Cheesey
14 years ago

The guy is still healthy, why chance it? What can he gain?

"zombieslayer" wrote:

Padding records.

See Jerry Rice.

"Cheesey" wrote:

Padding records.........at what cost? If he gets seriously injured, will it be worth it? And playing with the Vikings............will he "pad" any record, except maybe the interceptions one?
Maybe he will prove me wrong. Last year 22-22 TD's to INT's showed he's not what he once was. And i don't believe "Chili" in Minnesota has the gonads to reel him in when he gets wild.
JMO of course.
UserPostedImage
zombieslayer
14 years ago

Padding records.........at what cost? If he gets seriously injured, will it be worth it? And playing with the Vikings............will he "pad" any record, except maybe the interceptions one?
Maybe he will prove me wrong. Last year 22-22 TD's to INT's showed he's not what he once was. And i don't believe "Chili" in Minnesota has the gonads to reel him in when he gets wild.
JMO of course.

"Cheesey" wrote:

Cheesey - I completely see where you're coming from.

But a lot of athletes aren't exactly right in the head. See Muhammed Ali for instance.

Before those last 5 games, he was looking pretty dang good. If his bicep is anywhere near 100%, I'm guessing (keep in mind, this is a guess and has NO factual information whatsoever) that the '09 Favre will be closer to the '07 Favre than the '08 Favre when it comes to throwing ability.

What Favre has lost - the ability to break tackles. Remember in '07 how Favre was able to pretty much dodge every sack out there and still complete a pass? Well, in '08, he'd go down with a single touch, pretty much easier than any other QB in the NFL.

One more thing - I'm not saying Favre coming back is right. I'd love to see him play just because he's so dang fun to watch. But if he got seriously hurt, I'd be majorly bummed. That's the chance you take in the NFL though. All it takes is one play. It's not just Brett Favre. It's everybody.

How many players' careers can you think of off the top of your head that were ruined with one play? And how many were still in their prime?

It's a chance they all take.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
porky88
14 years ago
I kind of felt he was overrated up until the New England game last year or at least average. He gave everything he had in that game and followed it up with a performance just as good against the Titans. No doubt did Favre start to come around, but then it fell apart.

The problem with Favre right now is I think he was deeply hurt by what the Packers decided to do. I don't need "hard evidence" right in front of me to connect the dots. All I need is a little.

1. He hasn't contacted Aaron Rodgers or won't talk to him at all. That just seems messed up. Clearly, Favre has his reasons, but I bet they have to do with Rodgers being chosen over him.

2. He went on Foxnews right away it seemed like and just trashed the Packers organization. I mean he really did go after Thompson. It seems they clashed right away and have for awhile.

3. He and McCarthy met for what seemed like awhile and both couldn't set aside differences. What those were are still kind of unknown which various reports out there.

4. I heard a report from a guy who covered the Jets last year that Favre couldn't get through a press conference without mentioning the Packers and not in the most flattering way either. Heard this on the radio here in Green Bay.

5. Bus Cook. Seems like a high profile QB's under his watch always has problems with their teams. Favre and the Packer, McNair and the Titans, and now Cutler and the Broncos No doubt he's a good agent, so is Drew Rosenhaus and by all accounts everyone despises him.

So if you factor all that in I would say Favre wants payback. I think right now he's having trouble letting it go as in what the Packers did to him. I don't think adjusting to life after football is what's make this a difficult decision. He is wondering whether or not he can go to Minnesota and beat the Packers and still be the Icon that he is in Green Bay.

He cares about his legacy. He doesn't want that tarnished in Green Bay.
zombieslayer
14 years ago
Porky - As much as I love Favre and want him to play, not contacting Aaron Rodgers pisses me off. I completely understand Favre being pissed at TT. Seriously, I side more with Favre than Ted Thompson on the whole thing. I know Favre is a primadonna. As far as I'm concerned, he's earned that right to be one. Until Ted Thompson gets us a Lombardi, I'll give more props to Favre than TT. But geez, Aaron Rodgers did nothing wrong whatsoever. He just happened to be there.

Hats off to Aaron for keeping his cool about the whole thing. He's showing he's a mature kid. I know I wasn't that mature at that age.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
TheEngineer
14 years ago

I personally think Brett will keep playing until he totally bombs, Him having a great first 11 games last year showed he could still play thus making him want to play more. There is really nothing wrong with that after all thats what we fell in love with, His competitive spirit.

"dhazer" wrote:

I know you like Brett, but gee, lay off the deification 😉
blank
ILikeThePackers39
14 years ago

I kind of felt he was overrated up until the New England game last year or at least average. He gave everything he had in that game and followed it up with a performance just as good against the Titans. No doubt did Favre start to come around, but then it fell apart.

