Greg C.
14 years ago
So what did everyone think? This is the team we are going to be facing twice this year and competing with for the division crown.

I thought Favre played a solid game overall. The Vikings did not try to throw the ball downfield a whole lot, so it remains to be seen how accurate Favre is on the longer throws. He threw a good one for Harvin in the end zone that went off his fingertips, but Harvin was held a bit by the DB on the play and should've laid out for the ball anyway.

On another occasion, Favre threw one up for grabs into double coverage and was praised by Ron Jaworski for "giving his guy a chance to make a play," but then, we've come to expect that kind of thing from the TV announcers when Favre plays.

I thought Favre was best on the short passes--the little flares and dump-offs. With the kind of talent the Vikings have, these plays should be effective for them. Favre was able to make the Texans pay for some blitzes, especially on the TD to Chester Taylor.

I think he is going to get blitzed a lot this season. He is not as mobile as he used to be, and on those two sacks, he crumpled to the ground without hardly being touched. He can still make a nifty move to avoid contact at times, though. If Favre can stay healthy, he should be effective working with this Vikings offense.
blank
Zero2Cool
14 years ago
If Brett is rushed and forced out of the pocket, he will not be an issue. If you give him time in the pocket, he will eat you alive.

What I seen from Brett last night, does not worry me. He had some nice plays, but when asked to do more than 5 - 7 yard dump offs, he was not on target. The corner throw for Harvin is an example. From the two replays I've seen of it, it could have been placed better. Considering he's only been back for two weeks, it was not that bad. If he had been there all of camp and missed that, that would be bad.

Show Favre different looks, pressure him and he won't be an issue. The more I see him play, the more I do not fear him. Which makes me wish he had stayed retired the first time. It's tough watching someone you looked up to in such a frail state from what you're used to seeing.
UserPostedImage
PackFanWithTwins
14 years ago
Wasn't really impressed, he missed a lot when getting pressure, had a couple nice passes to TE and WR short across the middle. Did throw a nice pass that Percy short armed and missed. But he did have the normal 2 or 3 balls that could have been INTs.

The only thing that make his stats look good is the run after the catch on the screen by Taylor, and that has far more to do with Taylor that Brett.

As expected, stop the run stop the vikes. Their pass defense did not look to good, Brett was getting pressured, and dumped a couple times.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
dyeah_gb
14 years ago
Did anyone see that wildcat play?

Favre looks weird enough in a vikings uniform but to see him lineup as a WR was even more strange. Then he gets hit for a blocking penalty. I thought it was insane to make a block at the defense knees like that. Plays like that can lead to late hits on the QB later in the game.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool - R. Feynman
14 years ago
Eh. I mean maybe that offense will click later on during the season, but I was less than impressed. Peterson is still a monster, and Taylor is a good backup RB, but I didn't see anything to fear at all. They look like the same old Vikings. Decent but unimpressive.
Plus this was against Houston's D, who after Ryans, seem to have one decent player (M. Williams) and a bunch of space holders.
UserPostedImage
dhazer
14 years ago
you guys will just call me a Favre fister but i thought he played good for the time he has been in camp. The part that scares me is that he is playing into their system of ball control. Remember people on here say that he won't play into their style and he did that last night.
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
longtimefan
14 years ago
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d8124baec/Brett-Favre-highlights 

Got the missed td pass that Zero thought was thrown bad (i think was a great throw) the chop block, 2 sacks on him, and a few passes
PackFanWithTwins
14 years ago

you guys will just call me a Favre fister but i thought he played good for the time he has been in camp. The part that scares me is that he is playing into their system of ball control. Remember people on here say that he won't play into their style and he did that last night.

"dhazer" wrote:

If he keeps that up, they will be good. Last night, Peterson gave them a quick 7-0 lead. It is a little easier to play like that when in the lead. My question is what is going to happen when MN gets behind. Will Brett continue to play in the game plan, or try to take things over.

The key is still stopping Peterson and Taylor. Hate to say it, but Make Brett beat us.

One note for the coaching staff. WATCH OUT FOR THE SCREEN ON 3RD AND LONG
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
Trippster
14 years ago
I thought he played well and under control. He moved well in the pocket except when williams sacked him. nice dump offs, which they will do alot this year as they have the threat of Favre throwing it 15 yards on a rope so it keeps the corners and LB's honest and they can't cheat to get to the back coming out of hte backfield.

That bewing said, I don't think they can hang with us for a full game. their offense is not near as prolific as ours and their D did not look that great to me.

Favre did what Favre needed to. He made audibles at the line, accurate passes except for one or two (I think he was 11 for 15) plus there were two balls that I though should have been caught. Bad pass to the flat on one and the throw that Jaws talked about could have been thrown better.

I give him a 'B"
"Let Your Light Shine!"
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
Favre's passes had some zip, though their accuracy was questionable, and he showed no desire to pass downfield. Whether the opportunity to play with Peterson has transformed him into a dink-and-dunk passer remains to be seen, but I suspect he'll get bored with that role soon enough. Favre looked like he was wearing concrete shoes back there; he spent almost as much time on his back as on his feet. For all the talk of the Vikings' great offensive line, they looked terrible last night.

Incidentally, I think we are going to see a shitload of roughing-the-passer penalties when Favre is in the game this year. The refs called one flagrantly wrong RTP last night. No referee is going to want to be the guy on whose watch the most popular QB in NFL history went down with injury, so they're going to be extra trigger happy. It will be an interesting dynamic to watch.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (9h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (16h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (17h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (17h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (21h) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (23h) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (23h) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (23h) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (23h) : Against tbd
dfosterf (23h) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (23h) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (23h) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (23h) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (23h) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (23h) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
dfosterf (25-Mar) : A major foul will be enforced on the offense if there are offsetting penalties in a change of possession situation
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Teams will receive a 3rd challenge if 1 was successful. Previously, it took 2
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

21h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.