Zero2Cool
15 years ago

[img_r]http://cmsimg.greenbaypressgazette.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=U0&Date=20080917&Category=PKR01&ArtNo=80917200&Ref=AR&Profile=1058&MaxW=318&Border=0[/img_r]Scott Wells still needs to get through two more days of practice without any setbacks but if he does, theres a good chance the Green Bay Packers will have their starting center back for Sunday nights game against the

Wells returned to practice on Wednesday. He had been out since he aggravated his lower back injury in the Aug. 16 preseason game at San Francisco.

His return could be a boost to an offensive line that had protection problems last season against the Cowboys, who recorded three sacks and nine total hits on Packers quarterbacks Brett Favre and Aaron Rodgers in the Nov. 29 game at Texas Stadium.

Its good timing injury-wise because Scotty looks like hes going to come back this week, which definitely helps our line out, Rodgers said. Thats an improvement for us and helps us out.

That said, protection has not been a major concern the first two weeks of this season. Rodgers has been sacked only once in two games.

Really, the sack is more on me because I held the ball too long, Rodgers said.

Having an experienced center like Wells, who became the primary starter in 2005, could help against the Cowboys because they play a 3-4 defense a front the Packers do not often face. Playing against that kind of defense often requires the center and quarterback to make more calls and adjustments at the line of scrimmage.

When youre facing a 3-4, its all about communication, Rodgers said. They want to single your guys up in one-on-one matchups, and were trusting those guys to win. Ive got a lot of confidence in those guys.

Officially, Wells was listed as a limited participant in practice. If he does return to the starting lineup, its unclear how the other interior line positions would be affected. Jason Spitz, a regular starter at guard, has been filling in at center, while the guard spots have been occupied by Daryn Colledge (left guard) and Tony Moll (right guard).

Also, rookie guard Josh Sitton returned to practice on a limited basis for the first time since he injured a knee in the Aug. 22 preseason game at Denver. Sitton had been the No. 1 right guard until his injury.

I would say Scott is ahead of Josh as far as being ready, Packers coach Mike McCarthy said. I didnt watch them specifically, but Scott went through the flow of practice at a good pace.

The Packers practiced in full pads on Wednesday and will do so again on Thursday.

We want to see Scott do as much as we can, McCarthy said. Its just a matter if he can go through both practices.

Other injuries
[ul]In addition to safety Atari Bigby (hamstring), who is not expected to play against the Cowboys, others who did not practice Wednesday were fullback Korey Hall (knee), tight end Tory Humphrey (knee) and cornerback Charles Woodson (toe).

Hall and Humphrey wont practice before Friday. Woodson may not practice all week but is expected to play.

Running back Ryan Grant (hamstring) was limited, but McCarthy said he was further along than he was last week. Also limited was left tackle Chad Clifton (knees).

Defensive end Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila (knee) and receiver Ruvell Martin (finger) were full participants.[/ul]

Familiar faces
[ul]Not only did the Packers play the Cowboys last November, but the Packers' coaching staff spent a week working with several Cowboys players last February in Hawaii.

McCarthy and his staff coached the NFC Pro Bowl team, which included a league-record 13 players from Dallas roster. McCarthy joked that half our team was the Dallas Cowboys.

Theyre very good players; they were a bunch of good guys to be around, too, McCarthy said when asked what advantage could be gained from coaching them.

You can see why they are successful. I thought as a whole they were all professional. They were very easy to work with, very talented. I think that question is more on a specific, individual matter, but hopefully we can take advantage of that Sunday night.
[/ul]
Odds and ends
[ul]Former Packers linebacker Abdul Hodge signed a practice-squad contract with the Cincinnati Bengals. Hodge was cut by the Packers on Sept. 1.[/ul]

UserPostedImage
twebdonny
15 years ago
Hopefully his return will prop up the running game somewhat as it hasn't been what it can and should be.

DJ
www.travel-ascending.com
shield4life
15 years ago
Well if I we're Mike McCarthy I would keep him out this week for an extra week off, even if we lost this game big deal ... I rather have him back for playoffs then just for a few snaps
Glad To Be A Packers Fan.
gbpfan
15 years ago
that is true playoffs sounds good to me and i think with the front guys they have been doing fine but the peanlties those hurt wonder if that is because wells has been out
yooperfan
15 years ago

Well if I we're Mike McCarthy I would keep him out this week for an extra week off, even if we lost this game big deal ... I rather have him back for playoffs then just for a few snaps

"krazygangsta" wrote:

I agree, keep him out and make sure he gets healthy.
Also it makes no sense to me to juggle the offensive line around for this game on such short notice.
15 years ago
Eh, I disagree. You NEED communication against a 3-4 defense and Wells is the brains behind that line.
UserPostedImage
bozz_2006
15 years ago
we wouldn't be juggling the offensive line. we'd be returning to normal. the first two weeks have been with a juggled line. the change would mean that we get our normal center back and our normal guard gets to return to playing guard. bring wells back.
UserPostedImage
yooperfan
15 years ago

we wouldn't be juggling the offensive line. we'd be returning to normal. the first two weeks have been with a juggled line. the change would mean that we get our normal center back and our normal guard gets to return to playing guard. bring wells back.

"bozz_2006" wrote:

You call it change, I call it juggling, it's a matter of semantics.
I just don't think it's prudent with Wells being rusty.
Pack93z
15 years ago

Eh, I disagree. You NEED communication against a 3-4 defense and Wells is the brains behind that line.

"MassPackersFan" wrote:

Normally I would agree.. but at times Wells appears to be part of the communication issues along the line..

The Railbird site questioned if we have one of the best lines in the NFL.. I think it is not even close that we are far from the best. Maybe on the the best tackle combos out there.. but our interior line has been inconsistent from 05 on... right up to the end of the preseason..

So with two decent weeks under the belts do we tinker with that lineup, even though at times Moll looks like a fullback cause he is knocked so far off the LOS?

Tough call in my opinion with a very aggressive front coming into town.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
bozz_2006
15 years ago

"yooperfan" wrote:

You call it change, I call it juggling, it's a matter of semantics.
I just don't think it's prudent with Wells being rusty.

"bozz_2006" wrote:

fair enough
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (2h) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (9h) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Stefon Diggs' trade will not be processed as a post-June 1 designation, so that is just over $31 million in dead cap this year.
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Bills trading WR Stefon Diggs to the Texans in exchange for a 2025 2nd-round pick. (via @rapsheet)
beast (3-Apr) : Using Patterson as RB and RB/WR tweener... so I think they also signed Patterson as a 3rd down RB, not just a kick returner as articles are
beast (3-Apr) : I think PFT missed the real Steelers/Patterson connection, Steelers new OC Arthur Smith has been Patterson's head coach the last 3 years
wpr (2-Apr) : It has Martha. I was stunned when I was in HS to learn Iowa was still playing half court BB in the 70's.
Martha Careful (2-Apr) : Caitlin Clark, Angel Reese...women's sports has come a long way. GREAT TO SEE!!
Martha Careful (31-Mar) : Happy Easter everyone. I hope you all have a great day.
dfosterf (28-Mar) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (28-Mar) : Yes
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : No.
Mucky Tundra (28-Mar) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (28-Mar) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

23h / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

10-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

8-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

5-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

5-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

4-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

4-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

4-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.