dfosterf
14 years ago
Link 

Huge post...sorry--Some might have not had the opportunity to read it-

Covers a large percentage of what we discuss here all off-season from the HC perspective..(when he isn't PO'd at the media)

McCarthy likes the look of 2009 Packers
Posted: Sept. 12, 2009

Green Bay One of seven first-time head coaches in the National Football League when hired in 2006, Mike McCarthy now finds himself as one of only four still on the same job.

Fired were Scott Linehan in St. Louis, Eric Mangini by the New York Jets and Rod Marinelli in Detroit.

Among those left standing, McCarthy's overall record of 28-22 (.560) ranks higher than fellow survivors Sean Payton (.520) in New Orleans, Brad Childress (.490) in Minnesota and Gary Kubiak (.458) in Houston.
In fact, McCarthy's winning percentage is tied for fifth best among the active coaches with more than two years of experience.

It's also slightly better than Mike Holmgren (29-23, .558) posted in his first three seasons.

In the mercurial world that is NFL football, McCarthy has about as much stability as you'll find.

With four years remaining on a February 2008 contract extension averaging about $4 million per year along with the support of management, the 45-year-old McCarthy could be in Green Bay for a long time.

All he has to do now is get back to winning.

The last two years have been filled with dizzying ups and downs. First, shocking the experts by winning 13 games in 2007. Then shocking them for all the wrong reasons and winning merely six games in 2008.

At the crowded annual civic luncheon 10 days ago introducing the 91st team in franchise history, McCarthy used the word "buzz" four or five times to describe the burgeoning optimism that he senses among fans. Some are talking Super Bowl, a game that McCarthy was an overtime away from reaching in January 2008.

In an interview Tuesday with the Journal Sentinel's Bob McGinn, McCarthy discussed his hopes for another bounce-back season, why last season spun out of control and how his team expects to play in 2009.

Q.By now it should be apparent that the Packers are a pretty good team. You also should have an idea how the rest of the NFC stacks up. I know the Super Bowl will always be your goal. Does this team have the scheme and the players to get there this year?

A. we've gone through training camp at a high . . . To say it's apparent level of efficiency. We like our players. Now we need to go one week at a time and play at a high level. I think our division definitely has improved this year and we think we're up to the challenge.

Q.Barring a rash of injuries, is there any reason to think the Packers wouldn't be much improved and at least post a winning season and be fighting for the playoffs in late December?

A. If we do not have injuries, I feel very confident we'll be a very much improved football team.

Q.Nineteen of the 22 current starters also were starting in 2007 and now have another year of experience. Does this team look better to you than the '07 club?

A. That's a question you and I should talk about at the end of the year. We had a more productive training camp than we had in '07. I really felt that the biggest strength of the '07 team was the improvement from September to December. We played our best football down the stretch. The quarterback played at a very high level, as did our defense. Our preseason this year has gone differently.

Q.Every coach has concerns entering a new season. What areas of this team, both in terms of personnel and performance, are you wondering if they're good enough?

A. The only thing I ever concern myself with is health. That's the biggest obstacle you have to overcome. I like what our team looks like.

Q.The fall from 13-3 to 6-10 last year marked the steepest one-year decline in franchise history. In your self-study, where did you drop the ball as a coach in 2008?

A. My name is on the win-loss record. You have to look at some of the adjustments you make. We had some injuries. Did we do a good enough job overcoming them? I think we did not. You do that by developing the depth of your team and by making sure you have the schemes and personnel groupings in place to take advantage of other people's abilities. I think we've improved in that area. That's the starting point of my evaluation.

Q.You've said you tried to return to basics in the off-season. What did you mean by that?

