bigfog
  • bigfog
  • Registered Topic Starter
15 years ago
I'm still giddy over last night's win, but I thought I'd start some discussion on the upcoming Sunday match up.

Detroit lost to the Falcons on Sunday, who were led by rookie Matt Ryan. Ryan played well, completing 9 of 13 passes for 161 yards and 1 TD. Obviously, being a rookie, Ryan's play book was reeled in a bit, but in his first start he wasn't bad.

Running backs Michael Turner and Jerious Norwood did most of the heavy lifting for the Atlanta offense. Turner ran for 220 and 2 TDs, and Norwood provided 93 yards and a TD. Essentially, the Lions D was run over, around and through, leaving nothing but a greasy spot on the floor of the Georgia Dome.

The offense of the Lions was mostly successful through the air. Kitna threw 22 passes for for 262 yards and 2 TDs. He also had an interception and was sacked by John Abraham 3 times.

Detroit's rushing offense still pines for Barry Sanders, as their top runner, Kevin Smith, managed 48 yards on 16 carries. He did provide one TD however. Rudi Johnson, in his Lion debut, carried 3 times for 14 yards.

Stacking the Lions against the Packers, it will be interesting to see how Ryan Grant and co fair against the Lions run defense. If Turner and Norwood can do what they did, I'll be interested in seeing what Mike McCarthy has cooked up.

Aaron Rodgers, of course, will be one to watch as well. The last time Green Bay fans were able to watch a quarterback mature, was a long long time ago. I hope that Rodgers displays more of the same play that he had on Monday night and last year's game against the Cowboys.

I really hope that Rodgers doesn't have the same tendency to go nuts in a dome like Favre did. Say what you will about Favre outdoors, when he stepped into a dome, he just seemed out of his element. Last season in Dallas, Rodgers played fine in a stadium that's half-dome and half-not. I hope he displays the same tenacity in Detroit.
"I wouldn't root for the Minnesota Vikings to win a chess match against Nazi Germany."
porky88
15 years ago
I think this is a good game to really use Grant and Jackson in. I have high expectations for both of them. I wouldn't mine seeing Grant see about 20 to 25 carries and Jackson getting at least 10 on his own. I think Rodgers is going to have a small workload to deal with but then again a QB always has to be on their toes because of Detroit mans up, we'll have to throw.

I would assume they'll be putting an emphasis on stopping the run this week too.

Defensively I thought GB handled the best RB in the NFC pretty good so Kevin Smith doesn't really put much fear into me in my opinion.

Really it's going to come down to Harris and Woodson vs. Williams and Johnson defensively. It'll be interesting how the Lions try and utilize their receivers on them.
zombieslayer
15 years ago
MM will gameplan accordingly. He's really good at finding weaknesses and exploiting them.

I think their weaknesses are obvious. Expect Aaron to throw under 20 passes. Expect Grant and Jackson to have a lot of fun. Expect Kampy to get his 2nd sack.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
brnt247
15 years ago
I think the Pack will play it like they normally do. Short and efficient passes with a couple of deep balls, and a few stretch plays with Grant hitting a home run or two.
blank
johnny_blood
15 years ago
Unless the Lions shock us and jump out to a big lead, Rodgers isn't going to throw many passes. They are going to hammer the run game here.

Rodgers isn't going to really fling it until the Dallas game.

The Lions look terrible and are probably going to get dominated.
blank
bigfog
  • bigfog
  • Registered Topic Starter
15 years ago
Anyone think that there will be a Lumpkin sighting in this game?
"I wouldn't root for the Minnesota Vikings to win a chess match against Nazi Germany."
Packnic
15 years ago
I think we will throw the ball maybe 35 times Sunday against the Lions.

They will be working all week on shoring up the run game so that Ryan Grant wont kill them.

Meanwhile M M staying 2 steps ahead of his competition as usual will have a passing attack from every angle. out of the backfield, over the top, on slants and lots of short stuff.

expect the unexpected and expect to see the BIG 5! in action early and often.
blank
Rios39
15 years ago
I'd spread it out. Jones back would be huge. He's a pretty big component that we missed in short yardage situations maybe a gain of 6-7 on a slant or curl or out route. IMO we missed that aspect as Jennings is more of a HR hitter. Driver is more similar to Jones.
blank
gbpfan
15 years ago
if the d-line steps up i see kitna on the ground alot kamp will get a sack or 2 kgb will snag him our o-line i agree think they will run the ball alot :icon_smile:
warhawk
15 years ago
Think they miss Shawn much there in the middle of the DL?

These are the kind of games Mike McCarthy can use all the negative plays against the Vikes to keep them focused. We need focus because we don't always play that great in Detroit and it's a look-ahead game which doesn't help.

