nyrpack
14 years ago
i personally would not ever boo brett, but make no mistake i would not cheer him doing something good against the pack !!
jimmy b.
mi_keys
14 years ago

I noticed noone would answer if they booed Bennett when he went to the Bears or if they booed Lofton.

You people say it's different but i can bet my life that those players wanted to beat the Packers more than anything.

"dhazer" wrote:

A lot of people have answered my stance on the act of booing such as porky did above. And as I said in my original post it only expresses disapproval and there is nothing classless about that (except for, again as Porky mentioned, a situation like the Eagles fans and Irvin's neck injury).

So I thought I'd do my best to answer your question about Lofton and Bennett. You did bring them up before in earlier discussions on Favre but I don't recall if anyone really answered you. I don't remember Lofton at all because I wasn't born until 1988 and i was also pretty young when Bennett left. I know Bennett lost his season in '97 to an injury and was a free agent going into '98. With the emergence of Dorsey Levens we let him go and the Bears offered him a job. I don't remember having interview after interview to talk about how poorly he's being treated and how the Packers should bring him back or how he has thought about getting revenge. I'm sure he wanted to beat the Pack. You'd have to be psychotic to not want to win, especially against a former team and division rival. But he didn't set out to go find a way to embarrass the Packers or try to exact revenge.

That said, Favre appears to have been scheming to end up in this scenario for a long time (and if I recall correctly you've said you thought he was planning on forcing his way out of NY to go to Minnesota long before it actually happened). I believe that Favre has been operating only on the drive to exact revenge upon the Packers for what he perceives as the slights against him. It's not just the destination, but the way this has gone down.

As I said before, you are more than free to disagree with me and anyone else on this matter. This is not a debate of empirical facts, it's a debate largely of emotional responses and what we perceive the motives of others to be.
Born and bred a cheesehead
gopackers08
14 years ago
I say you cheer for him. WHEN HE'S PLAT ON HIS BACK AFTER A KAMPMAN SAAACCKK!
blank
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
14 years ago
It is hard to boo Brett for what he brought to the franchise. Consider also that he is the kind of competitor that thrives on adversity. (Look at all the headbutts and slaps on the rear he has given his oponets when he gave him a good shot.)

I would think 71,000 people standing and turning their backs to him, (No mooning needed.) or 71,000 people who hold the newspaper in front of their face would be more effective.
UserPostedImage
4PackGirl
14 years ago

I noticed noone would answer if they booed Bennett when he went to the Bears or if they booed Lofton.

You people say it's different but i can bet my life that those players wanted to beat the Packers more than anything.

"mi_keys" wrote:

A lot of people have answered my stance on the act of booing such as porky did above. And as I said in my original post it only expresses disapproval and there is nothing classless about that (except for, again as Porky mentioned, a situation like the Eagles fans and Irvin's neck injury).

So I thought I'd do my best to answer your question about Lofton and Bennett. You did bring them up before in earlier discussions on Favre but I don't recall if anyone really answered you. I don't remember Lofton at all because I wasn't born until 1988 and i was also pretty young when Bennett left. I know Bennett lost his season in '97 to an injury and was a free agent going into '98. With the emergence of Dorsey Levens we let him go and the Bears offered him a job. I don't remember having interview after interview to talk about how poorly he's being treated and how the Packers should bring him back or how he has thought about getting revenge. I'm sure he wanted to beat the Pack. You'd have to be psychotic to not want to win, especially against a former team and division rival. But he didn't set out to go find a way to embarrass the Packers or try to exact revenge.

That said, Favre appears to have been scheming to end up in this scenario for a long time (and if I recall correctly you've said you thought he was planning on forcing his way out of NY to go to Minnesota long before it actually happened). I believe that Favre has been operating only on the drive to exact revenge upon the Packers for what he perceives as the slights against him. It's not just the destination, but the way this has gone down.

As I said before, you are more than free to disagree with me and anyone else on this matter. This is not a debate of empirical facts, it's a debate largely of emotional responses and what we perceive the motives of others to be.

"dhazer" wrote:

wow - awesome post! clear, concise, & no sarcasm. +1.
Zero2Cool
14 years ago
When the Vikings play the Packers, I don't see 4, I see purple.
UserPostedImage
dhazer
14 years ago
btw i dont understand if people know where i'm coming from, but i would cheer him during intros just because he is a Packer Legend (no denying that) but once the game starts he is a viking plain and simple. It's not like i would be cheering for him to throw tds.
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
RedSoxExcel
14 years ago
I think you boo the players on other teams because they are playing on another team, not the player on a personal level. IMO, you boo a guy like Vick who drowned dogs personally if you for example own a dog but a guy who played 16 years with all he had, you don't. But to each his own and thats why we live in such a great country.

I'm not expert on Lambeau field, only have seen a few games there but when I was there the fans arn't exactly the Dog Pound or soemthing. They are pretty respectful and VERY VERY knowledgable about the game.

I think they will understand what happened and appreciate Favre for what he did because he's like a son to them that they watched grow up and do great things. Right now he is struggling by making a bad decision in their opinion (signing with the Vikes). I think they will give him a standing ovation when he comes out and then boo him and the rest of the Vikes because he's a Viking and not because he's Brett Favre.

But I'm sure others on here have season tickets and are in a much better position to comment on Lambeau fans because my opinion is mostly speculation having only gone to a few games.
blank
gijoe82
14 years ago

personally I would boo becuase I interpret his actions to be at least partially motivated by a personal vendetta against the packers. I consider it very disrespectful of the team that treated him so well, thus, I don't think he deserves any respect from me while he's wearing a viking's uniform.

I also think the Ted Thompson mask idea is pretty funny.

"musccy" wrote:

First off the NFL is just a tv show I dont get why people would get so worked up over favre playing for the vikings. We did fire him after all. If you guys were fired from your job at microsoft, would you have a clean conscience about working for apple if they offered you a job? I would.
If it is for revenge sake I think it will blow up in his face. The williams wall faces a 4 game suspension and that could mean the difference of a 12-4 team going 8-8. I think those two are way more important than the singing of favre this year. Its AP's offense afterall.
Dont get me worng I love football and I am here discussing it with you guys, but quite frankley I think its kind of fun, its going to make for some entertaining entertainment.
blank
gijoe82
14 years ago

I say you cheer for him. WHEN HE'S PLAT ON HIS BACK AFTER A KAMPMAN SAAACCKK!

"gopackers08" wrote:

I think we ought to cheer him like we always have and let him do what he always does. Favres going to be so jacked up to play the pack (especially in G.B.) that hes going to throw to Wood twice Collins once and once to bishop. and would we not cheer that? :thumbleft:
blank