A. You have to go back to what makes you successful. Since (2006), this is the most time I spent around the team in the off-season program. I went down in the morning (to the weight room). When you take a step back, you have to get back to the basics. When you start getting involved in draft meetings and other things you can get pulled away from what ultimately is most important. That's the development of your football team. I felt last year due to circumstances that definitely were out of my control, I felt like I was being pulled away from what I had (done). I just made sure I was around the football team as much as I possibly could. Last year in training camp, I felt like I was a damn spokesperson for the Green Bay Packers based on the distraction that was created. We had a long season (in 2007). Those are good problems to have. There were awards banquets and things like that. But I was in and out of town. Joe's (Philbin) waiting on me. Now you know why certain head coaches that have been successful don't do those things. When you go through it the first time it's different. You always talk to your players about handling success. There's more things people want you to do. Frankly, you have to learn how to say no.

Q.You fired seven coaches shortly after last season. Certainly, you realize the gravity of your decision and its unprecedented nature in Green Bay. What made you do it, and do you finally have your staff right?

A. On a personal note, that's something that was very difficult. Professionally, I did it because I felt it was in the best interests for our football program. We've taken a new direction. I'm excited about what we've accomplished so far and I think the future is bright.

Q.Given the fact that Bob Sanders had never been a coordinator, was it a mistake hiring him to run the defense in the first place?

A. We accomplished some very positive things on defense the first couple years. I felt I wanted more experience over there at defensive coordinator and the defensive staff. I obviously did not feel it was just Bob Sanders' fault. That's because so many changes were made. I felt we could have done a better job supporting the coordinator by having some more answers to the problems that we went through.

Q. Among the others you interviewed for the coordinators job back in 2006, Vic Fangio, Jerry Gray and Donnie Henderson all were running 3-4 defenses. Do you kick yourself for not going with the 3-4 sooner?

A. I dont live in the past. I made the decision to stay with the original scheme. I dont look back on it.

Q. What has been more impressive this summer? Dom Capers 3-4 base defense or the various sub package he uses on passing downs?

A. Its really a toss-up. I definitely believe you have to have a base to build off of. Doms system creates that with the 3-4 because it has the flexibility to give you different pressure packages in both base and sub. But really the foundation of the defense is stopping the run, and Ive been impressed with that.

Q. You talked to many coaches before hiring Capers, including Gregg Williams, Mike Nolan and Jim Haslett. Theres been a lot written and said about that search, and Williams has said he was offered the job. What really happened, and did it all work out for the best with Capers?

A. Im very happy Dom Capers is part of our staff. The most important decision in putting together a staff is the fit, both personally and professionally. And I think Dom Capers is the best fit for Green Bay. The rest is old news. I had the opportunity to interview all four of those guys. I thought they were all excellent candidates. They are all experts in their scheme. It wasnt scheme. It wasnt personality. It was really the right fit.

Q.The other night in Tennessee, Capers went an entire game without even once rushing more than four. What is his fire-zone package going to look like in the regular season?

A. The opponents will dictate how we come after them. We have base pressure concepts that will be in every week. How we mask that or which personnel it comes from, the opponent will play a big part in that. I really like the playbook. It has excellent diversity to it. It will challenge the offense week in and week out. He does a very good job utilizing all our players. It's not really built around just one pressure player. It attacks you from a personnel matchup standpoint and schematically based on what you do protection-wise. It's a very good scheme.

Q.Do you have enough pass rushers that can win one-on-one so Capers won't have to resort to six- or seven-man pressures?

A. Yes, I think so. Most importantly is the ability to create the one-on-one. They can't come in and double an Aaron Kampman or a Cullen Jenkins. I think Cullen is a very good pressure player. Johnny Jolly definitely has the ability; Mike Trgovac is doing a good job developing him. B.J. Raji has shown he definitely has the ability with his foot speed. Mike Montgomery can go inside and apply some pressure. We're excited about Jarius Wynn. I know his best football is ahead of him, but he has shown some pass-rush ability.

Q.The run defense was pretty awful a year ago, finishing with the Packers' worst ranking (26th) since 1983. Your top four defensive linemen have incredible bulk, the inside backers are stacked four deep and the outside backers are being taught to play physically. Will the run defense end up being a strength?

A. The run defense will be better this year. I feel strongly about that. Any successful defense has to stop the run. If you can't stop the run people will put three tight ends and two backs on the field. Run defense is more about attitude than technique. We have the players to stop the run. There's a lot more disruption in this scheme. Just in our base alignment we're bigger. We have five men on the line of scrimmage in our base front and they're bigger people. We have the ability to cause disruption with the movement of our line more than in the past. Letting our linebackers run will definitely help us. The other thing is our corners are a lot more active.