Thank God it's not Thanksgiving.
"The train is leaving the station."
Users browsing this topic
    Fan Shout
    Zero2Cool (6h) : Chase Young to sign $13M contract with Saints
    Zero2Cool (6h) : Yosh to Panthers what noooo. Wait he didn't do crap
    wpr (18-Mar) : I say that he is technically HER BIL as he married her sister. I checked it out, he's considered my BIL as well. Sad.
    Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : wpr, I assume its your BIL via marriage to your wife? If so, I can figure out where the smarts in the family went ;)
    wpr (18-Mar) : Mucky my B-I-L is Bare Stupid. I could write a book.
    Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : As a teenager in Rockford IL I would get heckled by adults in public for wearing GB gear
    Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : if you think the online ones are bad, try *living amongst* them
    Mucky Tundra (18-Mar) : Never doubt wprs loyalty. Poor guy is surrounded by Bears fans in Northern IL
    wpr (17-Mar) : pass Martha. Thanks for the invite though.
    Martha Careful (17-Mar) : blog * as the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Baer
    Martha Careful (17-Mar) : WPR, perhaps you should be joining the Bears fans blog has the same ugly Illinois colors were adopted by the Bears
    Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : Ah a fellow U of Illinois hater. I can respect that though I imagine it's for different reasons
    Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : BTW. I didn't catch the game. I just hate Illinois.
    Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : They're your Big Ten Chumps and you will like it!
    Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not for the record. Referee's handled that BS. Orange team was trash ass
    Mucky Tundra (17-Mar) : *Your* Big Ten Chumps for the record
    Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : No, not Big Ten Champs. IL is big ten CHUMPS
    wpr (17-Mar) : Big Ten Champs
    wpr (17-Mar) : !!!
    wpr (17-Mar) : INI
    wpr (17-Mar) : ILL
    Martha Careful (17-Mar) : Wisconsin with an outstanding on in the men’s Big Ten basketball tournament. Let’s hope it continues in the NCAAs
    Zero2Cool (17-Mar) : Almost like taking QB in 2020 even if you don't need one is good move.
    Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : 2021 QB Draft class looking like a real clunker
    Mucky Tundra (16-Mar) : A conditional 6th rounder? I remember Bears fans arguing they'd get a day 2 pick at worst lol
    dfosterf (16-Mar) : So I got the no extension part right and the have to wait on the CW physical wrong
    Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Bears are trading Justin Fields for a 2025 6th-round pick that goes to a 4th-round pick based on playtime, per sources.
    Zero2Cool (16-Mar) : Former Packer Jarrett Bush opens Wisconsin’s first blow dry bar in Green Bay
    dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are not doing a deal with Washington, they also cannot trade Fields until Williams physical with them. All hail Caleb Williams!
    dfosterf (16-Mar) : The talent is undeniable, but the (advertised) haul is obscene.
    dfosterf (16-Mar) : If the Bears are cutting a deal with the Commanders, in either scenario, cannot happen until williams passes a Commanders physical
    dfosterf (16-Mar) : My guess is no to the Fields extension, but yes to the trade back with the Commanders.
    dhazer (15-Mar) : I think the Bears do a Love extension and they will trade out of the 1st pick and take the haul
    Martha Careful (15-Mar) : that might make sense
    Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Justin Fields to Steelers?
    Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Kenny Pickett. Eagles. Done.
    Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : They can claim best two WR tandem.
    Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : Aaron Donald retiring
    dhazer (15-Mar) : Campbell signing with 49ers
    dhazer (15-Mar) : I love how the Bear Fans are now claiming they have the best skill players in the NFC North lol
    Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Vikings made a move to get a 2nd first round pick
    Mucky Tundra (15-Mar) : That's a not a bad deal for the Bears
    Zero2Cool (15-Mar) : Bears have traded for WR Keenan Allen sending Chargers a fourth rounder.
    Martha Careful (15-Mar) : *signs
    Martha Careful (14-Mar) : MLB Devon White science with the Eagles
    Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : But that was before FA started
    Mucky Tundra (14-Mar) : Dhaze, I thought Kurls would be their #1 target when I read that he was an Amos comp (jack of all trades guy)
    dhazer (14-Mar) : I would like to see the Packers target 2 more FA still available Kamren Curl Safety and Chase Young edge
    Martha Careful (14-Mar) : wow...didn't see that coming
    Zero2Cool (14-Mar) : AJ Dillon re-signing with Packers.
    Please sign in to use Fan Shout
    2023 Packers Schedule
    Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
    Bears
    Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
    Falcons
    Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
    SAINTS
    Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
    LIONS
    Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
    Raiders
    Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
    Broncos
    Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
    VIKINGS
    Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
    RAMS
    Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
    Steelers
    Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
    CHARGERS
    Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
    Lions
    Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
    CHIEFS
    Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
    Giants
    Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
    BUCCANEERS
    Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
    Panthers
    Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
    Vikings
    Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
    BEARS
    Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
    Cowboys
    Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
    49ers
    Recent Topics
    2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-Mar / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

16-Mar / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

15-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

14-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
    Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.