meredith. He allegedly had some character issues, but seems to be on the right way.

The rest of the players selected by Green Bay where TJ Lang in the 4th round. One of the better interior linemen in this draft who has made some impressive progression throughout his college career. FB Quinn Johnson in the 5th round. A devastating run blocker out of LSU. In the 6th round DE Jarius Wynn. Currently a slightly unknown player. Not to impressive throughout either his college career or with his drills. Brandon Underwood, drafted in the 6th round aswell. A bit of a question mark at his own position, DB, but one of the better special teams players available. A very good gunner in college. And lastly, LB Brad Jones in the 7th. Another very solid special teams players.

You cant really give a draft a grade at this point. Itll need 3 years, at least, before you can make any sensible statements, but at this point, Im very satisfied. Thompson has been building a solid foundation and appears to be putting the final pieces of the puzzle together. This has been the most aggressive draft that Packers fans have seen in a while and I like it. I like it a lot.

Detlev Dimmitry, Packershome.com

dfosterf
14 years ago
Detlev:

Ik zou niet beginnen dit openbaar te verbeteren. Ik wens dit ik uw tweede taalvaardigheden had. U kunt me met uw e-mailadres persoonlijk contacteren Ik zal u " verzenden; my" versie van uw opmerkelijk artikel. Natuurlijk word ik gedwongen om vissen te gebruiken Bable om dit aan u te vervoeren in een zuivere benadering van uw inheemse tong. Goed uitgevoerd, de heer!

Dave

(And yes, I am laughing at how that translates)

+1
Rockmolder
14 years ago
I'm both laughing and horribly confused.

I can make just a little out of that.

'Ofcourse I am forced to fish use Bable to transport this in a clear approach to your native tongue.'

Someone needs to put some work in the grammatics of that translator or so.
Rockmolder
14 years ago
Ok, this is after my editorial staff has been over the article. (Ty Foster-Dave!)

Some things you can be sure of. The Lions are not going to the play-offs. The Vikings inability to win a Super bowl , coupled with Ted Thompson not trading up in the draft

Well, apparently those things just got plausible. Thompsons trade up to the 26th pick shocked many and got a lot of mixed receptions. Especially because of the amount of picks given up and some glaring holes along the O-line, which couldnt be fixed before the 4th round this way. The 4th round, of course, is usually to draft for the future instead of direct starters.

But still, was this a good draft, or should Ted have stuck to his old style and just taken the best player on the board when the Packers had to pick? Or if nothing was to his liking there, trade back. It got us some quality players that contributed to the Packs very successful 13-3 season, but also our quite disappointing 6-10 season. The verdict is still out there, but in my eyes, hes been a very good drafter so far, and straying from something that works is always risky.

First of all, the Packers own first-rounder. They selected BJ Raji, a big and dominating DT from Boston College. I believe this was more a pick of need than the best player available, even though Ted Thompson denies it. Crabtree is just an amazing talent and shouldnt have dropped out of the top 8 (Looking at you, Oakland and Jacksonville). Sure, he had some injury problems. That made me a little hesitant as well. Nonetheless, he was the best player available. Other options here were Oher, Maybin, Orakpo or Jenkins.

That said, Raji was still a pick of great value at 9. Many mock drafts had him going to the Bengals, who desperately needed a pass rusher and run stopper, or to the Jaguars, who still have a hole at DT due to trading away Marcus Stroud. Also, it was one of our bigger needs. Hell play either NT or DE in his first season and will beef up a D-line that was struggling mightily last year. With the addition of Raji, our front 7 will look a lot fiercer immediately.

Ted had to trade up for the other front 7 player. Giving up a 41st, 73rd and 83rd overall to obtain the 26th and 162nd from the Patriots. Some people thought, and still think, that the Pack gave up too much here. I disagree. Clay Matthews is an exceptional talent and very athletically gifted. He can step in directly, stay our there in a nickel package and get some pressure on the QB when needed, which will result in a less one-dimensional rushing attack than we had last year. Whenever you can get a player you scouted and had on the board at the 9th pick and can get him with the 26th, you should jump on it directly, and that is exactly what he did.

Given Our 2nd round picks have been very successful in the past, but who was there at that point to fill that void left open opposite of Kampman? Everette Brown was there. An undersized, one-dimensional DE/OLB from Florida State. Please see- Jamal Reynolds. Clint Sintim was an option, but he doesnt have the cover and run stopping skills that Matthews III has. William Beatty was still on the board and that is a player who wouldve been able to help our O-line immediately on the right side, but overall, there was no one even coming close to Clays skill.

What really should be looked at is what the Pack couldve gotten with their 3rd round picks. There were no great players on the board at this point and our extra 5th rounder eventually got us an OT with 3rd round talent, Jamon Meredith. He allegedly had some character issues, but seems to be heading the right way.

The rest of the players selected by Green Bay were:

TJ Lang in the 4th round. (One of the better interior linemen in this draft who has made some impressive progression throughout his college career.)

FB Quinn Johnson in the 5th round.( A devastating run blocker out of LSU.)

In the 6th round DE Jarius Wynn. (Currently a slightly unknown player Not too impressive throughout either his college career or with his drills.)