Q.To be good, any zone coverage scheme requires tremendous communication and coordination among the three layers of defense. Will the Packers have to win some shootouts early while the coverage settles in?

A. Time will answer that question. I don't anticipate that. Chicago has definitely improved on offense so they'll definitely challenge you more. How many shootouts will we be in? You'll never know that. I'll say this: we're playing a lot more aggressive on defense. Our tempo on defense has increased. With that, we'll get more production.

Q.Do you think you'll have to hide Aaron Kampman and Brady Poppinga in coverage? If so, can you do it?

A. No, I don't think we need to hide Aaron or Brady in coverage. When they're playing zone, they need to play to their leverage and to their help. We're not going to ask Aaron and Brady to lock up and play man-to-man all day.

Q.The five main defensive coaches new to the staff are Capers, Mike Trgovac, Kevin Greene, Darren Perry and Joe Whitt. How would you briefly describe each of them?

A. Dom is an excellent leader. Extremely detailed. Very experienced. (Trgovac) is passionate, intelligent, experienced, excellent fit. (Greene) is aggressive. Brings a different personality than we've had there in the past. He's off to an excellent start in his coaching career. (Perry) is very well-rounded. Has an excellent understanding of the scheme, both from a player's perspective and as a coach. Very good communicator. An up-and-coming assistant coach. (Whitt) is tough, detailed, organized. Has a very bright future.

Q. Joe Philbin has said that the offense he coordinates stunk on the opening drive, stunk on the first drive of the second half and didnt play well in two-minute. What have you tried to do about those things?

A. We spent more time on those specific areas during the off-season and with reps in OTAs and training camp.

Q. Last year the Packers ended up running on 43.2% of their plays, just under the NFL average of 44.6% and considerably more than in 2007 (40.0%). With all these weapons in the passing game, what's the role of the run game this season?

A. Everything we do does starts with the run regardless what the percentages state. You have to be able to run the football because half your passing game is built off that. All your (play-)action passing game, particularly in normal down and distance, will not be a factor unless you can run the ball. I'd be comfortable at 57-43.

Q.I think you've always wanted a big, drive-blocking right side of the offensive line. Will Josh Sitton and Allen Barbre fit the power game you prefer?

A. I feel our right side has an opportunity to be very physical. Josh Sitton is a bigger, squarer body. He does a very good job moving people. I've been very impressed with Allen Barbre, both on the front side and the back side. We have a chance to have a strong right side.

Q.Barbre had his best camp but once again got into a bunch of fights and had some rocky practices. Are you confident that he's stable enough to hold up at a position where Mark Tauscher was so reliable for nine seasons?

A. I have confidence in Allen. He's had a good camp. Fighting in training camp sometimes doesn't always equate to how he's going to play in the game. Sometimes that's just part of camp. I don't think he's an unstable person at all. It's been nice to watch him grow up. He's put himself in position to have an excellent year.

Q.Opposing coaches and personnel people have said Green Bay mixes its personnel groupings and formations as well as any team in the league. Does this offense look the way you want it to?

A. Yes, it looks the way Joe and I have envisioned it. It's a multiple personnel, multiple concept offense. I think we've done a very good job utilizing our players. Creating better angles for them in run blocking. Being smart with the heavy lifting in pass protection as far as who's doing it and when. Trying not to take a very skilled athlete like Jermichael (Finley) and Donald (Lee) and asking them to (pass block) all the time. We're definitely very perimeter-conscious because we do have a talented perimeter group.

Q.How much does the Packers' offensive playbook differ from a year ago? Who draws up most of the new plays, you or Joe Philbin?

A. It's a collective effort from the staff. After the season, every play, every concept is graded. It's a very in-depth process, something we start immediately after the season. Most of it is done before the combine. That's where all the creativity comes. In February and March we've involved in scheme development. Then Joe and I will make the final decision on what new ideas we're going to put in.