The problem with Favre right now is I think he was deeply hurt by what the Packers decided to do. I don't need "hard evidence" right in front of me to connect the dots. All I need is a little.

1. He hasn't contacted Aaron Rodgers or won't talk to him at all. That just seems messed up. Clearly, Favre has his reasons, but I bet they have to do with Rodgers being chosen over him.

2. He went on Foxnews right away it seemed like and just trashed the Packers organization. I mean he really did go after Thompson. It seems they clashed right away and have for awhile.

3. He and McCarthy met for what seemed like awhile and both couldn't set aside differences. What those were are still kind of unknown which various reports out there.

4. I heard a report from a guy who covered the Jets last year that Favre couldn't get through a press conference without mentioning the Packers and not in the most flattering way either. Heard this on the radio here in Green Bay.

5. Bus Cook. Seems like a high profile QB's under his watch always has problems with their teams. Favre and the Packer, McNair and the Titans, and now Cutler and the Broncos No doubt he's a good agent, so is Drew Rosenhaus and by all accounts everyone despises him.

So if you factor all that in I would say Favre wants payback. I think right now he's having trouble letting it go as in what the Packers did to him. I don't think adjusting to life after football is what's make this a difficult decision. He is wondering whether or not he can go to Minnesota and beat the Packers and still be the Icon that he is in Green Bay.

"porky88" wrote:

If that last bit I bolded is true (and I think it is), it would be very unrealistic of him to assume that he could go to a division rival after publicly stating that he wants some sort of 'revenge' and not tarnish that legacy in the eyes of many fans. We're not talking black and white/right from wrong, here - we're talking about how Packers fans will react to their favorite QB intentionally going to a hated rival for the express reason of screwing their team over.

Yes, I know his beef is with management and not the team or the fans. But he HAS to know that going to Minnesota and beating the Packers 2X is going to hurt the team and fans more than it will the team's management.

Let me be clear, here: I wouldn't personally hold it against him - I can see where he's coming from and I realize he's just a man. But I am nowhere near as rabid as the average fan. It won't be fair and I don't think he'll deserve it, but many fans will see him as a Judas if he does it.
blank
porky88
14 years ago

"ILikeThePackers39" wrote:

If that last bit I bolded is true (and I think it is), it would be very unrealistic of him to assume that he could go to a division rival after publicly stating that he wants some sort of 'revenge' and not tarnish that legacy in the eyes of many fans. We're not talking black and white/right from wrong, here - we're talking about how Packers fans will react to their favorite QB intentionally going to a hated rival for the express reason of screwing their team over.

Yes, I know his beef is with management and not the team or the fans. But he HAS to know that going to Minnesota and beating the Packers 2X is going to hurt the team and fans more than it will the team's management.

Let me be clear, here: I wouldn't personally hold it against him - I can see where he's coming from and I realize he's just a man. But I am nowhere near as rabid as the average fan. It won't be fair and I don't think he'll deserve it, but many fans will see him as a Judas if he does it.

"porky88" wrote:

Yeah I'm with you. I wouldn't care at all mostly because I think at 40, Favre isn't going to make the Vikings this Super Bowl contender that a lot of people think they're going to be. 40 year old QB's don't win postseason games so that's my thinking in that. I have to admit though IF Favre were to lead Minnesota into Lambeau Field in the postseason and win, I'd feel pretty mad. Not sure at who though, but I don't expect that to happen.

Some fans have taken this personal especially when they're reports out there that Favre can't stand Green Bay. Obviously that means the front office and the writer is just trying to make some noise, but still, some fans take that as an insult.

I think Favre is taking him time right now and kind of watching the situation in Green Bay and seeing what the reaction is. If he thinks they'll get over it he'll play.

I also think he wants to make sure he doesn't have to play in OTA's or mini camp. He wants out of those.
ILikeThePackers39
14 years ago

I think Favre is taking him time right now and kind of watching the situation in Green Bay and seeing what the reaction is. If he thinks they'll get over it he'll play.

I also think he wants to make sure he doesn't have to play in OTA's or mini camp. He wants out of those.

"porky88" wrote:

Both make sense - I will say that IMO the second is the bigger deal to him. He does NOT want to deal with the offseason any more than he has to (which does make one wonder how committed he really is, given the effort he put forth prior to the 2007 season, but that's a different debate).

I would like to think that if he saw that the GB fans, or a significant number thereof, were willing to turn against him if he went to Minny, that he would decide against it. I fear, though, that he would react like he did w/ Thompson, and it would only fuel his passion to do it. I just think he's one of those guys who'll go and try to do whatever you tell him he can't - or shouldn't - do. I'm one of those guys, so I can relate.
blank
Fan Shout
dfosterf (1h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (1h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (2h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (4h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (5h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (8h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (9h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (19h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.