Zero2Cool
14 years ago
Source Link 

The following is the Q&A after Sunday night's 21-15 victory over the Chicago Bears in the season-opener:

Q. What was your impression of the blitz package defensive coordinator Dom Capers used and what did you think was effective and not so effective?

A. It made me think I wish I was still playing. That would be a lot of fun. Tramon Williams got a chance to blitz, (Charles) Woodson got a chance to blitz. I thought the game showed that Brandon Chillar can play all four linebacker spots, Clay Matthews looked active, A.J. Hawk looked active. I'd like to see a little more of Desmond Bishop, but, man, that is one of the most exciting linebacker groups here in a long time. They just don't sit back anymore. The last couple of years it was a sit-back, passive kind of defense, reacting to the quarterback. This defense gives you a lot of different looks. It was very exciting. They looked like they were having fun. In talking to these guys after the game, everybody kept saying there was a trust there. If I'm in my gap, the other guy is going to be where he is supposed to be. In years past, they didn't necessarily trust each other with the defense, so another guy would try to do too much. Next thing you know everything got out of whack. These guys trust each other.

Q. Which of the defensive pressures the Chicago Bears used do you think bothered the Packers the most?

A. It's kind of hard to see which pressures bothered them the most when the Bears got so much pressure out of their left end over the right tackle, Allen Barbre. It basically took Jermichael Finley out of the game plan because he had to go over there and help chip and help block. He's a weapon. That neutralized him because he couldn't get where he had to get. But the one that seemed to give the Packers the most trouble is when you bring a safety up, like they did with (Danieal) Manning. They brought the safety up outside, disguised him, and in the last second blitzed him outside. That seemed to give them trouble. But then again, any pressure from the right outside gave them problems. It can be fixed, but you can't waste Finley. He's a weapon, he needs to be down the field with the matchups we like and the four-wide receiver set, almost like a five-wide, but he's the fifth wide receiver. He's the matchup they like, especially in the red zone. They couldn't do it. So at some point they have to shore up that right side.

Q. Would you bench Barbre this early in the season or do you think you have to give him another week to prove himself?

A. Well, I would like to think you give him one more week of practice and one more game. You like to say that guys have bad games and you have to give them a chance to respond and bounce back. If that doesn't happen, you look to make changes or you just look to give him help in certain situations. Sometimes he played pretty good. It just seemed like the times they needed maximum protection he was fine, but the times he was one-on-one he got a little overextended. He just has to make sure he keeps his feet underneath and make sure he gets stronger at the point of attack. He shouldn't be getting thrown to the ground. That's why he has to get his base better and don't guess what the defensive guy is going to do. React to what he's going to do.

Q. The difference in this game was that Bears quarterback Jay Cutler took whatever chances he needed to take to win whereas Aaron Rodgers didn't take many chances. Is that a sign of immaturity vs. maturity or a sign that you're dealing with two completely different quarterbacks and the way they approach the game?

A. I think it's a sign of patience and impatience. Cutler got a little impatient at times and tried to get back all at once with one throw and Rodgers was just patient, patient and patient, waiting for his opportunity, the last throw to Greg Jennings. 'When I get an opportunity, I won't miss this time.' So he was just waiting for his opportunity to bounce back after missing a couple of receivers. The one thing he didn't do when he was getting sacked was do too much with the ball and turn it over. It was like, take your medicine. 'OK, they sacked me, I can line up again, I can start over.' Too many times a young quarterback tries to avoid the sack and either fumbles the ball or throws an interception.

Q. After seeing the Packers, Bears and Vikings play this weekend, what is your impression of the NFC North? Do you think the division is as good as some people think or do you think it's being oversold?

A. I think it's going to be very competitive. It may be a situation where Green Bay, Chicago and Minnesota may all win 10 games. But my opinion hasn't changed. The Packers are the most talented team in the division and should win the division. They have less questions. The Vikings have the best player in the division, Adrian Peterson, but the most talented team is the Packers. I think the Bears played a lot better than what I thought they would defensively. I didn't think their secondary would hold up as well as it did. I think the Bears are going to be a lot better team than people think. It's going to be a fun year this year.

UserPostedImage
Yerko
14 years ago
I about laughed my ass of on the last question. Poor friggin' Lions are not even mentioned :onfloor:

I like what he says about Barbre. One more week to prove you belong there or you are out. Finley needs to be utilized in almost every passing attack, not blocking or chipping.

I think just about everyone is jacked about our defense....rightfully so.
UserPostedImage
musccy
14 years ago
I love reading what LeRoy has to say after games...he's very insightful and doesn't just regurgitate the usual scripted rhetoric.

It's interesting to think about the snowball effect of Barbre's poor play and how that alters two key weapons (Finley, rbs in the flat) since they need to block instead of provide a check down.
Rockmolder
14 years ago

I love reading what LeRoy has to say after games...he's very insightful and doesn't just regurgitate the usual scripted rhetoric.

It's interesting to think about the snowball effect of Barbre's poor play and how that alters two key weapons (Finley, rbs in the flat) since they need to block instead of provide a check down.

"musccy" wrote:

I agree. Everytime I read his analysis of a game, you read something completely new. He appears to see things that are so little, yet, so important.

Liked what he had to say about Barbre as well. I hope that we're taking the approach that Butler talked about. I don't want to kill of his starting career already, but if he keeps this up, I do want him to return to the bench. Maybe we would've brought in Giacomini last week already, but he wasn't active. Would love to see him play a little if Barbre keeps struggling. It can't be much worse than what Barbre did last week.
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (1h) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (7h) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Stefon Diggs' trade will not be processed as a post-June 1 designation, so that is just over $31 million in dead cap this year.
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Bills trading WR Stefon Diggs to the Texans in exchange for a 2025 2nd-round pick. (via @rapsheet)
beast (3-Apr) : Using Patterson as RB and RB/WR tweener... so I think they also signed Patterson as a 3rd down RB, not just a kick returner as articles are
beast (3-Apr) : I think PFT missed the real Steelers/Patterson connection, Steelers new OC Arthur Smith has been Patterson's head coach the last 3 years
wpr (2-Apr) : It has Martha. I was stunned when I was in HS to learn Iowa was still playing half court BB in the 70's.
Martha Careful (2-Apr) : Caitlin Clark, Angel Reese...women's sports has come a long way. GREAT TO SEE!!
Martha Careful (31-Mar) : Happy Easter everyone. I hope you all have a great day.
dfosterf (28-Mar) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (28-Mar) : Yes
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : No.
Mucky Tundra (28-Mar) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (28-Mar) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

21h / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

10-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

8-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

5-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

5-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

4-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

4-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

4-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.