wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
15 years ago
I was just looking at the stats and the job they did really stands out.

Blackmon's punt return for a TD leads the way. If he avgs 26 a return all year long he will make the Pro Bowl for sure.

There was nothing wrong with Frost's punts tonight. 5 times for 45.2 gross and a 42.6 net. All told MN only had 13 return yards on his punts. Great punt coverage.

Gotta love Crosby's kickoffs. 5 times with all 5 in the end zone. (That's the NFL.com stats. I think one of the kickoffs was just short of the goal line but the kick returner took a step back with one of his feet and stepped on the goal line.) 2 of the kickoffs were touchbacks.

About the only negative was this msised FG at end of the 1st half.

GB kickoff return numbers were also better than MN's. I kind of hoped that Nelson would break a big one but maybe he will do so in game where it is the margin of victory.
UserPostedImage
tromadz
15 years ago

About the only negative was this msised FG at end of the 1st half.

"wpr" wrote:

And Mike Stock will be all over that this week. I like that old guy.
Greg C.
15 years ago
Yeah, the special teams were huge. Further proof that Thompson is right to keep players on the roster mainly because of their special teams play. Jason Hunter had a great block at the end of Blackmon's return, allowing him to take it to the house.
blank
millertime
15 years ago

Yeah, the special teams were huge. Further proof that Thompson is right to keep players on the roster mainly because of their special teams play. Jason Hunter had a great block at the end of Blackmon's return, allowing him to take it to the house.

"Greg C." wrote:

There were about 4-5 great blocks on that return. Blackmon has definitely emerged as a weapon in the return game. If Nelson can improve in the KR game, we will have a very dangerous team.
NodakPaul
15 years ago
I think that special teams should be given props. That punt return TD turned out to be the difference in the game.
"There's the snap, Rodgers with a quick drop - in trouble! AND SACKED BY ALLEN! The ball is lose, the ball is lose, and recovered by Kevin Williams! And that's the ball game! Childress and the Vikings FINALLY beat the Packers!"
--
Greg C.
15 years ago

"millertime" wrote:

There were about 4-5 great blocks on that return. Blackmon has definitely emerged as a weapon in the return game. If Nelson can improve in the KR game, we will have a very dangerous team.

"Greg C." wrote:

I read somewhere that everybody's favorite whipping boy (including mine), Jarrett Bush, made one of the blocks on that return. So it might be argued that keeping this awful CB on the roster has paid off with seven points, which was more than the margin of victory. Let's just go ahead and admit it, folks: Ted Thompson is smarter than us.
blank
zombieslayer
15 years ago

I think that special teams should be given props. That punt return TD turned out to be the difference in the game.

"NodakPaul" wrote:

The irony. Last year's Week 1, we played sloppy and won because of STs. Weird.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
warhawk
15 years ago
I have said our depth is more important than many give us credit for.

The analysts and reporters all talk about offensive and defensive matchups but only occasionally speak of ST's and depth as factors in a teams success.

I will say again that in most cases we will be suiting up 45 guys that overall are better than the 45 on the other sidelines. We many not have the best defense or the best offense on the field in any one game but in MOST games we will win two of three as rarely will other teams be as strong in that third phase as we are.

We used to be about dead last in overall ST's productivity. Since Mike McCarthy came in and changed all that we have been in nearly every game and there's more to that than coincidence.
"The train is leaving the station."
Tiger
15 years ago

I have said our depth is more important than many give us credit for.

The analysts and reporters all talk about offensive and defensive matchups but only occasionally speak of ST's and depth as factors in a teams success.

I will say again that in most cases we will be suiting up 45 guys that overall are better than the 45 on the other sidelines. We many not have the best defense or the best offense on the field in any one game but in MOST games we will win two of three as rarely will other teams be as strong in that third phase as we are.

We used to be about dead last in overall ST's productivity. Since Mike McCarthy came in and changed all that we have been in nearly every game and there's more to that than coincidence.

"warhawk" wrote:

well yah that was because our starters were sub NFL ST Quality never mind starting quality! :D

But yah you gotta love our coverage team, i love how John Kuhn is mixing it up on every Kickoff or Punt, hes an enforcer! and when u team him with guys like Hall and Rouse and Bishop you've got guys who run all day.

I really think the ST squad needs a nickname ala the defensive "Death Squad"..any suggestions? 😛
blank
agopackgo4
15 years ago
Special teams, are definitily important in the recipe for success in being champs. Look at '96 when we won the superbowl. Desmond Howard great kick returns..The rest of the specaial teams were good as well. But that battle for field position is so important. And if you can win that with special teams, it takes a lot of pressure off of your offense. Makes the field shorter, and a lot easier to score. Even if it is just a FG.
Fan Shout
dfosterf (1h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (1h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (2h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (5h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (5h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (8h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (9h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (19h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.