Zero2Cool
15 years ago

Punter cant explain gaffe
Detroit - His teammates stood motionless and glanced around for any answers as to what had happened.

His position coach had never seen that happen in 18 years in the National Football League.

Fans watching at home might have needed the Heimlich maneuver performed to remove a wayward pretzel.

Whatever other reactions there were to Derrick Frosts muffed catch of a punt snap that led to a crucial safety in the fourth quarter Sunday against the Detroit Lions, Frost was right there with them.

I was obviously stunned, said Frost, whose Green Bay Packers eventually won, 48-25. That has never happened to me. Not in the preseason. Not in a practice. Never.

The Packers had just failed to gain a first down, after giving up a touchdown that shaved their lead to 24-16, with 11 minutes 44 seconds left. The snap for the punt was a little high from Brett Goode, but Frost didnt have to leap to catch it. He raised his arms to catch the ball at the goal line, and it simply went through his hands and out the back of the end zone for two points.

I just didnt catch it. I really just didnt catch it, Frost said. I dont know why it happened, it just did. Im not real happy. I feel like I let a lot of guys down, especially when we needed some momentum and I just didnt help us at all trying to get it back. Its the way it goes sometimes, unfortunately.

The Packers held after Frosts free kick as the punter sat on the end of the bench by himself for a while.

The Packers specifically released Jon Ryan after final cuts so they could sign Frost, who had been cut by the Washington Redskins. His directional punting has definitely been an improvement over Ryan in the Packers first two games. But even that failed Frost on his first punt after the safety. His 52-yarder down the middle was returned for 20 yards.

Yeah, it was too low, Frost said. I was trying to get it out there and I just reached for it and just drove it down the middle.

Im just really disappointed in my performance late in the game. I really feel like thats one of the reasons they brought me in here and I really pride myself in coming up when I need to. I just didnt today. People are going to try to analyze it and find reasons for it. Sometimes bad things just happen.

Injury list: [ul]Fullback Korey Hall injured his left knee in the first quarter and didnt return. Coach Mike McCarthy gave no indication about the severity of the injury.

Safety Atari Bigby suffered what he called a cramp in his hamstring on the Lions last play from scrimmage of the first half. If forced to continue, Bigby said he could have.

Safety Aaron Rouse replaced Bigby even though he suffered a sprained ankle Thursday in practice and sat out Friday.

I was limited, Rouse said. I was not 100%.

With Rouse hurt, it was expected that safety Charlie Peprah would serve as the No. 3 safety. Instead, Peprah was inactive. He suffered a hamstring injury Aug. 5 but practiced last week.

I feel I could have went, Peprah said. But when they make their decisions who knows what theyre thinking.[/ul]

Line shuffle: [ul]In the middle of the first half, right guard Tony Moll was sent to the bench in favor of second-year guard Allen Barbre in an attempt by the coaches to get Barbre some experience.

Barbre went in at left guard and Daryn Colledge moved over from left guard to replace Moll. The coaches gave Barbre a series in the second half, too.

Its hard to get a sense of what a guy is capable of doing until you get him in a game, offensive coordinator Joe Philbin said. It wasnt that we said Tony has to come out of the game, its just more in the lines of over the long haul theres a lot of variables and things can happen.

Allens earned some opportunities to play in the game and we need to see how he responds in the game.

Center Scott Wells and guard Josh Sitton, both starters in training camp, will be back from injury soon. Then the coaches will have some difficult choices to make because if they decide to return both to the lineup, either Colledge or Jason Spitz will have to go to the bench.[/ul]

Looking ahead: [ul]Someone asked quarterback Aaron Rodgers during his postgame news conference whether he was looking forward to going back to Dallas next week.

I wish we were going to Dallas, but were not, Rodgers said, reminding the reporter that the game is in Green Bay.

Rodgers relieved Brett Favre during the game against the Cowboys last season in Dallas and almost engineered a come-from-behind victory.

Im excited about starting out the game 0-0 against them, Rodgers said. They have a big game (tonight) and well be watching that. They have a great team.[/ul]

UserPostedImage
gbpfan
15 years ago
hope he learned from yesterday that could have hurt us big time,it seemed after that that the lions got hungry again but then the troops came and put the game away :icon_smile:
15 years ago

Im excited about starting out the game 0-0 against them, Rodgers said. They have a big game (tonight) and well be watching that. They have a great team.[/ul]

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

Ha! GREAT quote.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (25m) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (1h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (11h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (18h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (19h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (20h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (23h) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

23h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.