Zero2Cool
15 years ago

[img_r]http://cmsimg.greenbaypressgazette.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=U0&Date=20080912&Category=PKR01&ArtNo=809130406&Ref=AR&Profile=1058&MaxW=318&Border=0[/img_r]The most important part of returning punts and kickoffs is taking care of the ball and avoiding the game-changing turnover.

But to go from competent to good in the return game, an NFL team needs a viable threat to break a big run, and the Packers' Will Blackmon has shown that kind of ability since finally getting healthy enough to handle those duties last December.

The oft-injured Blackmon has taken back two punts for touchdowns in the Packers' last five regular-season games, including his 76-yarder in the Packers' 24-19 win over Minnesota on Monday night that swung that game.

This isn't to proclaim Blackmon another Devin Hester when was the last time the NFL had a return man as special as Chicago's Hester? but he's nevertheless proving to he not only won't lose games, but also can win them.

Though the correlation between a victory and a touchdown on a special-teams return is surprisingly small for the NFL at large, according to Mike Eayrs, the Packers' director of research and development, it becomes much stronger if two teams are evenly matched.

"The game Monday night is a classic example," Eayrs said. "In terms of explosive gains, it was pretty close; we had the one additional takeaway. When the game is that tight in production, it's almost always going to be decided on special teams."

Last year, for example, Eayrs reports that teams were 22-33 in games in which they scored on special teams. But when only playoff teams are counted, they were 10-7.

Eayrs said there's no correlation for the league as a whole because teams trying to rebuild their rosters often improve first on special teams because of their youth and speed, but struggle longer on offense and defense. So, they lose despite special-teams touchdowns because they can't score or get enough stops. But if teams are relatively equal, a big return can be the difference.

"It's such a demoralizing thing for the other team," said Mike Stock, the Packers' special teams coach. "That's a fact."

Blackmon's emergence in the return game could be critical for a Packers team looking to go back to the playoffs after a 13-3 season but undergoing a major change with Aaron Rodgers succeeding Brett Favre at quarterback.

Last year, the Packers' vastly improved special teams were a major factor in at least three wins, beginning with almost single-handedly winning the season opener against Philadelphia. The Packers recovered two fumbled punts deep in Eagles territory that led to 10 points, including the game-winning field goal with 2 seconds left in a 16-13 win.

The other two were over Carolina and Oakland. Tramon Williams had a 94-yard touchdown on a punt return in the 31-17 win over Carolina, and Blackmon had two scores a 57-yard punt return, and an end-zone recovery of a punt fumbled by the Raiders in a 38-7 win over Oakland.

Special teams also played a crucial role in at least one loss, at Chicago, when on a frigid and blustery day at Soldier Field, Jon Ryan had two punts blocked and a 9-yard punt on another after mishandling the snap in a 35-7 loss.

Blackmon's touchdown against the Vikings gives the return game a prominent and perhaps difference-making role in one win. The Packers were ahead of Minnesota only 10-6 about halfway through the third quarter when Blackmon fielded Chris Kluwe's low 49-yard punt. He went untouched on his cut-back return, putting the Packers ahead by two possessions at a time when the offense was struggling.

"It got the energy back in the building is the big thing," Rodgers said.

When Blackmon came back from a broken thumb and then later a broken finger last year, he was primarily a punt returner and averaged 13.3 yards on his eight attempts. He had only one kickoff return. But this year, he's doing both he and Jordy Nelson are the deep tandem on kickoffs. Blackmon had three kickoff returns against the Vikings for a 23.0-yard average.

The main issue is whether Blackmon's health will hold up. Besides the two injuries last year, he had a broken foot that sidelined him for 12 games in his rookie season in 2006.

Blackmon (6-foot, 206 pounds) appears to have the makings of a top returner for several years. Stock has been a special teams coach in the NFL for 13 years, and up to now, the best return man he's coached was Tamarick Vanover (6-0, 220), who from 1995 to 1999 returned four punts and four kickoffs for touchdowns.