Brandon Underwood (Drafted in the 6th round as well. A bit of a question mark at his own position, DB, but one of the better special teams players available. A very good gunner in college.)

And lastly, LB Brad Jones in the 7th. (Another very solid special teams players.)

You cant really give a draft a grade at this point. Itll need 3 years, at least, before you can make any sensible statements, but at this point, Im very satisfied. Thompson has been building a solid foundation and appears to be putting the final pieces of the puzzle together. This has been the most aggressive draft that Packers fans have seen in a while and I like it. I like it a lot.

Detlev Dimmitry, Packershome.com

Rockmolder
14 years ago
Some things you can be sure of. The Lions are not going to the play-offs. The Vikings inability to win a Super bowl , coupled with Ted Thompson not trading up in the draft

Well, apparently those things just got plausible. Thompsons trade up to the 26th pick shocked many and got a lot of mixed receptions. Especially because of the amount of picks given up and some glaring holes along the O-line, which couldnt be fixed before the 4th round this way. The 4th round, of course, is usually to draft for the future instead of direct starters.

But still, was this a good draft, or should Ted have stuck to his old style and just taken the best player on the board when the Packers had to pick? Or if nothing was to his liking there, trade back. It got us some quality players that contributed to the Packs very successful 13-3 season, but also our quite disappointing 6-10 season. The verdict is still out there, but in my eyes, hes been a very good drafter so far, and straying from something that works is always risky.

First of all, the Packers own first-rounder. They selected BJ Raji, a big and dominating DT from Boston College. I believe this was more a pick of need than the best player available, even though Ted Thompson denies it. Crabtree is just an amazing talent and shouldnt have dropped out of the top 8 (Looking at you, Oakland and Jacksonville). Sure, he had some injury problems. That made me a little hesitant as well. Nonetheless, he was the best player available. Other options here were Oher, Maybin, Orakpo or Jenkins.

That said, Raji was still a pick of great value at 9. Many mock drafts had him going to the Bengals, who desperately needed a pass rusher and run stopper, or to the Jaguars, who still have a hole at DT due to trading away Marcus Stroud. Also, it was one of our bigger needs. Hell play either NT or DE in his first season and will beef up a D-line that was struggling mightily last year. With the addition of Raji, our front 7 will look a lot fiercer immediately.

Ted had to trade up for the other front 7 player. Giving up a 41st, 73rd and 83rd overall to obtain the 26th and 162nd from the Patriots. Some people thought, and still think, that the Pack gave up too much here. I disagree. Clay Matthews is an exceptional talent and very athletically gifted. He can step in directly, stay our there in a nickel package and get some pressure on the QB when needed, which will result in a less one-dimensional rushing attack than we had last year. Whenever you can get a player you scouted and had on the board at the 9th pick and can get him with the 26th, you should jump on it directly, and that is exactly what he did. [url=index.php?name=Pro_News&aid=103]Read More...[/url].
zombieslayer
14 years ago
Good read Rock. Well, I do think we can grade the '09 draft after the '09 season. Why? We got 2 1sts. If Raji can plug the middle and Matthews can generate enough pressure that Kampy sees single teams, the '09 draft is an A. You'll see a whole different team.

First rounders are expected to contribute immediately. These two should. Raji should start, and Matthews at the very least will be a difference maker on our STs.

Our O already is #5. We needed D, especially run stuffing and a pass rushing threat. I agree with you that it's too coincidental that our needs happened to be BPA. I don't buy the BPA religion. I know there are lots of people on this board who swear by it, but as I've said before, there are exceptions to EVERY rule, and 2009 was an exception.
Ted Thompson saw this, and he did the right thing. I gave him an A, and this is coming from someone who gave him a C- or even D+ for 2008.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
DarkaneRules
14 years ago
Yeah 2008 was kind of lame but I would go C there because I don't believe in plus or minuses and D seems to harsh to me. Agreed on the good read!
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
Rockmolder
14 years ago
I don't know if you can make a statement about this draft class after the first year. I think Matthews will be a great contributer, like he should be as a first rounder, but I also think that he'll struggle quite badly in pass rushing.

He didn't do a whole lot of that, has some technique things that need to be polished and has to get around some of the finest LTs. We're playing the Vikings twice, the Rams and the Browns to name a few.

EDIT : Oh yeah, for them to get an A+, I'd like to see at least one or two of the later round guys develop into viable players aswell. I'm think about Meredith when polished and Quinn Johnson here. Maybe Lang at guard and some good special teams contribution from our last two picks.
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (17h) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (18h) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (21h) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (23h) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
beast (21-Apr) : Can't tell if this is real or BS, but some rumors about a possible Patriots/Vikings trade for #3 overall
dfosterf (21-Apr) : One playbook to my knowledge. I was shooting for facetious.
beast (20-Apr) : I'm not sure they have different playbooks for different OL positions, and Dillard run blocking is supposedly worse than his pass blocking..
dfosterf (19-Apr) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (19-Apr) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (18-Apr) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (18-Apr) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

21-Apr / Fantasy Sports Talk / dfosterf

21-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.