warhawk
  • warhawk
  • Senior Member Topic Starter
14 years ago
We touch on it from time to time and it's been brought up that the 3-4 personnel can help us here but one thing that has to improve greatly is the SPECIAL TEAMS PLAY.

I read an article on another site and did not realize how bad we were in this area. The article sited the stats and we were in the upper 20's in every catagory and dead last in kickoff returns.

The "hidden yardage" factor in how many yards we gained and how many we gave up on punts and kickoffs was pathetic. We oftened bordered on 200 yards and you can't win games doing that.

One good thing for Slocum is there is no where to go but up.

I know we lost two games for sure with the blocked gimme at Chicago and the two long kickoff returns late to Carolina. It looks like we have some big legs in camp so maybe we can find a punter that can kick it out of his shadow and hopefully Crosby can become clutch for us.

It would be nice to see a few long kickoff returns like we saw fairly often in '07 but rarely did anyone get loose on returns last year.

We have some great athletes so Slocum needs to put this unit together and make it an asset vs. a liability.
"The train is leaving the station."
14 years ago
You're right, kickoff returns were sad. It was usually: Run up to the 25, try to make a move, fail, and go down. Punt returns weren't too awful. Blackmon broke a few and I don't see him going anywhere but up this year after getting a year behind him to help with his confidence (btw - nice to see he also got an INT in that last open OTA practice).

What's strange is that I was under the impression that our ST coverage was near the top in 2007, and the beginning of 2008, and then it plummeted for whatever reason(s). I honestly think it may have just been an effect of a disappointing mid-season where we lost close games and slipped in the standings after going 13-3. Well, that combined with some injuries. I don't know if it's scheme related - not a good judge of ST play design.
UserPostedImage
warhawk
  • warhawk
  • Senior Member Topic Starter
14 years ago
Teams like Chicago live off of ST's and turnovers. If the Bears were not as efficient as they are in ST's they would get pummeled but they hang in a lot of games by getting big returns and turnovers on ST's.

If we do get back to a playoff quality team we will have to do better here and especially at least break even with teams in this area if we do get to the post season.

ST's become huge in game 17 when you absolutely cannot afford to lose those return and kick coverage battles.
"The train is leaving the station."
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
Speaking of "hidden yards," I don't even want to look at the statistic of how many return yards we lost last year to illegal blocks in the back and other senseless penalties. (Seriously, people, they call it every time -- get a clue already!)

Had you been able to find someone gullible enough to go along with it, you could have made yourself a decent chunk of change betting on a penalty every single return. You would have won more than you lost, that's for sure.
UserPostedImage
14 years ago
My blood is boiling now nonstop. That's one of those penalties (holding on a kickoff return) that you pretty much assume is taking place somewhere every return. I used to get so pissed off at the Packers getting screwed by it every game. Hell, I'm still pissed off.
UserPostedImage
PackerFan
14 years ago

Teams like Chicago live off of ST's and turnovers.

"warhawk" wrote:

That's because the Bears had no offence. I'm still not convinced that Jay made that much of a difference, we will see how the season played out.

But one thing is for certain, we NEED to get better on special teams. If you ask me our ST hasn't really been good since the Super Bowl years. '07 was the exception, but still we haven't really had good ST in a long while. It seems we always fizzle out at the 20-25 yard line and that just pisses me off.
blank
Dulak
14 years ago

Teams like Chicago live off of ST's and turnovers.

"PackerFan" wrote:

That's because the Bears had no offence. I'm still not convinced that Jay made that much of a difference, we will see how the season played out.

But one thing is for certain, we NEED to get better on special teams. If you ask me our ST hasn't really been good since the Super Bowl years. '07 was the exception, but still we haven't really had good ST in a long while. It seems we always fizzle out at the 20-25 yard line and that just pisses me off.

"warhawk" wrote:

ST and penalties crushed us last year (especially the first part of the season).
PackerTraxx
14 years ago
Good points. Hidden yards are one of the reasons Barry Alvarez did so well at UW. Wish we could get a really good ST coach and personell it would really help. Maybe the new changes will help.
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
Fan Shout
dfosterf (1h) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (2h) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (18h) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (18h) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (18h) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (19h) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (19h) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

15h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

22h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.