14 years ago

2009 NFC Champions with a HOF QB that actually knows what he is doing.

"marstc09" wrote:

Does he seem like someone who has known what he's been doing over the past couple of years?? :lol:
UserPostedImage
evad04
14 years ago

You know, I read this stuff and I'm torn. On the one hand, I find it hard to have a personal beef with the guy - football's been his life and I can't say I understand what it feels like to walk away from something like that. As for his waffling and gaffes throughout this, it's honestly on par with the rest of his career - he was always saying/doing stupid stuff, we just blew it off because he was "our Brett".

I do see what the "haters" (I'm using this because it's easy, not because I believe it) are saying, though. If you bleed green and gold, this can feel like a betrayal. And once you look at things from an objective viewpoint, the whole thing gets to be a little pathetic.

Here's what I know: He had his best statistical season in 2007 and led the team to the NFCCG. Prior to that season he worked harder to get in shape than he ever had before in his career. Last year he broke down - I don't think even his apologists can say otherwise. Coincidentally, his preparation last year consisted of throwing to some HS kids.

I think you see where I'm going with this. This year (to our knowledge) his prep has consisted of some rehab work on his arm and throwing to HS kids - he engineered it so he wouldn't have to go to training camp. And he's still got the bum shoulder. So from a strictly physical standpoint, the argument can be made that he's more likely to break down again this year than not.

Minnesota's receivers (except for maybe Harvin) are not better than what he had in NY - they're about the same. Obviously, the RB is better, but T. Jones and the other kid in NY weren't slouches. The Jets broke the bank and assembled a very good o-line; the Vikings are going to start the year with untested guys at center and right tackle - it would be foolish to underestimate the impact losing Birk will have, at least early on.

Other than Peterson and the defense (assuming that secondary can keep it together), I don't see much upgrade from the 2008 Jets to the 2009 Vikes. Both HCs are morons.

All together, while I wish Favre the best in Minny (2 games against GB aside, of course), I'm not sure why everyone's so damn positive he's going to get to, much less win, a Super Bowl with them. Looking at everything, he could easily break down this year like he did last year, and conceivably he could get hurt early on while that o-line tries to gel in front of him. If, hypothetically, Kampmann gets loose on him like he did on Quinn, can a 40-year-old Favre get out of the way? I don't know.

So I don't hate him - and I do wish him luck. But I don't see this being a slam dunk by any means, and if it tanks there are several people who will (and should) lose their jobs over it.

"ILikeThePackers39" wrote:

+1 Another well-written post.

I haven't really thought of Favre's injury in relation to his pre-season preparation. It's definitely possible that it contributed to his decline last year. I do think there's a certain degree of luck involved in an injury -- you probably wouldn't begrudge that fact. So, if Brett is "lucky" it's conceivable that he'll be perfectly healthy this year. I REALLY believe that the formula in Minnie will remain the same: run the ball well, play good defense.

So far people have speculated that Favre will change all that. I don't think he will. It will be strange to see how he handles 20-30 attempts a game vs. 35-50 attempts per game. Let us not forget that he completed almost 66% of his passes last year -- with a different system that he was ill-prepared to succeed in. In Minnesota he'll have the best RB in football helping to move the chains AND he'll play playing in a familiar system.

I do like the points you raise, though. It will be "interesting" to see how it plays out. Oh who am I kidding -- my stomach will churn seeing Favre in purple.
William Henderson didn't have to run people over. His preferred method was levitation.
"I'm a reasonable man, get off my case."
DakotaT
14 years ago

i know...let's ask marstc how it works...yeah, yeah...

"marstc09" wrote:

This is how it works.

2008 Division Champions with Gus Frerotte/Tarvaris Jackson

Make sense yet?

"4PackGirl" wrote:

Viking fans like you make the inevitable late season collapse all the more enjoyable. Carry on my friend.
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
14 years ago

he's acting like a spoiled brat.
i'm a mom of twin spoiled brats.
i sure don't hate them & i don't hate brett.
them i can discipline - brett i can't.

lol.

"4PackGirl" wrote:

There is a matter of a couple decades of age that gives two of them an excuse.. the other is just lost in his own fear.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Bigbyfan
14 years ago
I don't see how this puts the Vikes over the top. I see this move as more of an act of desperation by Chilly.
blank
dingus
14 years ago

he's acting like a spoiled brat.
i'm a mom of twin spoiled brats.
i sure don't hate them & i don't hate brett.
them i can discipline - brett i can't.

lol.

"pack93z" wrote:

There is a matter of a couple decades of age that gives two of them an excuse.. the other is just lost in his own fear.

"4PackGirl" wrote:

Wow Pack93z, that's spot on. +1
blank
Cheesey
14 years ago

i know...let's ask marstc how it works...yeah, yeah...

"marstc09" wrote:

This is how it works.

2008 Division Champions with Gus Frerotte/Tarvaris Jackson

Make sense yet?

"4PackGirl" wrote:

Wait a sec.......so.....you will win the title with the SAME QB that you kept telling us was lousy when he was on our team.
Yeah......more Viking "logic".
LOLOL!!!
(Good to see you Mars!!!)
UserPostedImage
Greg C.
14 years ago
I also have a hard time seeing this move as a major improvement for the Vikings. The guy is going to be 40 years old in October, and he looks even older than that. If the arm flares up again, I think we will see yet another "retirement"--during the middle of a season this time.
blank
Bigbyfan
14 years ago

I also have a hard time seeing this move as a major improvement for the Vikings. The guy is going to be 40 years old in October, and he looks even older than that. If the arm flares up again, I think we will see yet another "retirement"--during the middle of a season this time.

"Greg C." wrote:

Nope, it will just be another excuse for his poor play like last year. It will just give him another reason to retire until next August and come back to the Vikes for another try.
blank
El3ment12
14 years ago
Does anyone else like me agree with what Frank tarkenton is saying?