beast
14 years ago

I tend to forget that we even have Harrell on the roster. You're right, though. Harrell would make a viable NT.

The thing about the weigth is this. I can't think of a NT under 310 pounds. The smallest NT on the Ravens' roster is 315. The smallest one on the Jets roster is 320. The smallest one on the 49ers roster is 317 and they're not even succesfull. I can live with anything over 310, although 325 and over is perfect for me. 295 is way too much of a reach for me. Anything under 310 is for me.

A lot of numbers in this post, but you get my point.

"Rockmolder" wrote:

I think a fully healthy and in shape might be #3 NT on the team.

And did all of them start at that weight? No... some linemen even NT come out at under 290 and add weight. I think somebody said Brian Soi added 30 pounds or so since college.

As a big man myself trust me pounds come easy to gain and lose.... Harrell talked where he when up over 10 pounds just from a couple of BBQ since it was summer.
UserPostedImage
Rockmolder
14 years ago

He's 6'3 and 295 LBS. That's less than Cullen Jenkins. Maybe he has the frame to put on some weigth, but I still remember the way that went with Foster's favorite.

"Rockmolder" wrote:

That's pretty much what I said. I think it's mainly a misunderstanding here. :D

I get your point totally, and I think that this is a great way to find hidden gems in the draft. After putting on 30 pounds, they could come out as completely different players.
beast
14 years ago

He's 6'3 and 295 LBS. That's less than Cullen Jenkins. Maybe he has the frame to put on some weigth, but I still remember the way that went with Foster's favorite.

"Rockmolder" wrote:

That's pretty much what I said. I think it's mainly a misunderstanding here. :D

I get your point totally, and I think that this is a great way to find hidden gems in the draft. After putting on 30 pounds, they could come out as completely different players.

"Rockmolder" wrote:

I guess I misunderstand "Foster's favorite".... but watching some film of Dean Muhtadi in college he really reminded me of Jenkins (but looked strong (then again he's going against college guys while Jenkins going against NFL players) but he looked like a stronger raw version of Jenkins.
He looked like a non-stop motor guy. You can watch tape and a lot of players quit on some plays even in their "high lights" you can see where they could of went harder.

I didn't see Muhtadi stop really ever in the little I saw. He's a strong guy with not a lot of pass rush moves nor a lot a time... but he gave up being a future star at a small school to go to Maryland and has GREAT grades.
UserPostedImage
beast
14 years ago

http://PackersHome.com/index.php?name=ForumsPro&file=viewtopic&t=4501&highlight=Twinkies

He was pretty high on the guy.

"Rockmolder" wrote:

Who is he? And what does Fred Bledsoe have to do with it?
UserPostedImage
Rockmolder
14 years ago

http://PackersHome.com/index.php?name=ForumsPro&file=viewtopic&t=4501&highlight=Twinkies

"beast" wrote:

"Rockmolder" wrote:

I'm being a bit unclear, but you ought to have seen dfosterf post around here. He's one of the moderators. Fred Bledsoe was one of his dark horse players. Or at least, that's what I got out of it.

He gained 20 pounds, but it didn't work out. That's why I'm a little hesitant to have a back-up who still has to gain weigth, while not having any guys that are on weigth and are solid 3rd stringers.
beast
14 years ago

"Rockmolder" wrote:

"beast" wrote:

I'm being a bit unclear, but you ought to have seen dfosterf post around here. He's one of the moderators. Fred Bledsoe was one of his dark horse players. Or at least, that's what I got out of it.

He gained 20 pounds, but it didn't work out. That's why I'm a little hesitant to have a back-up who still has to gain weigth, while not having any guys that are on weigth and are solid 3rd stringers.

"Rockmolder" wrote:

O I say don't keep them if their not ready with what they got now or they don't think they'll develop. Honestly I don't think Dean Muhtadi has much change for a roster spot but I'm thinking PS.
UserPostedImage
earthquake
14 years ago

Biggest thing for me was that Jolly is listed as a DE. He could still play NT, I guess, since he is 310. From what I've seen so far, both Raji and Pickett will be starters, meaning that you can hardly see that as depth at a position.

Then we have the other two guys. One is pretty undersized and underweigth for the position (see my last post), although it still is a possibility. The other one is a NT/DE and that's with a reason. He doesn't have the weight by far. He's 6'3 and 295 LBS. That's less than Cullen Jenkins. Maybe he has the frame to put on some weigth, but I still remember the way that went with Foster's favorite.

I don't think that we'll need 6 players to have decent depth, 3 is enough, maybe stash one on the practice squad. It just doesn't look that impressive to me right now.

"Rockmolder" wrote:

Well i think what you're dealing with here, is 6-7 total players on the dline.
So what you end up with is probably 2 true NT body types.

Picket
Raji

And 4 DE body types
Jenkins
Jolly
Harrell
Wynn?

And if they run with a 7th player, someone like Muhtadi who is listed as NT/DE would be a natural choice imo.

So your NT depth looks like, theortically of course:
Picket
Raji
Jolly
Muhtadi

You dont run with 4 true NTs when its only 1/3rd of the defensive line.

But yeah, like i've said a few times now, i DO think they stash a NT body type player on the PS.

They're going to play the best players they have on the line. Starters you would think would be:
Raji, Picket, Jenkins

Now if two of those guys go down/are hurt when the season comes around, you're right its pretty poor depth. But you lose 2 starters/quality backups at any position on the team and its a serious problem, not really much moreso for the Dline than anywhere else.

[edit] Alford Malone is still on the roster at 6-4 312, i think another guy you figure for that 7th DE/NT position.
blank
earthquake
14 years ago

From what I've seen so far, both Raji and Pickett will be starters, meaning that you can hardly see that as depth at a position.

"Rockmolder" wrote:

Just to address this specifically;

I think you have to play your best players, at all times.

If picket comes goes down, your best lineup is then:

Jolly, Raji, Jenkins.

So yeah, Raji is definitely NT depth in my mind. You switch to your 2nd best NT, and third best DE, before you go to your 3rd Best NT. Your 3rd best DE is still 2nd team, while your #3 NT is third team. You'de have to be 2 players down before you ever want to see your #3 NT in the game. If he is even active at all on the 45 man roster.
blank
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Stefon Diggs' trade will not be processed as a post-June 1 designation, so that is just over $31 million in dead cap this year.
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Bills trading WR Stefon Diggs to the Texans in exchange for a 2025 2nd-round pick. (via @rapsheet)
beast (3-Apr) : Using Patterson as RB and RB/WR tweener... so I think they also signed Patterson as a 3rd down RB, not just a kick returner as articles are
beast (3-Apr) : I think PFT missed the real Steelers/Patterson connection, Steelers new OC Arthur Smith has been Patterson's head coach the last 3 years
wpr (2-Apr) : It has Martha. I was stunned when I was in HS to learn Iowa was still playing half court BB in the 70's.
Martha Careful (2-Apr) : Caitlin Clark, Angel Reese...women's sports has come a long way. GREAT TO SEE!!
Martha Careful (31-Mar) : Happy Easter everyone. I hope you all have a great day.
dfosterf (28-Mar) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (28-Mar) : Yes
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : No.
Mucky Tundra (28-Mar) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (28-Mar) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

12h / Random Babble / Martha Careful

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

23h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

10-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

8-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

5-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

5-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

4-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

4-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

4-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.