"(Blackmon's) potential is in that category," Stock said. "He's not as big Tamarick was 225 pounds and could run fast. But (Blackmon) has got more speed, a quicker first step and he's every bit as explosive if not more so. He's got good vision, makes good judgments. Right now, he's carrying the ball high and tight, secures it well, so as far as I'm concerned he's a young stud. Hopefully we can ride him hard and heavy and he can stay healthy."

Sean Jones was on TheFan today and said while watching Blackmon return that punt Monday night it reminded him of the Packers '96 season when we were running back kick/punt returns.
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
15 years ago
Think about it..........how important was Desmond Howard during the SB31 run?
A guy like that can change the game in one play.
UserPostedImage
TengoJuego
15 years ago
Exactly Cheesey...Not to mention field position could be one of the most important factors in a game.
Greg C.
15 years ago
Good article. Interesting what they wrote about how rebuilding teams that are not yet good on offense and defense tend to be better on special teams because they have a lot of young, athletic players. The Packers have the best of both worlds. Their offense and defense are both very good, but they are the youngest team in the league (tied with the Chiefs this year), and they keep some players on the roster mainly for their special teams play (White, Hunter, Bush, Blackmon).
blank
Bigbyfan
15 years ago
Remember the years when our special teams was one of the worst in the league and Antonio Chatman was running back punts? Our GM was Mike Sherman I think at the time.
blank
dhpackr
15 years ago
Blackmon's return was the first special teams TD in a long time. I hope he can continue to stay healthy, the guy was a very gifted aqthlete in college, now if he can just stay on the field he could make the all pro team as a special teams freak
So if you meet me Have some courtesy, Have some sympathy, and some taste
Use all your well-learned politesse, Or I'll lay your soul to waste
Greg C.
15 years ago

Remember the years when our special teams was one of the worst in the league and Antonio Chatman was running back punts? Our GM was Mike Sherman I think at the time.

"Bigbyfan" wrote:

There have been a lot of lean years since Allen Rossum left, which was in 2002, I think. Sherman was very outspoken about not wanting to keep players on the roster solely (or even mostly) for their special teams ability. He even insisted that Rossum had to be ready to play corner in the dime defense if needed in order to secure a roster spot. Ted Thompson has a much different approach, which seems to be working out much better.
blank
Packers_Finland
15 years ago
dhpackr, Tramon and Blackmon scored TDs last year, near the end of the season. It was not that long ago.
This is a placeholder
Greg C.
15 years ago

Blackmon's return was the first special teams TD in a long time. I hope he can continue to stay healthy, the guy was a very gifted aqthlete in college, now if he can just stay on the field he could make the all pro team as a special teams freak

"dhpackr" wrote:

Actually, Blackmon returned a punt for a TD against the Raiders near the end of the 2007 season, and Tramon Williams returned a pooch punt for a TD against Carolina. There were two TD's by the cover teams as well last year, after they forced fumbles--one by Jarrett Bush against the Eagles, and one by Blackmon against the Raiders. So this is something the special teams have been doing for a year now.

Edit: Finland beat me to it by three minutes. That's what I get for being so wordy.
blank
dhpackr
15 years ago

"Greg C." wrote:

Actually, Blackmon returned a punt for a TD against the Raiders near the end of the 2007 season, and Tramon Williams returned a pooch punt for a TD against Carolina. There were two TD's by the cover teams as well last year, after they forced fumbles--one by Jarrett Bush against the Eagles, and one by Blackmon against the Raiders. So this is something the special teams have been doing for a year now.

Edit: Finland beat me to it by three minutes. That's what I get for being so wordy.

"dhpackr" wrote:

that is great, the point i was trying to make was ........its been awhile since the Packers had a real threat for a big return on every punt, like when howard and rosum were on the team. will has been hurt quite a bit since he was drafted, i hope he can stay on the field for a full 16 game season
So if you meet me Have some courtesy, Have some sympathy, and some taste
Use all your well-learned politesse, Or I'll lay your soul to waste
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (19m) : No.
Mucky Tundra (2h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (3h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (5h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (6h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (17h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.