Q. Philbin has the semi-thankless task of being an offensive coordinator under an offensive-minded coach who calls the plays. What are his primary talents? Where does he help the most?

A. Joe Philbin does a great job. Hes extremely organized. Hes a very good leader in the offensive staff room and in front of the offense. Hes a very good communicator. He has a great personality that keeps the players on edge. He does a very good job taking command of the room. Hes an excellent teacher. I could see Joe teaching at the university level. Hes played a huge part in the development of our young team. He was highly recommended when I came here. I knew of Joes reputation in Iowa. When I was an assistant coach I kept an assistant coachs depth chart if I was given the opportunity to be a head coach. Joe was on my depth chart.

Q.Is Aaron Rodgers primed to have perhaps a better season than any quarterback you've ever coached?

A. Wow. I would like to think so. He's definitely prepared himself to play at that level. God willing and he stays healthy, takes care of business week in and week out as far as running the offense, playing on time and not trying to get too far in front of himself, I think he'll have a huge year. He's very good.

Q.What has the development of Jermichael Finley meant for you as an offensive strategist?

A. Jermichael Finley is another playmaker. You can never have enough playmakers, specifically down the middle of the field. Its a big part of what youre trying to do. Weve been very good on the perimeter. But the ability to have two, potentially three players going down the middle of the field gives you flexibility in your game plan. He's got a chance to be something special.

Q.The special teams were bad in 2006, good in 2007 and pretty bad in 2008. What makes you think they'll be respectable this year?

A. I have a lot of confidence in Shawn Slocum. He's been a member of our staff from the beginning. He's had the chance to put his blueprint on this group. I really like the emphasis on fundamentals and some of the new techniques that we've applied. Volume is going to be cut down. That definitely will help us. Probably the biggest factor is we've been very young on special teams. Now in year four I think we're going to be much improved from a personnel standpoint.

Q.You always talk about playing fast. Is this a faster team than what you've had here in the past?

A. By the stopwatch I'm not 100% sure. But the understanding of our schemes and the aggressiveness of the defense and the plays on offense that are being called, I think we've given our players the opportunity to play more aggressively. That leads you to play faster.

Q.The Packers led the NFL in penalty yards in 2008 after having the second most in 2007. One year can be an anomaly but two years starts to be a trend. Is there something about the way you operate a football team that would be responsible for this?

A. You have to take a close look at the penalties. I thought we had too many pre-snap penalties last year as compared to the year before. Our defense, with the match coverage and so much man-to-man, our percentage of pass interference was higher than most teams. Those are areas we can improve on based on how we're playing now. I think we run a very disciplined program here. So I don't think that's reflective of that at all. You have to have discipline whether you're playing with vision or not. But comparing this to how we played in the past, there will probably be less opportunities (for penalties).

nyrpack
14 years ago
i like the way we look too !!

now lets go do it and stop reading our praises and go to work !!
jimmy b.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Stefon Diggs' trade will not be processed as a post-June 1 designation, so that is just over $31 million in dead cap this year.
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Bills trading WR Stefon Diggs to the Texans in exchange for a 2025 2nd-round pick. (via @rapsheet)
beast (3-Apr) : Using Patterson as RB and RB/WR tweener... so I think they also signed Patterson as a 3rd down RB, not just a kick returner as articles are
beast (3-Apr) : I think PFT missed the real Steelers/Patterson connection, Steelers new OC Arthur Smith has been Patterson's head coach the last 3 years
wpr (2-Apr) : It has Martha. I was stunned when I was in HS to learn Iowa was still playing half court BB in the 70's.
Martha Careful (2-Apr) : Caitlin Clark, Angel Reese...women's sports has come a long way. GREAT TO SEE!!
Martha Careful (31-Mar) : Happy Easter everyone. I hope you all have a great day.
dfosterf (28-Mar) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (28-Mar) : Yes
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : No.
Mucky Tundra (28-Mar) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (28-Mar) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

11h / Random Babble / Martha Careful

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

10-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

8-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

5-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

5-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

4-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

4-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

4-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.